Toby Alderweireld for Filipe Luis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFunkeyGibbon

First Team Squad
Messages
1,298
Reaction score
124
Atletico Madrid have offered centre-back Toby Alderweireld, 26, in exchange for Chelsea left-back Filipe Luis but Blues boss Jose Mourinho is keeping the Spanish club waiting as he considers his options. (Daily Telegraph)

------

Sounds like good business to me. The only question is do we have back up enough for Dave?

 
Great defender, I like him. I would have thought with Miranda leaving they would keep Aldereireld though.

Due to Alderweireld's versatility, I think he can even play both fullback positions, I think his arrival would spell the end for any slim chance Ake has with us and I would be pretty pissed about that. Ake can easily surpass him given the chance. So based mainly on that, I would say no thanks. 

 
Did someone at the club lose all the other parts of the rollerdex so now we only have contact details for Atletico?

 
Would it be a stretch to say that, if these speculated deals come off, that we would come out looking weaker than last season?

Is hardly signings of cesc and Costa magnitude. Plus a legend leaving for a rival.

 
What a stupid deal. Alderweireld hardly even plays for Atletico, more of a backup. In fact Simeone actually prefers to play a right back at left back instead of using Alderweireld. I hope Atletico don't make mugs of us. 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
He probably found it hard to play for atletico while on loan at Southampton.

 
What a stupid deal. Alderweireld hardly even plays for Atletico, more of a backup. In fact Simeone actually prefers to play a right back at left back instead of using Alderweireld. I hope Atletico don't make mugs of us.
We play a right back at left back too doesn't mean anything and of course he was at Southampton last season so....

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Alderweireld would be a good signing, he was excellent at Southampton last season and provides quality cover over more or less the entire backline, and can even fill in at DM if necessary, which would be useful in the increasingly likely event that Mikel leaves. He would certainly be a more natural fit in midfield than Zouma as well.

Losing Luis would be a problem though, it would mean that the club wouldn't have a single natural left back in the senior squad, he would certainly need replacing. Luis is good but there have been more or less constant rumours about him being unsettled and wanting more game time; it would be a shame to lose him though as I think he's excellent.

 
Plays anywhere along back 4. Versatile. Straight swap id feel a bit disappointed with as Luis cost best part of 17-18m.  Alderweireld and say 6-7m would suffice

 
Might as well buy back Bertrand; problem with Southampton is they play as a unit and their DMs offer their defence a lot of protection, hence they concede few goals. You can't really be sure of how good their individual players are, just look at Lovren at Liverpool.

 
Might as well buy back Bertrand; problem with Southampton is they play as a unit and their DMs offer their defence a lot of protection, hence they concede few goals. You can't really be sure of how good their individual players are, just look at Lovren at Liverpool.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top