The Beer Thread

update on my Funky Cider. So last week I added 2oz of Cascade Hops to 2.5 Gallons of my Funky Cider. Today I will bottle it, but one thing I have noticed is the fact that the cider hasn't really cleared. I am thinking it will take about 3 months of bottle conditioning before I can get the full benefits of this Funky Cider. So this Summer when the Temperatures start to climb here in Sac-Town, I will have a lightweight cider to imbibe to help cool me off.

 
Was in my local last night and there were three Wantsum beers on tap. Each of them had a name with a WW2: Hurricane, Overlord and Fortitude. Had pints of Hurricane and Overlord. Excellent beers.

 
Did you lack the fortitude to try the third?  :rolleyes:
Only had two pints on Friday which is unusual for me. However, I managed to go to the pub last night and had a pint of Fortitude. A fine pint. Going into London this evening so will probably pop into one of my favourite pubs, The Harp near Trafalgar Square.

 
...and then you’re on to Cesc’s Magic Hat, right?
my next brew will be a pils - I will dedicate it to Marko Marin - Sie Deutsche Messi :Troll_Face:

premier-league-chelsea-marko-marin_3281678.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Was in Canterbury on Tuesday to listen to a history lecture. Whilst in Canterbury I went in to the Thomas Tallis Ale House (takes is name from the 16th English composer). A wonderful pub with a great selection of ales and ciders. Highly recommended to those who like ale and cider. I'll definitely go there again.

Here's the pub's website

http://www.thethomastallisalehouse.co.uk/
I have been to the Thomas Tallis on a number of occasions. I agree that it is excellent for ciders, but imo the ale has always been disappointing. If you like key keg beers, then there’s a wide choice (though at about 50% higher price). There are usually 3 real ales but in my experience they’ve never been anything special. The majority of their beers are keykeg.

 I’m a big fan of micropubs, but the Thomas Tallis is not one of my favourites. Perhaps understandably, being in Canterbury, it has chosen to concentrate more on trendy craft keykeg beers rather than real ale. Being a CAMRA member and real ale lover I’m not a fan of keykeg and much prefer the New Inn or Dolphin pubs in Canterbury.

There are some fabulous micropubs in southeast Kent, such as the Lanes in Dover, Freed Man in Deal, the Yard of Ale and Four Candles in Broadstairs, to name but a few. If you like micropubs and real ale then you’ll find much better than the Thomas Tallis. Just my opinion.

 
I have been to the Thomas Tallis on a number of occasions. I agree that it is excellent for ciders, but imo the ale has always been disappointing. If you like key keg beers, then there’s a wide choice (though at about 50% higher price). There are usually 3 real ales but in my experience they’ve never been anything special. The majority of their beers are keykeg.

 I’m a big fan of micropubs, but the Thomas Tallis is not one of my favourites. Perhaps understandably, being in Canterbury, it has chosen to concentrate more on trendy craft keykeg beers rather than real ale. Being a CAMRA member and real ale lover I’m not a fan of keykeg and much prefer the New Inn or Dolphin pubs in Canterbury.

There are some fabulous micropubs in southeast Kent, such as the Lanes in Dover, Freed Man in Deal, the Yard of Ale and Four Candles in Broadstairs, to name but a few. If you like micropubs and real ale then you’ll find much better than the Thomas Tallis. Just my opinion.
Like you I am a member of CAMRA. Have been to a few micro-pubs in SE London and Kent. The first micro-pub in London, the Door Hinge in Welling is not far from where I live. There are also two micro-pubs in my town. The micro-pubs are a breath of fresh air. I reckon so many of the old type pubs (in what of a better expression) have become too complacent and serve the same old beer week in, week out.

Last year a crowd of us from one of the micro-pubs in the town where I live went to a few of the micro-pubs in Broadstairs. The Yard of Ales and the Four Candles were fine places. This year we're planning to visit the micro-pubs in Ramsgate.

One of the things I miss about not working in London is going to the Harp pub near Charing Cross. A wonderful pub.

 
Like you I am a member of CAMRA. Have been to a few micro-pubs in SE London and Kent. The first micro-pub in London, the Door Hinge in Welling is not far from where I live. There are also two micro-pubs in my town. The micro-pubs are a breath of fresh air. I reckon so many of the old type pubs (in what of a better expression) have become too complacent and serve the same old beer week in, week out.

Last year a crowd of us from one of the micro-pubs in the town where I live went to a few of the micro-pubs in Broadstairs. The Yard of Ales and the Four Candles were fine places. This year we're planning to visit the micro-pubs in Ramsgate.

One of the things I miss about not working in London is going to the Harp pub near Charing Cross. A wonderful pub.
I did a visit of the Ramsgate micropubs a couple of years ago and the best of them at that time was the Conqueror. A friendly place, with decent beers. It is however, very small and far from anything else of interest. That said, one visit is not sufficient to make a judgment and in my view a micropub’s quality always depends on the beers on at the time, so things may well have changed in the interim. If you’ve not been to Ramsgate before I would strongly recommend your visit should include the Artillery Arms which is a friendly pub with a long-standing good reputation and good range of well kept cask ales. 

 
I did a visit of the Ramsgate micropubs a couple of years ago and the best of them at that time was the Conqueror. A friendly place, with decent beers. It is however, very small and far from anything else of interest. That said, one visit is not sufficient to make a judgment and in my view a micropub’s quality always depends on the beers on at the time, so things may well have changed in the interim. If you’ve not been to Ramsgate before I would strongly recommend your visit should include the Artillery Arms which is a friendly pub with a long-standing good reputation and good range of well kept cask ales. 
Thank you for the information. It's years since I've been to Ramsgate. I think we'll probably go in June when the weather is better. Will visit the Artillery Arms.

When we went to Broadstairs last year we visited about six pubs and one of them ( I can't remember the name) had hundreds of second-hand books. Goodness knows how much we drunk.

 
Brew Day!!!!

I will brewing a Bitburger Pilsner Clone today. Hopefully everything goes as plan 
pray.gif


 
Update on my homebrewing

  • Eden's Gold is very good but I drank too many of them - I have only 6 left
  • My attempt to make a Bitburger clone didn't go as plan - maybe the beer will get better with age - a fitting dedication for Marko Marin :Troll_Face:
  • I had an experiment where I add hops to some Apple Cider I made - it's freakin' good - I order from White Labs a Scottish Cider Yeast strain  - maybe I will split the batches up w/ Apple Jack, regular cider & Hopped cider
Cheers!!!!

TyrionLannistercheers.gif
 
Update on my homebrewing

  • Eden's Gold is very good but I drank too many of them - I have only 6 left
  • My attempt to make a Bitburger clone didn't go as plan - maybe the beer will get better with age - a fitting dedication for Marko Marin :Troll_Face:
  • I had an experiment where I add hops to some Apple Cider I made - it's freakin' good - I order from White Labs a Scottish Cider Yeast strain  - maybe I will split the batches up w/ Apple Jack, regular cider & Hopped cider
Cheers!!!!

TyrionLannistercheers.gif
I read the first line then though you would say 

Rushed to hospital as vomiting blood...........

Yet fortunately if only 6 are left I congratulate you on a roaring success, look forward to future updates.

 
I read the first line then though you would say 
Rushed to hospital as vomiting blood...........
Yet fortunately if only 6 are left I congratulate you on a roaring success, look forward to future updates.
Bro, I have been making homebrews for the past 15 years. I was making wine before that. I find Zymurgy really therapeutic. My Uncle tells it's a trait that I inherited from my grandmother. Cheers mate & I hope one day you can enjoy one of my tasty beverages.
 
Date for the micro-pub crawl of Ramsgate has been fixed. The trip is on 27 April and there is about 20 of us going from my local micro-pub. Last year, we went to Broadstairs and visited five or six micro-pubs there. It was a great day out last year and I expect it to be same this year.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Like you I am a member of CAMRA. Have been to a few micro-pubs in SE London and Kent. The first micro-pub in London, the Door Hinge in Welling is not far from where I live. There are also two micro-pubs in my town. The micro-pubs are a breath of fresh air. I reckon so many of the old type pubs (in what of a better expression) have become too complacent and serve the same old beer week in, week out.

Last year a crowd of us from one of the micro-pubs in the town where I live went to a few of the micro-pubs in Broadstairs. The Yard of Ales and the Four Candles were fine places. This year we're planning to visit the micro-pubs in Ramsgate.

One of the things I miss about not working in London is going to the Harp pub near Charing Cross. A wonderful pub.
I lived in welling until 1988 and would go to the jolly fenman  in blackfen.

They had a micro brewery then and the bitter i would drink was called,        fenman fortune.

 
I lived in welling until 1988 and would go to the jolly fenman  in blackfen.

They had a micro brewery then and the bitter i would drink was called,        fenman fortune.
I went to the Jolly Fenman a couple of times but many years ago. Didn't realise that the pub had a micro brewery. A micro pub opened in Blackfen about four years ago and is near the George Staples pub. The George Staples used to be called the Woodman. Do you remember the Woodman?

 
Back
Top