Streaming hd to tv via usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkw

officer dibble of the shed end constabulary
Messages
40,390
Reaction score
23,322
I have just got a new Samsung 3D HD smart tv and have connected my external HDD to it via usb. I have tried to watch a HD movie from it but the quality wasnt that great. Does anyone know if HD can be streamed over usb or is it low quality etc.

 
Query along similar lines,

Bought a tower and a HD TV and connect from the tower to the TV via HDMI cable - streaming is fine in terms of quality but as hard as I try I can't get the screen resolution right so that websites don't look a little odd to the eye. Any tips?

 
What resolution is the pc`s setting when connected to tv? It should detect it to be 1920x1080 for HD, can you swap between 1080i and 1080p?

 
Will check when back home next weekend.

 
I have just got a new Samsung 3D HD smart tv and have connected my external HDD to it via usb. I have tried to watch a HD movie from it but the quality wasnt that great. Does anyone know if HD can be streamed over usb or is it low quality etc.
I've never tried it directly because something needs to process the movie format. I'm not sure how good/bad those new Smart TVs are at processing different movie formats. I have a nettop sitting next to my TV and I use XBMC to do the processing of the movie. Since XBMC processes, I just stream the raw data from my home server to my nettop (or directly from any movie/show stored on the nettop). The output is via HDMI to the TV. This can be done with any laptop that has an HDMI out put as well. Not sure what you have available at your disposal, if anything.

Speed wise though you should be fine. Your external HD is most like USB 2.0 so the read/write speeds should be good enough but it's still also a slight possibility of an issue since the maximum and actuals are way different.

 
Ive been toying with getting a nettop, tiny little things. I have one of these little media players that play anything from sticks and sd cards etc so that does the decoding etc.

 
Ive been toying with getting a nettop, tiny little things. I have one of these little media players that play anything from sticks and sd cards etc so that does the decoding etc.
Will you stop spending Emily's inheritance!

 
The beauty of the nettop is that we have a camera hooked up to the TV and we just Skype, etc. right from that instead of fiddling around in the office trying to huddle everyone around my gaming rig.

Plus streaming is just win on that thing. Really happy with it.

Did you get it working then?

 
The beauty of the nettop is that we have a camera hooked up to the TV and we just Skype, etc. right from that instead of fiddling around in the office trying to huddle everyone around my gaming rig.

Plus streaming is just win on that thing. Really happy with it.

Did you get it working then?
Yeah, I connected my HDD through USB and played a few HD movies and the info bar had it playing as 1080i so it seems it streams as HD. Happy days. Got a mate at work who has a load of films he "found" on the net so will fill up from him.

 
What resolution is the pc`s setting when connected to tv? It should detect it to be 1920x1080 for HD, can you swap between 1080i and 1080p?
Set it to that - still looks odd - recommended a much lower one (something like 1280 x 720) but the text was enormous then.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top