Songs About London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gem

Legend
Messages
18,526
Reaction score
1,576
I thought I'd turn to the Shed Enders for a little help regarding musical matters - I'm making a CD with songs purely about London on it, and I'm stuck. I've done a search and there are hundreds. I only want about 18/20, so I was wondering if you guys know any songs that you like that I could include. So far I've got:

1. Streets of London

2. Waterloo Sunset

3. London Calling

:rolleyes: Which isn't a lot.

(PS- not including Baker Street as that reminds me of The Simpsons too much and not London!)

Thank you :D

 
carnaby street, the jam

london traffic, the jam

a bomb in wardour street, the jam

piccadilly circus, stiff little fingers

 
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner? Or is it just pop songs you want?

 
West End Girls - the Pet Shop Boys

London - the Smiths

and .. Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry - I keep remembering more

Older ones: A Foggy Day in London Town

A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square

 
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner? Or is it just pop songs you want?
I name songs by The Kinks and The Clash and you think I want pop songs? :rolleyes:

I hate pop..... but any suggestions welcomed.

 
The Kinks and The Clash are not pop? Blimey!

 
Gem - I'm OLD - to me pop means anything that isn't classical or traditional! I was young when the Kinks started and we definitely considered them to be pop in those days. But I take your point and will keep adding to the list as and when songs "pop" into my head!

 
The Clash - London Calling, Guns of Brixton

Ralph McTell - Streets of London

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

The Jam - A Bomb in Wardour Street, Carnaby Street, Down in the Tube Station at Midnight, Eton Rifles, London Traffic

Simple Minds - Chelsea Girl

The Smiths - London, Half a Person

Morrissey - Picadilly Palare, Come Back to Camden, Hairdresser on Fire

The Men They COuldn't Hang -The Ghosts of Cable Street

The Stranglers - Dagenham Dave, Llondon lady

Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees

The Pogues - Dark Streets of London, Lullaby of London, The Old Main Drag, A Rainy Night in Soho

The Kinks - Holloway Jail

Small Faces - Itchycoo Park

Elvis Costello - I Don't Want to Go to Chelsea (yes you read right)

David Bowie - Lady Grinning Soul, The London Boys, London Bye Ta Ta

Donovan - London Town, Sunny South Kensington

Carter USM - The Only Living Boy in New Cross

 
Sorry if someone has mentioned these, but here's some from the top of my head:

Madness:

Primrose Hill

NW5

Suggs:

Camden Town

The Clash:

London's Burning

(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais

Guns of Brixton

The Kinks:

Denmark Street

 
Plaistow Patricia

Billericay Dickie - both by Ian Dury and the Blockheads

Mod? Does Billericay count as London?

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top