It looked like the old flag to me, "only a pound now urry up" handing it out as well. Whether this was the new 'pc' fire safe version that was promissed or indeed 'the flag' i'm not sure.
I also noticed the other flags being passed around various areas of the ground and enjoyed this very much. I'm not sure if certain inn-house rules have been relaxed(lets hope so) becuase independent banners/flags have been banned in the past. This has given to an un-imaginative and uniform feel to the stands and in turn response from the crowd, albeit inforsed.
I too remember the Wolves game and was there, its not then though that the song particularly springs to mind. For me it was Sheffield Wednesday away, which may well have been in the next round. I'm thinking now about the '94 cup run though not '97.(may be wrong but i'm sure we played Wolves in both, in fact i'm certain we did and was at both games) I may be mistaken though. I'm sure Wednesday away was in '94 when the Mancs beat us in the final.
It was the Kerry Dixon semi at Wembley against Luton when having spoken about it to him since, and having been there myself to witness it was a fantastic homage from the fans to a Chelsea legend in one of his final outings. Something as a fan i know he deserverd and as a player and person i know he appreciated.
I think there was about 60,000 at Wembley that day at least 40,000 were Chelsea. (where were we when we were sh*t ah?) Kerry having been subbed walked past the 'home' end(either or) to the changing rooms to the sort of ovation that makes a grown man cry(not my words). My hairs stand on end thinking about it now yet i was one of the masses actually 'giving praise'.(class/quality)
I'll never forget that midweek game in Sheffield, yes it was probably a Wednesday. I was in the home end with a few Chelsea but near the away end(withing diving distance which was nice). I honestly sitting here now could'nt tell you the final score,(feel pretty sure we scored 4 for some reason but may be thinking of another visit to Hillsborough) i remember it more for the fans and the feeling than the result and the football. The away end was packed, we were going through and the chorus of 'blue flag' was rocking Hillsborough to its core. I was probably about 17/18 at the time, surrounded by surely old yorkshireman pointing and cursing at the away fans and their jubilation. I joined in without fear of thought. 'Carefree'. Shouted until i could'nt get any louder and if anybody did'nt like it then its their problem.
Unfortunatly the passion and emotion pouring out into those words hav'nt been heard over Chelsea for a long time. I too would love to hear us sing that song with the same passion and meaning as it was first sung. I've watched players like Frank Labeouf and Mark Hughes sit on the half wayline at Wembley in complete shock and ore at Chelsea fans reaction to winning the FA cup. At hearing that song.( A player in Hughes who had already won the cup 4 times and played and won trophies all over Europe for some of its biggest clubs)
It seems though now something has been lost in translation with regards to what it means to us.
'Stick the blue flag up your arse' was a song that showed jealousey for our journey, our rise from near extintion to safety and ultimutley our rise to glory.
I hear people half singing blue flag under their breath, not standing on seats and bounding it out at the top of their voices like people should, like people have in far more 'difficult and intimedating circumstances'. Like people who cant afford to get into Stamford Bridge regularly would given the chance.
Next time your at a game, dont look at the bloke next to you trying to start a song like he's some kind of idiot. Dont think about who's looking at you('cos lets be fair, who the fcuks thinking about you?).Think about all the people outside, who'd like to be there who are thinking about what an idiot you are for paying all that money to do 'fcuk all' about it in term of support. If you cant think about Chelsea, then think about being somewhere else, think about playing with the traffic on the way home. Think about Arsenal. Just fcuk off.