Socrates. The most elegant player in history?

Passed away in 2011..

Former Brazil captain Socrates has died at the age of 57.

He had been in a critical condition with an intestinal infection since being admitted to intensive care on Friday at a hospital in Sao Paulo.

Socrates, who was widely regarded as one of the greatest ever midfielders, was moved onto a life support machine on Saturday.

 
He was amazing! I was too young to fully grok his game, but could tell he was a big player.

That 82 team is 100% imbalanced and that was exploited by Italy--plus a weak goalie.

 
Fun fact: Sócrates was actually a medical doctor. He used to say it was tough living in the football world as an educated man — apparently he couldn’t stand the usual locker room talk. He went further and said, he did not love to play football.

It may seem elitist, but I can only imagine how it was back then.

For example, the literacy in Brazil was around 75% in the 80s (lower in the 70s) -- it's about 95% today, which is still considered low.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
That bottom image I think is when Italy knocked Brazil out of the World Cup.?

That Brazilian team were a joy to watch , I was gutted when they went out .
Yeah, you’re right, the bottom image is of the Italy game, when they won 3-2 and knocked Brazil out of the 1982 World Cup.

 
Back
Top