The Hall Of Fame

bluelion111

First Team Squad
Messages
1,462
Reaction score
149
So reading through the comments section about the new stadium and about Osgood's stature got me thinking, how would you rank our many glorious servants? Having only watched since the late 90's, I'll largely defer to more veteran members on here but from what I've seen:

Legends  (In no particular order)

Zola

Terry

Lampard

Cech 

Drogba

Di Matteo

Mourinho

A. Cole

Icons (Again in no order)

Ivanovic

Robben

Makelele

Essien

Ballack

Hasselbaink

Wise

Ancelotti

Vialli

Desailly

Carvalho

Gallas

Mata

Ramires

Torres- Just for THAT goal.

Gerrard :laugh2:

And so on and so forth until

Unspeakables

Bogarde

Djilibodiji

Cuadrado

Ovrebo

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Unspeakables.... to me that means something malicious, like if Gallas HAD scored an own goal on purpose.

I could put Mutu in the Unspeakable category if forced to pick someone, but rather I would scrap it. Hall of Fame, not Hall of Infamy :-)

 
Could an older member enlighten me on Osgood's stature? I'm not denying he's a legend, more asking what made him so? His stats aren't as impressive as some other players who have played for us I think and it's all well and good reading his exploits on the internet but you don't get a feel of why he was such a great

 
Could an older member enlighten me on Osgood's stature? I'm not denying he's a legend, more asking what made him so? His stats aren't as impressive as some other players who have played for us I think and it's all well and good reading his exploits on the internet but you don't get a feel of why he was such a great
Its not all about stats . Osgood was a top player on and off the field he was approachable by the fans and he was a gent. He was at the heart of all things good in late 60s and early 70s. Sadly he got he's leg broke and lost a little bit of speed. Ossie was a leader in the dressing room. He scored in every round of the fa cup nobody has done it since. I've met Ossie numerous times and he was a gent and always made time for people. That's my view on him. Obviously the older fans can tell you more about he's playing skills but for me he is the king of Stamford bridge.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Its not all about stats . Osgood was a top player on and off the field he was approachable by the fans and he was a gent. He was at the heart of all things good in late 60s and early 70s. Sadly he got he's leg broke and lost a little bit of speed. Ossie was a leader in the dressing room. He scored in every round of the fa cup nobody has done it since. I've met Ossie numerous times and he was a gent and always made time for people. That's my view on him. Obviously the older fans can tell you more about he's playing skills but for me he is the king of Stamford bridge.
What about Tambling though? 202 goals in a time before we became a superpower club is insane in hindsight, surely he should be held in similar esteem?

 
What about Tambling though? 202 goals in a time before we became a superpower club is insane in hindsight, surely he should be held in similar esteem?
Ossie was also a member of the team that won in Athens against real Madrid and he was datind actresses he had that bit of swagger that not many had. Again its not about ststs Ossie was a crowd favourite you'll have to ask the older lot I'm just saying how I feel. The reality is if Ossie didn't die we might not have that statue the fans fought so hard to get. Bobby is very much a fans favourite the simple fact is it was extremely difficult to get a statue of Ossie we can't have a statue of everyone.

 
Could an older member enlighten me on Osgood's stature? I'm not denying he's a legend, more asking what made him so? His stats aren't as impressive as some other players who have played for us I think and it's all well and good reading his exploits on the internet but you don't get a feel of why he was such a great
This in a nutshell is what modern football has become. A fan questioning one of the greatest players not just of Chelsea but of his era because he looked up his stats on the internet and wasn't that impressed. I really am saddened by this. All 92 clubs will have there own legends regardless of stats. Football isn't always about winning trophies and personal glory.

 
This in a nutshell is what modern football has become. A fan questioning one of the greatest players not just of Chelsea but of his era because he looked up his stats on the internet and wasn't that impressed. I really am saddened by this. All 92 clubs will have there own legends regardless of stats. Football isn't always about winning trophies and personal glory.
I agree but he's a young fan looking at the history of the club so at least he wants to learn

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Could an older member enlighten me on Osgood's stature? I'm not denying he's a legend, more asking what made him so? His stats aren't as impressive as some other players who have played for us I think and it's all well and good reading his exploits on the internet but you don't get a feel of why he was such a great
Part of a young exciting Chelsea side that other fans also enjoyed watching. Getting his debut at 17 he was one of our own..fans like that, a lesson to be learned by the current Chelsea setup. He scored in every round of our cup success in 1970 , equalising with a diving header( one of my favourite moments as a Chelsea fan) and also got the goal in the first match against Real. He is remembered as a player who excited us and quite rightly exalted by all.

 
This in a nutshell is what modern football has become. A fan questioning one of the greatest players not just of Chelsea but of his era because he looked up his stats on the internet and wasn't that impressed. I really am saddened by this. All 92 clubs will have there own legends regardless of stats. Football isn't always about winning trophies and personal glory.
not at all mate. Stats are irrelevant for me it's just a way of gaining perspective if you weren't around to see Ossie like I was. Hence why I was asking if there was more to the man than just his stats
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies everyone- I wasn't completely clueless about Osgood- but having never seen him play I wanted the opinions of those who did in order to make comparisons and gain knowledge

 
Thanks for the replies everyone- I wasn't completely clueless about Osgood- but having never seen him play I wanted the opinions of those who did in order to make comparisons and gain knowledge
So you didn't want my opinion thanks a lot

 
what? I meant anyone who had knowledge. Those who saw him play are more likely to have known why he was such a favourite mm?
Im joking mate lol. Your welcome you should always check the clubs history so good on you for doing that

 
Im joking mate lol. Your welcome you should always check the clubs history so good on you for doing that
had me going there :laugh: thanks for the info and yeah I'm pretty well versed but it's always nice to get the personal views of fans older than me
 
Don't appear to be able to edit my original post, but in hindsight I agree that J. Cole should be in there.

 
Back
Top