The Bonnie Prince: Charlie Cooke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lofty

First Team Regular
Messages
5,326
Reaction score
0
Last week I bought a signed copy, no less, of the hardback edition of The Bonnie Prince: Charlie Cooke by Charlie Cooke (obviously) and Martin Knight. And it only cost me ?5.51 including p&p. The other good news is that one of the other bidders was some pillock who's only previous eBay purchase was a 1962/63 FA Cup Tottenham v Burnley programme - in other words very possibly a T*tt*nh*m fan.

The book arrived in this morning's post, it's in perfect condition and the signature looks genuine.

Amazon SynopsisBefore Joe Cole, Dennis Wise and Frank Leboeuf were 'Here, There and Every ******* Where', there was Charlie Cooke. He arrived at Chelsea in 1966 as a replacement for club favourite Terry Venables and promptly delighted the fans with his superb ball skills, searing runs and perceptive crosses. Most spectacular of all was his magical body swerve that triggered a collective mega-decibel sigh from the Shed. They called him 'the Magician', 'the Maestro' and 'the Wizard', or just 'Charlie, Charlie, Charlie Cooke'. Cooke became a pivotal member of the mercurial Chelsea side of the late 1960s and '70s, playing alongside the likes of Peter Bonetti, Alan Hudson and Peter Osgood. The epic two-match 1970 FA Cup final against arch-enemies Leeds remains to this day one of the most-watched television events ever in the United Kingdom. Like many of the era, Cooke finished his career in America, where he played with and against the likes of George Best and Pele. But unlike most of the other British players, Cooke stayed on in the USA, helping the country to develop as a footballing nation. The Bonnie Prince is an insightful, exciting and entertaining account of a special footballer, once seen never forgotten.
I'm well pleased.

 
Oh come, he's been teetotal for over 25 years!
icon_lol.gif


 
Fantastic player , still look for clips of his playing days , one of my 1st football heros.

Anybody know of a book called ''One hump or Two '' by Frank Worthington , looking to get my hands on it .

 
Clubhappy,

That Frank Worthington book is pretty hard to come by - in 2nd hand book shops you will be lucky to get it for under 40 notes however ebay is the answer my friend!!

Signed copy here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Signed-One-Hu...QQcategoryZ30131QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1<brQQcmdZViewItem">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Signed-One-Hump-O ... dZViewItem

Unsigned

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/One-Hump-Or-T...goryZ30131QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZ<brViewItem">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/One-Hump-Or-Two-F ... dZViewItem

 
Never thought of ebay , nice one Loz .
You'd be surprised what Loz gets off ebay...lucky for him one puncture repair kit fits all, I reckon...
169.gif


nsu0040l.jpg


"No honey, it's just some more stuff for the bike. Nothing for you to worry your little head over..."

 
Something that's been puzzling me ever since I bought the book, is that according to Cookie:

This is what I am most proud of: three player of the year awards at Chelsea to go with the one each at Aberdeen and Dundee.
On the left of this is a photo of a plaque (I think) listing Chelsea's player of the year from Peter Bonetti in 1966-67 to Pat Nevin in 1983 - 84. Charlie Cooke is listed as having won the award in 1967-68, 1974-75, and 1975-76. I'll scan the plaque tomorrow sometime, I've been well busy tonight and enough is enough.

And yet if you look just about anywhere else, including the Official Site Ray Wilkins is listed as player of the year for 1975-76.

I've got no idea if this was another player of the year award or what. But it's puzzling the life out of me. I don't suppose anyone know anything about it by any chance?

 
PlayerOfTheYear.jpg


Not tampered with in any way, trust me, this is scanned directly from the book. Any ideas anyone?

 
IN addition to that Lofty - I have the 80 award going to Clive Walker not Borota (I have Borota as only winning it in 81)

 
I didn't notice that but you're right. From the Official Site for the same period:

1967 Peter Bonetti1968 Charlie Cooke

1969 David Webb

1970 John Hollins

1971 John Hollins

1972 David Webb

1973 Peter Osgood

1974 Gary Locke

1975 Charlie Cooke

1976 Ray Wilkins

1977 Ray Wilkins

1978 Micky Droy

1979 Tommy Langley

1980 Clive Walker

1981 Petar Borota

1982 Mike Fillery

1983 Joey Jones

1984 Pat Nevin
The plot thickens.

 
IN addition to that Lofty - I have the 80 award going to Clive Walker not Borota (I have Borota as only winning it in 81)
That's the Chelsea Official Supporters Club Award, Loz, according to the Full Statistical History by Hockings and Cheshire. Can't solve the plaque mystery though - the book lists Butch as having won it in 76 (The Joe Mears Memorial Trophy, that is), but maybe there's some confusion over the years due to the fact that the plaque lists them in seasons and the list I have (and is generally around) is done by year. So Charlie won it in 75 and Butch in 76, but maybe it got changed to a seasonal listing and someone made an error (maybe), and put figures in front of and behind the '75' of Charlies' (to make 74-75 & 75-76) but only behind the 76 of Butch (to make 76-77). Possible.

 
IN addition to that Lofty - I have the 80 award going to Clive Walker not Borota (I have Borota as only winning it in 81)
That's the Chelsea Official Supporters Club Award, Loz, according to the Full Statistical History by Hockings and Cheshire. Can't solve the plaque mystery though - the book lists Butch as having won it in 76 (The Joe Mears Memorial Trophy, that is), but maybe there's some confusion over the years due to the fact that the plaque lists them in seasons and the list I have (and is generally around) is done by year. So Charlie won it in 75 and Butch in 76, but maybe it got changed to a seasonal listing and someone made an error (maybe), and put figures in front of and behind the '75' of Charlies' (to make 74-75 & 75-76) but only behind the 76 of Butch (to make 76-77). Possible.
Except that Charlie Cooke himself says "this is what I am most proud of, three player of the year awards". Nowhere else have I ever seen any reference to Cookie winning any more than two player of the year awards. Unless someone (Martin Knight perhaps) misheard Charlie and had a plaque made up to go with what he'd heard .. but then there are the two Peter Borota's ...

 
Ok I'm still none the wiser so I've just emailed Charlie Cooke to ask him if he can clear up the confusion.

 
And I've just had this reply:

The plaque was housed in the Chelsea offices when we photographed it and obviously represents some kind of record. I have to say none of the names seem out of place to me. J Hollins for example seems correct; and Webbie and Ossie too. My guess would be it's accurate about me too.

One explanation may be there may have been more than one award made by different entities like supporter groups etc. that may have accrued "official" labels over the years.

But the truth is I don't really know. I can assure you the trophy exists and wasn't fabricated in any way.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Best regards.

Charlie.

Charlie Cooke

Director Coerver Coaching USA
 
Great stuff Lofty. Mystery still tantalisingly unsolved though.

 
nice- good to see such a fast response from him too!

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top