PL, Man U. vs Chelsea, 11/01/09, 1600 GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

coco

Retired Moderator
Messages
26,043
Reaction score
16,686
2009 is the year of the Ox, and for the first Prem game of the new year, thats exactly how we will need to play on Jan 11th, like an Ox.

-----------------Cech---------------

Bosingwa--Ivanovic--Carvalho--A.Cole

-----------------Mikel---------------

-----------Ballack---Lampard---------

----J.Cole---------------Anelka-----

----------------Drogba-------------

Deco should be used as sub, we cant afford to have him in the starting line up for this game.

 
Team more or less picks itself although I'd have JT in for such a huge game instead of Ivanovic. He can expect a big cheer from the Utd fans every time he kicks the ball though!!

 
There's no way in hell Scolari would try something like this, but if we have to play both Drogba AND Anelka, then I'd like to see Anelka in a central role instead of on the left. Something like this perhaps:

-------------------------Cech---------------------------------

---Bosingwa------Alex-------Ivanovic-----A. Cole------

-------------------------Mikel--------------------------------

--------------Ballack------------Lampard-------------------

------------------------J. Cole--------------------------------

-------------------Drogba--Anelka------------------------

But then again, I don't think this a game that we will start with both Drogba and Anelka. Deco will probably start.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see us go out something like this,

-------------------------Cech---------------------------------

---Ferreira------Ricardo------Ivanovic-----A. Cole------

--------------Mikel-----------Lampard-------------------

Boswinga-------------------------------------------J Cole---

-------------------Drogba--Anelka------------------------

Subs

Carlo

Belletti

Ballack

Terry

Kalou

Deco

Bridge

I even contemplated Belletti for Mikel but think thats not the job for old trafford, might work well against park the Bus teams though

 
Would like to see

-------------------------Cech-----------------------

---Bosingwa------Carvalho-----JT---------Cole--

---Cole----------Mikel--------Lampard----Bridgey

--------------------Drogba---Anelka---------------

What we will see

------------------------Cech-----------------------

---Bosingwa-----Carvalho-----JT---------Cole---

------------------------Mikel------------------------

--------------Ballack---------Lampard------------

-------Cole-------------------------------Deco----

------------------Drogba or Anelka---------------

oops- just remembered JT is suspended so its most likely Alex in for him

 
Last edited by a moderator:
JT is back for the United game

 
I no longer care about what team is picked particularly. Its really just about delivering a performance at Old Trafford, against what is arguably been the world's best soccer team for the past few years, that us supporters can be proud of. At their best CFC can beat Manu at their best, however its arguable that ManU have strengthened their team more than us in the past 12 months. We shall see.

And by the way compliments of the New Year to all. I enjoy visiting this Board from Sydney and particularly its good to hear the opinions of people who are lucky enough to be able to go to the games.

If Terry is back the defence picks itself. Mikel will play, Lampard will play.

That leaves 4 starters to pick from Drogs, Nic, Joe, Ballack, Kalou, Deco and Malouda.

Despite all his disadvantages in front of goal Kalou is the youngest and fastest of the lot. I guess I'd go with the first four and have Deco replace JC at 55 minutes, with Kalou to replace one of the others after 75 minutes.

This is a game that everyone will be up for. Keys to success include stopping distribution from Scholes and Carrick in the centre and shutting down Rooney (will that be Mikel's job) in their front third.

I can't see us doing much damage to them in the air as Ferdinand and Vidic are very strong. However Evra will I believe still be suspended so there may some vulnerability on the wings. Also Sholes will not be strong defenesively.

 
Also Sholes will not be strong defenesively.
;)

Biggest understatement. Lets hope he does his usual and picks up an early yellow for yet another mis-timed tackle!

 
It'll be interesting to see where Red Nose plays Ronaldo. He could either play him on the right against Ashley who knows how to handle him, or play him on the left against the lightning quick Bosingwa. Hmm.

...............................Cech

...Bosingwa....Carvalho.......JT.........A.Cole

.......Ballack......,.......Mikel..........Lampard

...............................J Cole

.................Drogba.............Anelka

But the more likely one is Deco instead of Ballack, J Cole on the right, Anelka on the left and Drogba through the middle.

I've just realised something. How harsh is it on Ivanovic to just drop him for Carvalho? Carvalho is unlikely to be fully fit, so keep him on the bench and put JT and Ivanovic in the Centre back role.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see Boswinga on the wing in front of Ferreira, that way Ronaldo will have tracking back to do and Paulo will have help if he does play on their left.

I think Ash usually handles the Ronaldo threat well and Redsnout could push him downthe left with the added benefit of stopping Bos getting forward so much.

 
Ashley and Paulo have both kept Ronaldo in their pocket before however Ferreira is so short of match sharpness now that it would be a hell of a risk to throw him into a game as big as this.

 
Ashley and Paulo have both kept Ronaldo in their pocket before however Ferreira is so short of match sharpness now that it would be a hell of a risk to throw him into a game as big as this.
Your probobly right but my main concern is if Ron plays left Bos will concentrate on defending (hardly his best trait) and we will miss what he gives us going forward...

I wonder if with Ricky back and JT we could keep Ivanovich in the side and play him at RB?

All speculation as I doubt Phil has even thought about Bos-winga the right-Winga

 
I'd stick Belletti in for Bosingwa. Or play Bos at RW if we're going to use him.

With Belletti's experience and general awesomeness, he should be able to stop an off-form CRonaldo. And we all know how good Cashley is against him ::clap2::

 
I think Deco needs to play. We are playing an opposite with attacking ambitions so Deco's quick passes in counter attack positions are needed. He struggles against 'park the bus' sides. Also he missed the earlier game against ManU. This could also turn his season to a more brighter light.

------------------Cech-------------------

Boss----Carvo---------Terry----A.Cole

------------------Mikel-------------------

--------Deco-------------Lampard------

----Joey---------------------Anelka-----

---------------Drogba--------------------

This is a make or brake game for us so everyone needs to play their best game of the season. Nothing more nothing less.

 
I think it's the match Chelsea have to win.

I know people will say even a draw is considered a good result at OT and considering our current struggles even a point would be massive but I believe if we are to sustain any serious chance of winning the title back this is the time and place to turn things our way.

If we lose, Scolari is in a world of sh.t.

 
Your probobly right but my main concern is if Ron plays left Bos will concentrate on defending (hardly his best trait) and we will miss what he gives us going forward...I wonder if with Ricky back and JT we could keep Ivanovich in the side and play him at RB?

All speculation as I doubt Phil has even thought about Bos-winga the right-Winga
If playing Bos against Ron means that both are occupied with each other and cancel themselves out of the game then it would be a job well done, because they would miss what Ron could bring to the game more than we would miss what Bos would bring to the game

 
If playing Bos against Ron means that both are occupied with each other and cancel themselves out of the game then it would be a job well done, because they would miss what Ron could bring to the game more than we would miss what Bos would bring to the game
That would be fine in a world where Bos was as good a defender as he is an attacker, I think with Evra behind him Ronnie would cancel out Bos going forward a lot more than vice versa, which is why I would have liked to see him on the wing with a defensive RB behind him.

 
That would be fine in a world where Bos was as good a defender as he is an attacker, I think with Evra behind him Ronnie would cancel out Bos going forward a lot more than vice versa, which is why I would have liked to see him on the wing with a defensive RB behind him.
the point I was trying to make was...if Man U. lost Ronaldo through injury before kick off and like wise we lost Bosingwa.... which manager would be the more disappointed?

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top