So, just got off the phone with Bobby Tambling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gem

Legend
Messages
18,526
Reaction score
1,576
... As you do on a regular Sunday night I suppose.

ARGH! I JUST HAD A 10 MINUTE CONVERSATION WITH BOBBY TAMBLING!!!!! (and 1 min with his lovely wife)

He called to thank me for the card. He said it was the greatest piece of fan memorabilia he had ever received and it now sits proudly in him home. Nurses, doctors, visitors etc all saw this card and it became a legendary piece in the hospital!!! He (and Val, obviously) found it such an uplifting thing and when he received it - he wasn't in a good place, but to see how much effort had gone into it and how much the fans still think about him - it made him feel so overwhelmed and he genuinely said it helped his recovery.

He wanted me to pass on A GREAT BIG THANK YOU to The Shed End for their messages and how much he appreciated reading all the kind words at a very hard time for him and his family.

He sounded chipper, he was full of good humour and was just a genuinely lovely bloke. He's also invited me for drinks as he wants to meet me, before the Stoke game in March when he says he'll hopefully be down next.

Okay, did any of that make sense?! Probably not, I'm a tad overwhelmed!! I told my dad and he got teary!!

Any more details just ask but at the moment I'm on cloud 9!!!!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant. Bobby comes from a day when we hailed our heroes and they were just as happy to mix with us. Good to hear he's on the mend.

 
Gem!! What a wonderful title for a thread! And how lovely that he wanted to thank you personally. A true gent!

Drinky poos before the Stoke game, eh? Watch your language, young lady! :wink:

 
Top Job Gem, Its must have been so nice for his family to see him being held in such high regard even now and to see him cheered up by the knowledge, thats got to be one of the best things to come out of the forum so far.

Nice one.

 
That's really nice. I hope you enjoy your day out with Bobby.

(When I first saw the thread title it registered for a split second that you'd been on the phone to former gaffer and friend to the owner Bobby Campbell)

 
A very special moment in your life Gem - cherish it always.

I'm really glad you took up the mantle for doing this because there's no way I would have done anything nearly as good as you. And the call serves as further proof of what a great man Bobby Tambling is. Great to hear that he is better

 
Thankyou so much for sharing, and thankyou so much for passing on the good news about Bobby. I'm finding it difficult to explain exactly how I feel here, but you really have made my day.

 
Fabulous news Gem. That he took the time to call despite being unwell (let alone invite you on a date!!) speaks volumes about the character of the man and it is heart warming to know that the time, effort you put in has been so well received. Have a great time and, once again, wish him the very best from all on the forum.

 
A perfect and much deserved reward for your thoughtful effort Gem. That's a memory you'll have your whole life. Bless you and Bobby.

 
Thank you one and all, now I've had time to calm down a bit, I'll post a bit more.

He said that he & his wife are just "regular" people and to have all those messages with some saying he is the reason they support Chelsea made him very emotional. He had no idea he was so well thought of (seriously) by the fans and that he'll cherish the messages forever. He said he just played football because he loved it and never considered he would have such an impact on people.

I can't remember the drivel I must have spoke, but he really wanted me to pass on his complete & utter gratitude to everyone on here. I know I'm repeating myself but he said he received the card at a hard time and he honestly believes it helped in his recovery. I'm not trying to sound like a healer - I just want to convey that everyone's message meant so much to him and to have that level of genuine well wishers was overwhelming.

I think as a CFC community - we are the Drogs Ballacks.

 
Excellent well done Gem , Bobby's a true gent and his wife Val a lady , l had the privilege of meeting both at the Bridge 2 years ago which was a great honor they were truly a lovely couple .

 
Fantastic news, Gem! Have to admit i'm slightly envious of your impending date with him too. Great that you go to share this with your dad too!

 
The lucky thing is I was at the dinner table and for once I brought my phone with me. I had no idea who it was when the number came up so it was a very stern 'hello' and when a sweet lady said 'may I speak to Gemma please?' I said 'speaking.' in such a harsh tone... then she said 'this is Val Tambling...' and I jumped off my seat and ran to my room being softly spoken, giddy, nervous and ever so sweet. Don't think I've gushed as much in my life.

Don't worry - the yorkshires had been eaten by that time.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top