The Shed End Sound System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some great stuff in here, but to be honest.  What separates Bluebeat, from Ska, to Rocksteady etc?
To make the long story short, ska's got a faster tempo than rocksteady. It's funny that usually a genre in pop music evolves into faster and faster versions of itself, but in Jamaica they do things differently. Rocksteady is slower than ska, reggae is often slower than rocksteady and then there's dub... :happy001:

I think bluebeat is a bit like 2-Tone, in the sense that a record company's (Blue Beat Records) name is used as a name for a genre. Although I think bluebeat's not really a well defined genre, but it covers all sorts of subgenres of early Jamaican pop(ska included).

 
Posted this in the Musical Connections thread, but figured I might as well post it here too...


 
I love the whole Satta Massagana album, which I still have on cassette.  Anyway, have a load of this


 
One of my favourite reggae artists ever, Lucky Dube, South Africa's finest!


 
Some great tunes up there ^

I absolutely love Satta Massagana, I finally got Declaration of Dub last week so I've been revisiting it. I don't know Lucky Dubé nearly as well although I do have a couple of his albums - anything you'd recommend Steve? In terms of African reggae I am a huge fan of Alpha Blondy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhN14tANaRw


 
Some great tunes up there ^

I absolutely love Satta Massagana, I finally got Declaration of Dub last week so I've been revisiting it. I don't know Lucky Dubé nearly as well although I do have a couple of his albums - anything you'd recommend Steve? In terms of African reggae I am a huge fan of Alpha Blondy:
My favourite Lucky Dube albums came out consecutively...

1987 - Slave

1988 - Together As One

1989 - Prisoner

1990 - Captured Live

1991 - House Of Exile

1993 - Victims

I'd strongly recommend the 'Captured Live' album, it's absolutely brilliant! The best of the studio albums is probably 'Prisoner', but they are all well worth a listen.

 
I've been putting together a playlist for the midsummer festivities. I know loads of good tunes that would suit my need, but I'd love to hear some new ones. Well, not necessarily new songs, but songs I haven't heard before or I've forgotten about. Help me out here!

So, please post some cheery reggae, rocksteady, ska, etc. songs that you'd love to hear on a beautiful summer day. It can be a chill out song or a party song. Something that's guaranteed to put a smile on your face. I'd love to hear something I haven't heard a million times already. 

Or if you've got a great Spotify playlist(s), I'd love to take a look at them.

 
I know it's Ska and not Reggae but I thought it worth sharing this band here, The Slackers.

Really good band, seen them live a few times too and they were very good, this is one of my favourite tunes.


 
I know it's Ska and not Reggae but I thought it worth sharing this band here...
I've never been too picky about the genres. Ska, reggae, rocksteady... It's all good. At least when it comes to the older music and bands that have a more traditional sound. I went to see Slackers live at a local club a few years ago. Their "ska meets old school soul" thing worked pretty well. Never owned any of their records, though. I'm sure you're familiar with The Aggrolites... They're my favourite out of the more recent bands. They also mix old school soul with some ska/early reggae/rocksteady and maybe even bit of old school funk.

 
I've never been too picky about the genres. Ska, reggae, rocksteady... It's all good. At least when it comes to the older music and bands that have a more traditional sound. I went to see Slackers live at a local club a few years ago. Their "ska meets old school soul" thing worked pretty well. Never owned any of their records, though. I'm sure you're familiar with The Aggrolites... They're my favourite out of the more recent bands. They also mix old school soul with some ska/early reggae/rocksteady and maybe even bit of old school funk.
I just didn't want to "hijack" the thread with music that may not be seen as relevant so thought it best to admit it wasn't the same genre. 

I mainly got into ska/reggae through Punk so my knowledge is pretty limited in truth but wanted to throw in the tiny bit of know how I had. 

 
I mainly got into ska/reggae through Punk so my knowledge is pretty limited in truth but wanted to throw in the tiny bit of know how I had. 
That's the route I took as well when I was a teen, and then have gone for the older records. If you haven't heard The Aggrolites, I recommend giving them a chance. These are the ones I recommend starting with if you're interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Aggrolites_%28album%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IV_%28The_Aggrolites_album%29

For those who know the older stuff, The Aggrolites worked as a live backing band for Derrick Morgan in early '00s, so based on that, it might be something you might want to check out. Or not... :happy001:


 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top