Soul Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh thank you all!
icon_cool.gif


 
Loz, is taht Ottis reading from the Monterey Pop festival? I thik it was him that came on as all the Hippies were leaving after jefferson Airplane finished. He came one at tempo and a hafl and had all the hippies shaking in ecstacy

Scott

 
Also, I saw James Brown live in teh Glasgow Carlin academy. The place was, from front to abck, one hopping, dancing sweaty mess. He was a great front man, and his backing band were awesome

Scott

 
That is Otis at Monterey Scott
Cheers Loz, it is such a great moment at that pestival as it was all really Hippie music, then the Who and Hendrix. Then Otis really looked out of place on the bill. But man he came out and blew them all away

 
Well I wouldn't say he blew all of them away - Hendrix was stunning as well, I would say they as a pair blew the rest of them away.

 
Apparently according to Keith Richards the Stones version of Satisfaction was only a dubb and Alan Oldham released it without their say-so. Richards commented along the lines, "in my head when we wrote the finished article should have sounded like the Otis version". Can't say it's my favorite Otis track, that's "I can't turn you loose", but I do love those horns.

 
I'm sure I read somewhere that Otis couldn't remember the words to Satisfaction, so improvised as he went along. Can't Turn You Loose is a great song, and there've been a few good versions down the years.

Difficult to pick a best or favourite Otis song, but Try A Little Tenderness has to be up there with the best, if not the best of them - it's one of those songs that's got everything, and nobody will ever come near equalling Otis's version.

 
Growing up as a teenager otis was far and away my favourite soul singer, it was a little later that the likes of Levi Stubbs and Marvin Gaye caught up with him in terms of my liking of them.

Picking a favourite Otis track is like selecting your favourite beer, it depends on the weather, the company, the mood, and just how long it is since you had one!

So I need to split it up a little to make it easier.

If I had to pick a favourite lower tempo, 'sad' Otis track then it would be 'These Arms of Mine'

As for the 'up and at em' Otis I would either go for his 'Satisfaction' cover or 'Respect'

and for pure making you smile I would go for his duet with Carla Thomas when they did 'Tramp'

 
I'm sure I read somewhere that Otis couldn't remember the words to Satisfaction, so improvised as he went along. Can't Turn You Loose is a great song, and there've been a few good versions down the years. .
Not only did he not know/remember all the words it is also reported that he had never heard the original version so had no idea how it was 'supposed' to sound.

 
I'm sure I read somewhere that Otis couldn't remember the words to Satisfaction, so improvised as he went along. Can't Turn You Loose is a great song, and there've been a few good versions down the years. .
Not only did he not know/remember all the words it is also reported that he had never heard the original version so had no idea how it was 'supposed' to sound.
You're right, and I should have remembered because it's in the booklet that came with my vinyl box set, which I've been looking through trying to pick out a few best/favourite songs. An impossible task but I've come up with a list of 10 (that could quite easily have turned into a list of 20 or 30) in no particular order:

Try a Little Tenderness

You Don't Miss Your Water

Can't Turn You Loose

Rock Me Baby

Knock On Wood

Mr Pitiful

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)

Respect

My Girl

and last but not least:

Dock of The Bay - has to go in the list because it was so different from his previous output, and as has been commented on so many occasions provides a tantalising glimpse into the direction Otis's music might have taken.

 
had no idea how it was 'supposed' to sound.
Much like Richards but for completely different reasons.... pass the needle

 
Speaking of Motown, Kevin Rowland (Dexy's) is just about to release an album of Motown covers. The tracking list:

1. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) - Temptations (1)

2. My Girl - Temptations (1)

3. Walk Away Renee - Four Tops

4. You Can't Hurry Love - Supremes (1)

5. Abraham Martin And John - Gaye, Marvin

6. Signed Sealed Delivered (I'm Yours) - Wonder, Stevie

7. Look Of Love - Knight, Gladys & The Pips

8. Let's Get It On - Gaye, Marvin

9. I'll Say Forever My Love - Ruffin, Jimmy

10. It's All In The Game - Four Tops

11. I Was Made To Love Her - Wonder, Stevie

12. I'll Be There - Jackson Five

13. I Guess I'll Always Love You - Isley Brothers

14. What Does It Take (To Win Your Love) - Walker, Junior & The All Stars

15. Heaven Must Have Sent You - Elgins

16. Just A Little Understanding - Contours

17. Bad Weather - Supremes (1)

18. If I Should Die Tonight - Gaye, Marvin

19. Someday We'll Be Together - Ross, Diana & The Supremes

20. Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever - Four Tops

 
God, that Otis vid has just left me breathless.And Ladies and Gents, give it up for two of the greatest men to ever grace a soul stage...

btjones_pic2.jpg


I give you Donald 'Duck' Dunn and Steve ' The Colonel' Cropper.

As wel as being my all time guitar hero, Steve Cropper co-wrote 'Knock on Wood', Midnight Hour' and 'Dock of the Bay' - perhaps the 3 most definitive songs of the 60's soul boom.

..And he was in the Blues Brothers (together with Mr Dunn).

Happy Fridays
OK - Still thinking - but what most people said up there!

Booker T and the MGs played at the last Bishopstock Blues Festival. I was wandering round the record and CD stalls between bands in the afternoon, turned to my left and THERE WERE CROPPER AND DUNN!!!!!!!!!!!!! RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!!!!!!!!!! LOOKING AT CDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I played it Very Very cool. Just gabbled and gabbled about how they were marvellous and wonderful and musical heroes of mine and they made the sound that sort of defined my youth and also the film that changed my view og the Musical and then I asked for a handshake. They are a pair of gentlemen too and both shook my hand!!!!!!!!!

Wooohooo!

Now I have to go lie down for a while

Kev

 
God, that Otis vid has just left me breathless.And Ladies and Gents, give it up for two of the greatest men to ever grace a soul stage...

btjones_pic2.jpg


I give you Donald 'Duck' Dunn and Steve ' The Colonel' Cropper.

As wel as being my all time guitar hero, Steve Cropper co-wrote 'Knock on Wood', Midnight Hour' and 'Dock of the Bay' - perhaps the 3 most definitive songs of the 60's soul boom.

..And he was in the Blues Brothers (together with Mr Dunn).

Happy Fridays
OK - Still thinking - but what most people said up there!

Booker T and the MGs played at the last Bishopstock Blues Festival. I was wandering round the record and CD stalls between bands in the afternoon, turned to my left and THERE WERE CROPPER AND DUNN!!!!!!!!!!!!! RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!!!!!!!!!! LOOKING AT CDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I played it Very Very cool. Just gabbled and gabbled about how they were marvellous and wonderful and musical heroes of mine and they made the sound that sort of defined my youth and also the film that changed my view og the Musical and then I asked for a handshake. They are a pair of gentlemen too and both shook my hand!!!!!!!!!

Wooohooo!

Now I have to go lie down for a while

Kev
Kev mate - you're a god!

Of course what you don't tell us is what CDs they were looking to buy. You could ruin the whole story but letting slip that they were holding Elton John's greatest hits and 'Rio' by Duran Duran...

 
This whole thread is making me feel oh so much better! Keep it up please!

 
I'd like to play but I don't know how to post the videos direct to the thread page.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADXrzgyoG7Ahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADXrzgyoG7A

Only sorry it's not the extended version with the sax solo.
From "Curtis?" I played that album again the other day, funnily enough. I'll have to do a list of some of the stuff I've been listening to lately, nearly all soul (a fair amount of Chicago stuff, including Curtis), but I'm not sure yet whether to add it to this thread or create another "This is what I've been listening to, how about you?" kind of thread.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top