Random Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

moi

Welcome back, twin! XXX
Messages
32,538
Reaction score
5,744
Sometimes there are things you might want to say that don;t seem to belong anywhere in specific. So here's a place for them:

All this talk of Ancelotti’s fluency or lack of fluency in English, has set me musing about the sometimes mind-boggling arrogance of the English in their assumption that everyone will speak their language. Here on the site we have so many foreigners whose English is excellent (Val, Virosh, Moos – even Ruh Buh Juh – no, sorry RBJ, I know the Welsh are bi-lingual!).

Where I live there are lots of English, who have settled here, yet who make absolutely no attempt to speak French. One couple I know have lived here for 20 years and can barely say “please†and “thank you†in French. The woman complained bitterly to me because in the little local police station there wasn’t a SINGLE policeman who could speak English. WOW! Because in Birmingham where she originates from, ALL the coppers speak French, do they?

With the fall of the pound, I have had to start giving lessons in both French and English in order to buy a few luxuries (like single malt whisky, which is still cheaper here than in Scotland) and the difference between the French and the English is phenomenal. The French move forward in leaps and bounds – whatever we do one week, they practise, they assimilate, they come the next week ready to move on. The English progress at snail’s pace, often not doing anything on their own from one week to the next, but somehow expecting that Moi will wave her magic wand and Hey Presto they will be fluorescent in French.

So, give Carlo a chance. I bet he is already reasonable fluent, and I bet he makes great strides forwards. If Roman is reading this, for a small fee I am available to coach Carlo….

But not until the summer is over, because at the moment with wall to wall sunshine I am down the beach swimming, and my lessons are timed around the high tides!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Moi, but I feel I must disagree with you most strongly...

...single malt whisky is a necessity, not a luxury :PiANo:

 
Sorry Moi, but I feel I must disagree with you most strongly......single malt whisky is a necessity, not a luxury :PiANo:
I stand corrected, Bluebeard! Which is why reluctantly I returned to work! There are things I can cheerfully do without. but not that!

 
Think this is a bit of a genralisation. I know myself and many other English people who are very embarassed by our lack of a second language.

I blame two things.

1. the English school system.. where it is compulsary to learn Frnch, then you get a choice of German or something else.

2. The USA in particular their business environment (whether you lile it or not English is the international business language) and thier film industry. (and in a small part the beeb)

There is a great audio series by Bill Bryson on the English language.. itself a curious mixture of Latin, Nordic, germanic etc...could say we have had it forced upon us by our European neigbours !

 
I agree with you that we, as a country, are arrogant to expect everyone else to speak English, but I think it is Ancelotti's duty, considering how much he is being paid, and the fact that he is working in England, to learn English. It would be a bit arrogant and selfish on his behalf if he bowled in, not speaking a word of English, and expected everyone to put up with Butch's best attempts at interpreting.

 
English is a Germanic language that evolved from Scandanavian and Norman influence. The Latin influence is minimal, in fact the only influence of Latin is in the vocabulary because Latin was the lingua franca of writing and of the upper classes, and were the only language traditions passed on so we borrowed Latin words.

The fact that English tends to be so universal reflects a subconscious social ordering of languages, with English at the top.

 
1. the English school system.. where it is compulsary to learn Frnch, then you get a choice of German or something else.
At my school (this was back between 1968 and 1972), French was compulsory, but the teacher was such a git that nobody was interested. Besides, I had no interest in learning French at all (no surprises there, eh?), yet I'd have liked to have learnt German, Spanish or Italian.

Sadly, none of these languages were taught in my Saarff London Comprehensive, indeed, English was only slightly touched upon. I can remember one of our English lessons circa 1969 consisted of a very sexy young pottery(?) teacher, sitting on the edge of her desk in a very short mini-skirt with a guitar, singing Irish rebel songs. Can't remember the songs, but I can still picture that teacher very clearly - I'm off for a quick cold shower now...

 
See, I had what is known as a "Proper Education". Consequently, I have TWO separate French 'O' Levels and a good grasp of Latin. I can also converse in Spanish and Italian (but only at the linguistic level of a small child, probably!)

And I know where to put my commas, and that starting a sentence with the word "And" is incorrect if you are at all traditional

Kev

PS I also know that my typing is nowhere near as good as my speeling, so have to edit my posts shed-loads of times

 
Last edited by a moderator:
The English teacher I had for 4 years out of 6 years of grammar school, scared the sh*t out of me. My English is consequently pretty good. None of my French teachers, however, scared me nearly as much, so my French has become rather rusty. My German gets mangled once a year on the Austrian skiing slopes, but is still adequate. I tried to learn Russian for 2 years, but that never really amounted to something.

I still speak Dutch fluently though.

 
The English teacher I had for 4 years out of 6 years of grammar school, scared the sh*t out of me. My English is consequently pretty good. None of my French teachers, however, scared me nearly as much, so my French has become rather rusty. My German gets mangled once a year on the Austrian skiing slopes, but is still adequate. I tried to learn Russian for 2 years, but that never really amounted to something. I still speak Dutch fluently though.
So I have to up the scariness factor for my English students, do I?

Actually, all you native English speakers - spoken English is VERY difficult to learn because the pronunciation of the vowel sounds are so inconsistent, whereas in European languages, if they want you to pronounce the vowel differently, they will put an accent on it so that you know. So, those of you who have been fortunate enough to meet Val in the flesh (Calm down, YB!) - is her spoken English as good as her written English?

P.S. Val - your Russian never amounted to ANYTHING.

It's like the German joke, where the interrogator says "You English think we know damn nothing, but I tell you we know damn all!"

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, all you native English speakers - spoken English is VERY difficult to learn because the pronunciation of the vowel sounds are so inconsistent, whereas in European languages, if they want you to pronounce the vowel differently, they will put an accent on it so that you know. So, those of you who have been fortunate enough to meet Val in the flesh (Calm down, YB!) - is her spoken English as good as her written English?
You cant tell, she's always too pissed :D

 
What Andy Said! either pissed or distracted by her eternal tit-hunt

 
P.S. Val - your Russian never amounted to ANYTHING.
I stand corrected, miss, but boy, you make it sound as if I was really crap at Russian :D

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I never had any problem seeing them! But then I was always sober!

 
Sober, ah yes. That explains why in another thread you claim I have more than 2 tits :D

 
Like many men, YB takes his dreams for reality - this is a translation of the French: Il prend ses rêves pour la réalité!

Possibly YB would like a woman to be equipped with the same number of teats as a sow!

 
Where I live there are lots of English, who have settled here, yet who make absolutely no attempt to speak French. One couple I know have lived here for 20 years and can barely say “please†and “thank you†in French. The woman complained bitterly to me because in the little local police station there wasn’t a SINGLE policeman who could speak English. WOW! Because in Birmingham where she originates from, ALL the coppers speak French, do they?
As a Brummie she must be used to no one understanding a word she says

Having said that, the French love to forget that if it wasn't for the English they would all be talking German

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top