The Claudio Ranieri Appreciation Society

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeta

Members AF
Messages
24,697
Reaction score
11,406
Of course we all (well most of us) love José, Carlo was a gentleman and a winner and who could forget the achievements of RDM last year as well, but one man who tends to get overlooked when we look to the past is Ranieri, so I just wanted to take a minute to make a little "thank you" thread for him.

He took over a decent side who had been consistently top 5/6 for a few years, but had slipped back a bit in the last few, and took us forward again into the CL (without which Roman would never have taken over we can assume).

He assembled a good squad with a mix of experience and youth even before Roman came in.

He took us to 2nd and within touching distance of a CL final in ROman's first year, making signings along the way who were key to our success under Jose and others:

Cech

Makelele

Robben

Cole

Duff

He promoted Terry to captain.

He signed Lampard and put his faith in him.

And if all of that isn't enough for you, he also did this:


Thanks Claudio.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Loved Claudio, someone would need to have a heart of stone not to love him after seeing him so emotional after that win against arsenal. But.......I just cant shake that balls up he made in Monaco and for that single game (as harshly as it may be) he will always be one of those "nearly" managers to me.

 
Never a fan.

Certainly has his place in CFC history, no-one can argue that but we certainly shouldve won a lot more games under him than we did. His penchant for settling on the 1-0 (removing an attacker for a midfielder) cost us many points. Yes,he took us to second in Romans first season but with that squad that was more than to be expected especially up against the worst Utd team in memory. Even then we still shoudlve picked up more poionts that season.

And, as DKW says, then there was Monaco. His defining match. Still a complete headf**k i cant accept 8 years on.The site of Scott Parker at rightback, Jimmy on the wing, Veron hopping on the left and Huth in the midfield borders on amusement and it would be funny if it wasnt so tragic.

Claudio was a nice guy but not a winner. That team needed a winner to lead them to the next level.

And the club called it perfectly and got the right man at the right time.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you on the timing, he took us as far as he could. I would love to sit down with him and ask him just what the hell happened in Monaco, what exactly was his thinking on those batsh*t mental player positions.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ken Bates was a great fan of Claudio. I agree with those saying he got Blues on the CL treadmill and deserves his part in Chelsea's recent history. Let's hope he lasts longer at Monaco than he has at some of his more recent stopovers.

 
I was never a fan. I found his team selections and substitutions baffling. One game we were losing at home to Charlton 1-0 and he took Hasselbaink AND Zola off and played Stanic up front on his own (I'm sure this happened.....unless I dreamt it....it sounds preposterous but with Claudio it most probably did happen). We lost the game 1-0. The way I look at it is that we were winning trophies before he came.....in 97 (FA Cup), 98 (League Cup and Cup Winners Cup), 99 (only European Super Cup but finished 3rd in the league only 4 points behind United's greatest ever side), 00 FA Cup. He came in 00/01 (right?) and left after 03/04.....in that time we won nothing and we never pushed for the title (2nd in 04 but some way behind Arsenal with a much bigger, more expensive squad). The following season, Mourinho took over and we started winning things again - quite comprehensively too. I don't think it is a coincidence. Look at Claudio's career. I think he has only won a couple of domestic cups (which are less prestigious in Italy and Spain) in a career spanning more-or-less 25 years. Pretty poor considering the clubs he has managed.....Napoli, Fiorentina, Athletico Madrid, Chelsea, Valencia, Juve, Roma, Inter, Parma. Jose would have won plenty with those sides.

What I will say is that he is good at building teams and signing good young players. He did it at Valencia and Calgary and took over during a difficult time at Juve. That said, if you want someone to win you trophies, then Claudio clearly isn't your man. I think with the players he had at his disposal at Chelsea, he should have at least won one trophy.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice guy but not a great manager - actually I thought the team regressed a bit when he came on board - the CL qualification was in his third year. I accept this is mitigated by having to ease out some of the fading stars. Also, I don't believe he signed Cole - I could be wrong.

To finish on a high(bury) note - one of my all time favourite Chelsea matches -absolute electric.

Good luck Claudio.

 
I love Claudio, and think he was fired too quickly. I wish him well wherever he manages, and I agree that he step up the building blocks for the team we have now.

 
Ranieri did great during his time here so I appreciate him, although I think he took us as far as he could and we sacked him at the right time. I think at least once every couple of months me and my Dad get into a discussion about how it was the right time for him to go and Mourinho installed a winning mentality within the team.

 
Ranieri did a lot of good work for the club and I will always be very grateful to him for the part he played in the rise of CFC. However, he had clearly taken the club as far as he could and was not the man to lead us in the CL and in the Premiership title race; to this day I still scratch my head at his illogical 'tinkering', displayed so vividly in the Monaco horror show. I can't believe we didn't win the Champions League that season. Nevertheless, I'm still fond of the Tinkerman and was sad to see him leave, even though it was for the best.

 
Funnily enough, we were liked when Claudio was our manager, even after Roman arrived. Then we hired Jose and everyone started hating us.

Nice guys don't make great managers.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top