Racist or ridiculous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkw

officer dibble of the shed end constabulary
Messages
40,383
Reaction score
23,310
Theres been a story in my local paper about a statue of a black barber outside a main street barbers. Apparently 2 people have complained to the council about it saying it might incite racial hatred. The owner is of west African and Lebanese origin, and said they have had numerous positive comments about it.

He said: “It is an authentic statue that I bought in an auction of barber shop memorabilia. I have had it here 18 months and no one has ever complained to me. We even had a competition to name him. Tourists love having their picture taken next to it."
The two people complaining had this to say:-

But Michael Baron, a resident of South Street, called the statue a “blackamoor effigy†in a letter to the town council, asking for its removal.He added: “While I have no doubt the owners intend it to be an advertisement for its excellent services, I sense I am not alone in finding it offensive to portray a person of colour in this servile position. Perhaps as well it offends some clause in racial discrimination legislation, but on any showing it does the town no credit to permit the public display of a racial stereotype.

“If the barber shop want it inside, I don’t think that breaks any laws, but outside in a part of the town on which millions have been lavished in its restoration, a blatantly racist image is not what visitors should be exposed to.â€

Joan Ellis, of Cockermouth, said: “Market Place is now so attractive and, for the most part, has been the hub of the community and an oasis while the Main Street has been closed. Cockermouth residents should be very proud of the restoration.

“The main issue is that this is a stereotype image and a caricature of a black slave with exaggerated features. It is demeaning in its exaggeration. This sort of image doesn't belong anywhere, let alone in a progressive town like Cockermouth. It would be particularly offensive to a resident or visitor of African or Caribbean decent and it is offensive and embarrassing to me.â€
This is the statue:-

1112252054.jpg


Now the area I live doesnt really have many people of other races living round here and its difficult to have an opinion of it. So i was wondering what others think of this.

 
He certainly stands out in a homogeneous society. The depiction is very subservient, and looks more like a waiter than a barber.

We have, in rural areas, a lot of lawn jockeys. Same idea, but smaller - kind of a stable boy statuette carrying a ring for the horses. The idea is that your house in the sticks appears to have servants, or slaves. They are very offensive to guys I know (of color) who install cable systems and have to walk by them in front yards.

What do you think of our local Major League Baseball team logo, The Cleveland Indians' Chief Wahoo, then and now?

104kaxj.jpg


 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mmm he's basically a golliwog, isn't he, dickywuh? When I was young, our local cobbler had a golliwog on his counter. If you put a penny (an old one - they were BIG!) in the palm of his hand and twisted his ear, the hand took the penny to his mouth and he swalllowed it. Kids loved it and there was no INTENTION of racism, but at the same time I think black people had a right to be offended.

On the other hand a statue of a kiltie with his bum showing - now that's OK!

 
The first thing that struck me is that the people that are complaining are the racists more than anyone else, complaining about the statue. Hypocrites.

 
The first thing that struck me is that the people that are complaining are the racists more than anyone else, complaining about the statue. Hypocrites.
Thats pretty much my thought, them being disgusted on others behalf because they know better is ironically slightly racist in my mind.

 
Seriously, if you live in Cockermouth, should you really complain about a statue? :(

Anyway, I can see what they mean, but I would not call it racist.

It seems like Michael Baron is refering to slavery and I think that is going a bit too far. All I see is a statue of a black man who either is a barber or else works at a barbershop.

 
Just to add a bit of perspective, up the road is a butchers with a statue of a jolly fat man in butchers clothes, all ruddy cheeked etc. Is that racist? does it offend overweight red faced white people?

 
Accusations of racism are thrown around far too easily these days and I think you need to differentiate between something being potentially racist and something being potentially offensive.

For me, to drift into the realm of racism there often needs to be genuine intent to me offensive toward a particularly race. (Although I do accept that is a little simplistic as it ignores the concept of institutional racism). So in this case there is a possibility that the owner is being insensitive or potentially offensive but that doesn't mean he necessarily merits accusations of being a racist.

I do think you need to bear in mind that these sort of statues (and the lawn jockey ones) were a product of a time when this kind of racial caricaturing and steretyping was widely tolerated and also considered amusing. SOme people used them almost as symbols to remind them of a time when they thought their country had things 'right'

With that in mind it is easy to see why some people would consider them a racist symbol and question why one is on a high street. I must admit if I owned a shop I wouldn't have a statue like that outside my door.

 
How can it be racist when the owner himself is of African origin? Get a grip white people of Cockermouth

 
How can it be racist when the owner himself is of African origin? Get a grip white people of Cockermouth
This is my thoughts aswell.

I have asian roots myself, but hate when people use the racism card to easily. It ruins it for everyone else.. In this case I would've understood the racist claims if the owner was white and there were colored people being offended. To me it seems like the owner really likes his statue, but don't understand what it can symbolize to some people.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Mr. Michael Barton.

I appreciate your concerns. But if you really want to make a difference against racial abuse, please send your letter to Mr. Blatter and Mr. Platini of the FIFA and UEFA. Demand they punish racial abuse in Italy and Spain, aswell as some eastern european contries with more than a slap on the wrist and a rediculous fine. The way racial abuse is dealt with by these organizations is a utter disgrace.

Regards MHL_blue

 
There are two quite separate questions here.

1) Is the image of presented by the statue racist?

2) Is putting it on display a racist act?

My answers:

1) There can be no doubt that the image is very much of the period of colonial and southern racism, a time when blacks were presented as servile, infantile, and innately deserving of their lowly social status. It is the visual equivalent of the word 'Negro' if not 'ni**er'.

2) This is more complicated, given that the period in which such images were produced has passed and so the image now is more kitsch and doesn't have the same impact on people's views and, and if the owner is black, it may be a case akin to black people taking on the words 'Negro' and 'ni**er' (though not identical, as the 'voice' articulating the image is not black like it is in gangster rap).

I would say that is not a case of intended racism, but that the residues of racism are clearly there. I personally don't think it does anyone any good making racist images kitsch, and reviving their currency. It's not one for legal reprimand, but it is in bad taste.

 
I'd be curious to know the race of the people complaining.

I've found in most cases like this, the people complaining are not part of the demographic that is being "insulted/ridiculed".

 
Are you saying only Jews have a right to be offended by anti-semitism?

 
I'm not talking about this statue now.

I am saying in general that if anti-semitism is expressed orally or in written form, is it only Jews who have a right to be offended.

You seemed to be saying that only that part of the demographic which was targetted by the insults had a right to be offended.

Do I as a non-Jew not have a right to protest against anti-semitic publications?

Do I as a white not have a right to protest against racial insults to blacks?

Do I as a heterosexual not have a right to protest against homophobic insults to gays?

 
Well if the Jews arent offended by it, what right does a non-Jew have to claim that it is offencive to Jews?
Every right. Taking your argument to its logical extremes, only people of Jewish descent have the right to be offended at the treatment of Jews in Nazi Germany. I don't for one minute think this is what you actually believe, just that you need to think a little more carefully about your argument.

I do however, agree that there are far too many busybodies, often low-ranking council officials and the like, who quite unnecessarily choose to take offence on behalf of various minorities. Such stories surface on a regular basis around Christmas time. Some fool will claim that a certain Christmas or Christian related symbol should be removed as it might give offence to Moslems or other non-Christians, when in fact the vast majority of Moslems and other non-Christians are quite happy for Christmas to be celebrated by the indiginous population, for want of a better phrase.

 
I think what Barry is saying is that if gay folks are not insulted, then it's not homophobic, as an example.

The problem is you can never reach that first conclusion, it's not factual. It would require a lot of canvassing, and then still not be a fact. And away goes the foundation for the second conclusion.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top