The Beer Thread

London Pride is a good beer. That's a good price. In a Wetherspoons pub?Another fine Fuller's beer is ESB.
When I first moved to London, circa 1973, Ram and Special was the drink of choice if you were in a Youngs pub. Used to go out to Richmond and have a pint at the Three Pigeons which was right on the riverbank near the old Star and Garter home.

 
My mate recently got one of those Beer Hawk systems and reckons its fantastic, tastes as good as any pub pint hes ever had. I`m very tempted but have no idea how to sneak it past my wife ha ha...

 
When I first moved to London, circa 1973, Ram and Special was the drink of choice if you were in a Youngs pub. Used to go out to Richmond and have a pint at the Three Pigeons which was right on the riverbank near the old Star and Garter home.
I used to drink Youngs Special and also their Winter Warmer. Stopped drinking them not long after Youngs was taken over. Taste changed following the take over. A bit like Doombar. Used to like that but another beer which changed after a take over. Beer started to be brewed at another location. Shows the difference the water makes.

 
I used to drink Youngs Special and also their Winter Warmer. Stopped drinking them not long after Youngs was taken over. Taste changed following the take over. A bit like Doombar. Used to like that but another beer which changed after a take over. Beer started to be brewed at another location. Shows the difference the water makes.
Indeed. Back then, Youngs was brewed in Wandsworth and it was a really nice drop. Fullers ESB was tasty but the hangover was bloody awful so I stuck to Pride. The SU bar in those days served the usual keg stuff which, though it was cheap, wasn't. shall we say, the absolute apex. In Manchester, we had Boddingtons which was terrific and cheap when it was exclusively local and brewed right down the street from Strangeways prison. Robinsons from Stockport was equally as good but these days, it's all mass-marketed stuff.

Edit -: Youngs used to use horse-drawn drays to deliver their beer. Do they still do that?

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. Back then, Youngs was brewed in Wandsworth and it was a really nice drop. Fullers ESB was tasty but the hangover was bloody awful so I stuck to Pride. The SU bar in those days served the usual keg stuff which, though it was cheap, wasn't. shall we say, the absolute apex. In Manchester, we had Boddingtons which was terrific and cheap when it was exclusively local and brewed right down the street from Strangeways prison. Robinsons from Stockport was equally as good but these days, it's all mass-marketed stuff.

Edit -: Youngs used to use horse-drawn drays to deliver their beer. Do they still do that?
 I used to drink ESB a  lot in my younger days and agree that it was tasty and that it caused a terrible hangover. Only 5.5% in strength so not particularly strong. The other beer which used to give me terrible hangovers was Courage Directors. Again, not a particularly strong beer. I drink London Pride occasionally. Given a choice between that and Doombar Pride wins all the time. 

I drank Boddingtons back in the day. I remember it being a good beer and then changed. A mate of mine who grew up in Urmston (he's a City fan) and moved to London for a while in the eighties and introduced me to Boddingtons. A while since I've drunk Robinsons but did enjoy their Old Tom: a fine beer.

Found this about the horse drawn drays. Looks like Youngs stopped them in the eighties and nineties. A cousin of my Dad was a drayman for Youngs back in the day.

https://www.youngs.co.uk/heritage

I tend to drink beers from the small breweries nowadays. They taste so much better and don't have the blandness of the beers made by the big breweries. There are a few micro-pubs near where I live and they are doing takeaways at this time. There are also a couple of small breweries near me. Thank God for the micro pubs and micro breweries.

When you're next down in London try the Harp pub near Trafalgar Square. A great pub. Fuller's took it over a few years ago. Up until then it was an independent. Serves a great selection of beers especially Dark Star and Sambrook. There were concerns when Fuller's took it over that there would be mass changes but fair play to Fuller's they didn't make changes except having Pride on tap. I've never seen many people drink it though.

https://www.harpcoventgarden.com/

 
As mentioned above my the micro-pubs near where I live are doing takeaways. The one I tend to use has a few bottles of this beer in. Will treat myself. Westerham makes some fine beers and the brewery is not far from where I live.

98884439_2628212280838647_1630268177088774144_n.jpg


 
I think I’ve mention before that we use Westerham Brewery for our Sports Pavillion at work but in case I didn’t I’ll do it again. 

 
I think I’ve mention before that we use Westerham Brewery for our Sports Pavillion at work but in case I didn’t I’ll do it again. 
Westerham make some fine beers. My local micro pub often has Westerham beers on tap. The brewery is about 15 miles from where I live. Last year a crowd of us from my local micro pub went to the brewery for a tour and tasting session. 

 
Westerham make some fine beers. My local micro pub often has Westerham beers on tap. The brewery is about 15 miles from where I live. Last year a crowd of us from my local micro pub went to the brewery for a tour and tasting session. 
That would be when I brought it up last then  :laugh2:

 
Anyone tried one of these beerhawk perfect draft kits? My mates got one and reckons it's amazing. 

 
Takes me back to parties that my parents held back in the sixties and seventies. Loads of cans of Party Seven, bottles of Babycham and smoke filled rooms. Then me and my friends having parties. Still cans of Party Seven but also bottles of beer and Cinzano Bianco. Someone would bring a bottle of Cinzano to the party but it was never opened. I'm convinced that the bottle was passed from party to party.

 
Looks good. I'll have to treat myself. I'll mention it to the landlady of my local micro-pub. She gets in beers from all around the country.
Excellent, definitely worth giving it a go, cheers.

 
Excellent, definitely worth giving it a go, cheers.
You're welcome. I love trying beers from the smaller breweries. For me those in the small breweries put in more time and care than those in the big breweries. The beers from some of the big brewers often taste bland. There are a couple of small breweries near where I live and they make wonderful beers. One of them makes a beer which can only be found in my local micro pub.

Here's a great app for logging which beers you drink. A few people on here use it.

https://untappd.com/

Cheers.

 
You're welcome. I love trying beers from the smaller breweries. For me those in the small breweries put in more time and care than those in the big breweries. The beers from some of the big brewers often taste bland. There are a couple of small breweries near where I live and they make wonderful beers. One of them makes a beer which can only be found in my local micro pub.

Here's a great app for logging which beers you drink. A few people on here use it.

https://untappd.com/

Cheers.
Theres another brewery up here that makes really good Ales, https://www.ennerdalebrewery.co.uk/

That untappd site looks good, I like that you can rate them on it.

 
Back
Top