Tinkerman was ahead of his time

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main problem with his last season is that I always felt he had no idea what our best 11 was. 
In fairness he probably didn't, I think a lot of clubs who suddenly find themselves flush with cash have the same issue.

You end up buying too many players and can't bed them all in to find your best team.

I always thought that we signed Veron because we didn't think we would be able to get Makalele, so then we we did get Maka it was a case of "so what do we do with Veron"?

And unlike now, we was overstocked on players pushing for a first team place in central midfield because probably signed too many midfielders during Roman's first transfer window.

Same with the strikers I guess, we already had Hasselbaink and Gudjohnsen who were two of the better strikers in the league at that point and then we had Mutu and Crespo as well (what would you give to have that strike force now?) so there was a lot of "tinkering" upfront too. 

 
And Carlton Cole.

I think he was too nice for his own good at times. In his last season i think he wanted to keep everyone happy so kept tinkering with the starting line up. It just doesnt really work.

Jose came in and built a spine and then those around it would come in and out of the team.

It is very important to a team to have a core to the team. Have a number of players that play pretty much every game and get use to each other.

When the players change each game it takes so much longer for players to get use to each other and how they play.

Last season Mazacar were on fire because they pretty much played week in week out but this season we dont seem to be clicking quite as well (yet) because nearly every week the team is rotated.

While it is important to keep the players fit and healthy it is more vital that they play together and find a flow.

 
He had nothing to do with the signing of Lamps? Then who did? :) You're underestimating him. He may not be a winner but he sure does know how to build a squad.

And José may have not needed it but in fact he did inherit a fantastic squad from Claudio which no doubt helped him a lot to win the PL in both of his first two seasons.
lamps' autobiography said the reason he chose chelsea over leeds was because Ranieri wanted him more, and told Lamps exactly how he owuld use him, and how he could make him a better player. Ranieri had EVERYTHING to do with Lamps signing!

 
lamps' autobiography said the reason he chose chelsea over leeds was because Ranieri wanted him more, and told Lamps exactly how he owuld use him, and how he could make him a better player. Ranieri had EVERYTHING to do with Lamps signing!
He brought Lampard but if you recall started out playing him in the wide midfield position!! He only got switched to a central midfield role due to injuries other players. Ranieri may have gone out and brought many of the pieces of the jigsaw, but he had absolutely no idea how to put them all together. The larger his squad became the more confused he seemed to get.

Fact is Ranieri was never a truly top class manager with a charisma and presence like Jose, Ferguson, or even, at that time, Wenger.

And Ruud Gullit was talking about the importance of depth of squad and implementing player rotation before Claudio arrived.

 
He brought Lampard but if you recall started out playing him in the wide midfield position!! He only got switched to a central midfield role due to injuries other players. Ranieri may have gone out and brought many of the pieces of the jigsaw, but he had absolutely no idea how to put them all together. The larger his squad became the more confused he seemed to get.
Can't be 100% sure but I have a vague memory of either Ranieri or Frank saying the idea of playing him on the right was to help him develop parts of his game that were weaker.

 
Doesn't need? Maybe but Ranieri HAD laid those foundations. He bought Lampard and Makalele who were essential to the title wins, he bought JT through and made him captain despite his young age.

He signed Robben, Duff and Cole whereas Jose signed Wright-Phillips, how much Ranieri was involved in the signings after Roman bought the club who knows but they were made under his management.
 Agree except I think desailly was captain when ranieri was the boss

 
Agree except I think desailly was captain when ranieri was the boss
Initially yes but if I remember rightly Ranieri was the one who decided JT should be made captain after Desailly left and I think he made JT captain in the matches Desailly didn't play. 

 
Ok fair enough. Desailly went the same season ranieri did. He made some great signings. Didn't Robben and cech sign for us when ranieri was manager? Not sure how much say he had with them two signings. I liked him but he wasn't ruthless enough.

 
Can't be 100% sure but I have a vague memory of either Ranieri or Frank saying the idea of playing him on the right was to help him develop parts of his game that were weaker.
I can remember something about that too. Claudio was a great team builder, not so much a great coach. He has left many a new manager a belting squad.

 
Maybe he should become a director of football or something like that.

 
Ranieri was never Roman's choice so it was always a matter of when not if. He was a brilliant man manager but not so much a great tactician (unusual for an Italian coach). I was upset to see him go but in hindsight it was probably best for him and us. I'm grateful for what he did and he really laid down the foundations for us to succeed by beating Arsenal in the CL and buying Cech, Lampard, J.Cole and Drogba. Jose was just a superior coach and made the aforementioned better players.

 
Myles, Jose not Ranieri, brought Drogba.

Ranieri generally preferred Hasslebaink, to Crespo.

Nuff said.

 
No comparison between Jimmy and Crespo.

Crespo all day long.
I'm just saying for Chelsea....In terms of the careers in general, yes Crespo.

For Chelsea, in my opinion, it's Jimmy. The boy knew where the onion bag was that's for sure.

Crespo just didn't settle at Chelsea, if he had, could have been one of our all time greatest strikers. 

Jimmy was playing at a time when I was in my mid teens so I am very fond of him as a player, one of the best forwards I have had the privilege of watching play for Chelsea. 

 
I'm just saying for Chelsea....In terms of the careers in general, yes Crespo.

For Chelsea, in my opinion, it's Jimmy. The boy knew where the onion bag was that's for sure.

Crespo just didn't settle at Chelsea, if he had, could have been one of our all time greatest strikers. 

Jimmy was playing at a time when I was in my mid teens so I am very fond of him as a player, one of the best forwards I have had the privilege of watching play for Chelsea. 
A player that divides opinion. Too much of an individualist for me. Sure, he banged in loads of goals but there was a price to be paid, in terms of the team, that's my view. His stats can mask the fundamental flaw in his game. 

Crespo? Thought he was brilliant at Chelsea, when he got a game. If we had him now, we would stroll the title.

 
A player that divides opinion. Too much of an individualist for me. Sure, he banged in loads of goals but there was a price to be paid, in terms of the team, that's my view. His stats can mask the fundamental flaw in his game. 

Crespo? Thought he was brilliant at Chelsea, when he got a game. If we had him now, we would stroll the title.
Crespo was good for Chelsea but in and out of the side too much for me to hold dear memories of him, though his strikes against Arsenal and Wigan away instantly come to mind.

As for Jimmy, he was selfish but he had the goal scoring ability to back it up and was maybe the most consistent goal scorer I have seen for Chelsea.

His partnership with Eidur back in 2000 (I think) was brilliant and I haven't seen two players who us have that kind of link up since. 

 
My favourite Crespo goals were when I was in a house full of scousers. He was on loan to AC Milan. You could hear a pin drop when his 2nd went in. I really tried not to laugh.

Sadly, I should have left that house at half time :(

 
Always liked and respected Raneri, but there's a reason the man has never won a league title. You need to pick your best team 90% of the team to win the title, and I don't think he did that in his last season with us. Anyway, hope he does well 

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top