Should we have taken a punt on Eidur?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Brit

Legend
Messages
12,712
Reaction score
2,611
the nauseating sight of seeing him score for that sickening lot and then doing a nice step over for the second at the weekend, made me think whether we should have taken a punt on the gambler/pi**head after all back in jan, especially as we have no creativity up front at the moment, nothing different etc...plus he was only a loan so wouldn't have cost us much...just feel we're paying a price for not strengthening in January

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think we should have let him go in the first place but that's a topic for another day.

 
I would have preferred him not to go in the first place as well. But if we could of got a loan deal I wouldnt have minded it but then again I can imagine people saying why are we bringing in older players when we have young players such as Sturridge (but granted Sturridge and Eidur are completely different players but you get my point)

 
A loan deal would have been a possibility imo ... We could have tried to play him instead of Ballack and then we would have had the old midfield of Eidur, Lampard and Maka (now replaced by Mikel of course)

 
I don't think we should have let him go in the first place but that's a topic for another day.
I'm with you on this one, he showed on Saturday he can still cut it at the top level.

Eidur Gudjohnsen - my all-time favourite player, regardless of who he's played for.

 
no. ive always said a player or manager should never go back as it hardly ever goes well. just leave us with the memories of him before he left.

 
no, but we probably should have kept him a little longer.

 
i always loved Eidur. he was Jose's smart guy. i had his name on my shirt after Gallas left. in fact, i even learned to pronounce his name properly, its "artur guthyonesonn" i was bitter about him leaving but it was to Barca and we all saw what happned to Jimmy when he thought he might get to go there and then didnt. best off they go. at least hes playing which i can only be happy for him - yeah its not us but im preparing myself for a much bigger blow when/if JM goes to hated Pool....

 
Last edited by a moderator:
should have kept him. One of my favourite players of recent times, was sad to see him leave, and now dismayed to see him at Spuds!

 
Never wanted him to go, but with Barca calling, it's understandable. Our style of playing now would suit him a lot more than the Jose days, he can do a job behind the strikers or in place of Ballack in midfield. A loan deal would be a win win situation for all. Anyway, hopefully he doesn't score the winning goal against us when we play Spurs.

 
I don't think we should have let him go in the first place but that's a topic for another day.
To be honest I agree with this 100%. I was watching some of the old footage from the glory days of 2004-05 to cheer me up after last weeks debacle, and he was simply unbelievable that season, dropping deep and putting away Robben and Duff or playing high and scoring them himself. He's one of my favourite players from the last ten years and it was terrible when he came on for Barca last season, it'll be even worse if he comes on for Tottenham.

One thing I always liked about him was his work rate. Where as Jimmy wouldn't work in an Iron Lung, he was unbelievable and got better under Jose as well. Almost the biggest mistake Jose made I think, letting him go.

That said it's probably a step in the wrong direction. But then again I think If I had have heard he was going to Spurs I would have got him on loan just to stop him playing for them.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just shows you how bad the squad is doesn't it? We're debating whether or not we should have taken a player Barcelona discarded because he was useless to them, one of the teams we're supposed to compete with for the European Cup.

I wouldn't even mind our club just not being good enough because we have no right to win things, what confuse me however is the demand placed on a squad that is clearly not strong enough. Ancelotti is being asked to make an omelette with eggs that expired three years ago!

 
Just shows you how bad the squad is doesn't it? We're debating whether or not we should have taken a player Barcelona discarded because he was useless to them, one of the teams we're supposed to compete with for the European Cup.I wouldn't even mind our club just not being good enough because we have no right to win things, what confuse me however is the demand placed on a squad that is clearly not strong enough. Ancelotti is being asked to make an omelette with eggs that expired three years ago!
I take your point to some degree Epic, but Barca have Ibra and Messi, with Henry, and Pedro as backup (if you could call them that). We have Kalou (Danny seems only to get a run in the 90th minute when we're already f**ked.) I personally would think for the last six months of the season a guy who is a proven scorer in our league, has a great workrate and loves the club wouldn't be the worst option ever. Perhaps a little like when Larsson went on loan to United a few season back.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top