PL Games to be shown on PPV

Who?! Tell us!!
200.gif


 
This might start to see wages in the game drop to make the game sustainable. Arsenal have had Ozil on a self imposed furlough scheme costing them 10.8 million!!! Without kicking a ball

 
As I mentioned on Friday I attended an online meeting of the Chelsea Supporters Trust yesterday afternoon. It was the Annual General Meeting so a number of topics were discussed.

PPV was discussed in the meeting - indeed it was the main topic - and before I mention what was said I should say that I pay £10 a month for BT Sport and I've never subscribed to Sky Sports. I'm also a ST holder so before lockdown if I wanted to watch an away game which was on Sky I'd go to the pub. If an away match on BT sport I'd watch the game at home.

There was a lot of unhappiness at the payment of £15 a month and if there is to be a charge it should be less e.g. £5. One of the CST board is a member of the Football Supporters Association and that group is to meet today do discuss a plan of action and possibly get the press on board. The Times journalist, Henry Winter has already made some comments on the PPV setup.

During the meeting the comment was made that some clubs in the PL have already asked supporters to pay for their Season Tickets or in some cases part of it. So if you are a ST holder at one of those clubs you are effectively paying twice to watch a game and that is on top of subscriptions to BT Sport, Sky if you pay those organisations. Chelsea is one of the clubs where ST holders haven't paid for this season so would be paying less to watch a game. That assumes they don't subscribe to BT Sport, Sky etc. 

As has been mentioned there will be an increase in illegal streaming. @yorkleyblue and @ForeverCarefree as you have alluded to perhaps PPV and a ST streaming service are the way ahead. Perhaps TV - not just sports coverage - should be seen as another utility e.g. like gas, electricity and water and you only pay for what you use i.e. watch. In these difficult economic times individuals and families could save a fortune. Of course, there is a downside to that with clubs losing out on revenue which can be used to buy players. Some clubs  are more reliant on others for TV revenues. Is port like any other entertainment "service" where organisations are vying for customers' money. I  should add that with a few exceptions I tend to watch only Chelsea and Rangers (some of you will know that I follow Rangers).

As a slight aside, also at the meeting was discussed about fans being allowed back into grounds. The CST has had  discussions with the club and if fans are allowed back into Stamford Bridge it is likely that the maximum capacity would be 7,000 and some parts of the ground would be closed off. A ticket with the purchaser's name on it would be issued so as to ensure that they are not given to someone else. You would also have to turn up at a fixed time. If you didn't, you wouldn't be allowed in.  Fulham Broadway station would be closed so fans would have to walk to West Brompton, Parsons Green, Earl's Court etc. A number of fans do that anyway.

Concern was expressed that when fans are allowed back into grounds that some (and this applies to ST holders) would be reluctant to attend for health reasons and may wish to take a sabbatical. The club has been approached about that with a view to them not missing out when they feel safe to return to the Bridge. It was pointed out that some people who were regular attendees at the Bridge may not return as they have got used to the new norm and the club should be engaged in encouraging them to return.

The issue of away fans was discussed and it was felt that this should be allowed. Away fans add to the atmosphere and their presence at games will be discussed with the powers that be.

Finally, the future of the ground was mentioned and there has been little communication from the club to the CST and Chelsea Pitch Owners. Planning permission did expire in March of this year but due to Covid-19 it has been extended for a year ie. until March 2021. The next CPO AGM is due in January 2021 so hopefully more news then.

Hope the above makes sense.

KTBFFH
Excellent feedback and summary mate, I like several others no doubt,  appreciate the clarity of your words. UTC

 
I’m struggling to see the issue. Perhaps broadcasting is just different in USA. £15 seems a bargain to see your team play for games that weren’t previously scheduled to be on tv. The subscription already paid covers the base amount of games, no?

Pay it and enjoy! I’d be more concerned with the obligation to pay for a tv license for content you do not want. At least with this you have a choice. 

 
So as expected this is now leading to a land grab by the top clubs lead by Man Utd and Liverpool. This is going to f**k the game up.

 
So as expected this is now leading to a land grab by the top clubs lead by Man Utd and Liverpool. This is going to f**k the game up.
Yes, I can see PPV and the land grab being linked together. I wonder if the grab is a step to the European Super League which has been suggested on and off for many years now.

Multiple TV contracts, even more inconvenient kick-off times and could there be down the line no relegation from the Premier League. I hope I'm wrong about the latter as that would lead to lack of motivation among Championship teams. Perhaps I'm becoming more and more cynical in my old age.

 
I’m struggling to see the issue. Perhaps broadcasting is just different in USA. £15 seems a bargain to see your team play for games that weren’t previously scheduled to be on tv. The subscription already paid covers the base amount of games, no?

Pay it and enjoy! I’d be more concerned with the obligation to pay for a tv license for content you do not want. At least with this you have a choice. 
It's just the price for a lot of people. 

No one in the EFL is complaining about the £10 charge. If they'd introduced £10 here I doubt people would squabble.

 
It's just the price for a lot of people. 

No one in the EFL is complaining about the £10 charge. If they'd introduced £10 here I doubt people would squabble.
That seems fair.  We'll never know, but more transparency on the £15 would help (i.e. what is the cost to broadcast, how much do the clubs and league receive, what is left for broadcaster).

I have no idea how many would pay, but assume Chelsea got 100K for PPV, that is £1.5M to the broadcaster.  Seems a lot but probably doesn't go that far.  This close in I wonder how much flexibility they have to increase ad revenue also. 

 
That seems fair.  We'll never know, but more transparency on the £15 would help (i.e. what is the cost to broadcast, how much do the clubs and league receive, what is left for broadcaster).

I have no idea how many would pay, but assume Chelsea got 100K for PPV, that is £1.5M to the broadcaster.  Seems a lot but probably doesn't go that far.  This close in I wonder how much flexibility they have to increase ad revenue also. 
I read something last week along the lines of the club keeping all profits once production costs have been covered.

 
I used to pay 15p (3 bob actually) to get in the Shed. Now its £15 to watch it on the telly.

And you try telling the kids of today!

 
I used to pay 15p (3 bob actually) to get in the Shed. Now its £15 to watch it on the telly.

And you try telling the kids of today!
I remember when it was 80p to get in the shed then if i was with my dad we used to transfer to the benches in the west stand for maybe 50p each - i thought we were well off to be able to do that.

 
I remember when it was 80p to get in the shed then if i was with my dad we used to transfer to the benches in the west stand for maybe 50p each - i thought we were well off to be able to do that.
Luxury!

You were minted mate!

We used to get up 4 hours before we went to bed to queue on a freezing cold Sunday morning for tickets to see Chelsea play Orient in the FA cup 5th round. A week later we traveled to Brisbane Rd and queued to get in the ground on what must have been the coldest day ever only  to see Chelsea get stuffed 3-2. Oh the joys of 70's football.

 
Luxury!

You were minted mate!

We used to get up 4 hours before we went to bed to queue on a freezing cold Sunday morning for tickets to see Chelsea play Orient in the FA cup 5th round. A week later we traveled to Brisbane Rd and queued to get in the ground on what must have been the coldest day ever only  to see Chelsea get stuffed 3-2. Oh the joys of 70's football.



 
5 hours ago, PhilH930 said:

Never seen that - brilliant.

Great stories above.  My first Chelsea memories were of the west stand - the mountain of stairs to enter and the wooden seats (I swear they had seat backs when I went). Chelsea vs. Spurs Dec 1 1990, we won 3-2.  Game had it all - disallowed goal, Gazza freekick, missed Lineker penalty.  Still have the ticket somewhere, but think it was more than 50p!


I was a season ticket holder in the west stand from 71/72. The seats did have a very solid wooden back to them. I know this because my father used to run up the tops of them when making his way to the exit at the back. I would have been 10 years old at the time and had to learn quickly to keep up with him.

 
Posted on twitter by We Are The Shed. Posting the hashtag for stream links will only make it easier for them to be found and shut down mind...

78A3455D-44D5-4E78-B90D-85C984441240.png

 
Posted on twitter by We Are The Shed. Posting the hashtag for stream links will only make it easier for them to be found and shut down mind...

View attachment 14127
£15 is quite reasonable to watch a game that was not previously scheduled to be live on tv or part of an existing subscription package.  Yes £10 would be better, but its nice to have the option to watch.

If I was going to go after anything, I'd go after the excessive tax on petrol in the UK, or 7 day a week congestion charge, or paying to use a bathroom, or paying to park, or paying to park at a hospital.  A round of golf is £40-100 on a weekend at a reasonable course.   Doesn't it cost more to go to a movie?

Illegal streams does not seem the answer to me, but to each their own.

 
£15 is quite reasonable to watch a game that was not previously scheduled to be live on tv or part of an existing subscription package.  Yes £10 would be better, but its nice to have the option to watch.

If I was going to go after anything, I'd go after the excessive tax on petrol in the UK, or 7 day a week congestion charge, or paying to use a bathroom, or paying to park, or paying to park at a hospital.  A round of golf is £40-100 on a weekend at a reasonable course.   Doesn't it cost more to go to a movie?

Illegal streams does not seem the answer to me, but to each their own.
The maintenance fee for the building where I live has gone up €10 per month, could we please protest against that as well, now we're casting a very wide net :laugh2:  ?

 
Back
Top