Bobbywoodhogan
Legend
- Messages
- 23,453
- Reaction score
- 2,439
Winning the Europa League in the final minute was thrilling & nerve-wracking as most Chelsea cup wins are but what are your top 5 cup wins and why (this us excluding league title wins):
1. Champions League Final 2012
Nothing compares to this, the game itself was poor but it came alive towards the end, from our greatest cup final hero Drogba scoring an equaliser with only injury time remaining, the moment Cech stopped an extra time pen from an ex player in Arjen Robben and the fact that we actually won the damn thing on pens with a farewell winning penalty from Didier Drogba was unbelievable. I actually cried when we won this something I hadn't done before in football. This will forever be my favourite moment ever as a Chelsea fan. We finally got the holy grail and I think the fact that Robbie DiMatteo was in charge made it all the sweeter. Just WOW!
2. Cup Winners Cup '98
My fond memories come from this as this is what I consider my Chelsea, i remember watching this in the kitchen at home on Channel 5 as i had done with all the CWP games that year, to see my favourite player Zola ever scored the winner was incredible. Nostalgia definitely puts this one high on the list.
3. FA Cup Final 1997
This was the first trophy I ever saw Chelsea win but I have to admit to everything been a blur after Robbie scored that amazing record timing goal. I do remember dancing around fir the celebrations. Really really good memories and looking back the most important trophy we won during the Premier League Years.
4. FA Cup Final 2007
Not the greatest if games but after United had taken our title we needed this win. The league cup was a great addition earlier in the year against Arsenal in what was definitely one if the best games for a final as they're usually stinkers but it was never going to be enough. This game was in no way a classic, it had some moments but it never really cane alive into we scored the decisive winner with a stunning team goal greatly finished by Mr Cup Final himself Didier Drogba. It turned what has been a disappointing league campaign into a superb season.
5. Europa League Final 2013
This might have made the list mostly cause its fresh in my mind but it was again dramatic right up until the end. The first half was a stinker but the second half more than made up for it. We had our backs against the wall most if the game but to finally see Fernando Torres score such an important goal made me ecstatic, definitely his most important goal for us. I was gutted when they git back in with a one and I have to admit I thought we had f**ked it. But Ivan saved the day in the final moments with a stunning header, that was it I thought but my heart was in my mouth when Benfica had that chance in the final seconds, thank god for Gary Cahill. Such an important win, I'm sure it's gonna lead to great things.
That's my top 5 ranked from best to well still amazing but not as good as the one above it
I do want to add though that the league cup win over Arsenal in 2007 would definitely have been fifth as of all the games listed it was probably the best football match of the lot and Drogba's headed winner is one of the best cup final goals ever. I always love a win over Arsenal and this was one of the most special but the Europa League win just pips this for me.
1. Champions League Final 2012
Nothing compares to this, the game itself was poor but it came alive towards the end, from our greatest cup final hero Drogba scoring an equaliser with only injury time remaining, the moment Cech stopped an extra time pen from an ex player in Arjen Robben and the fact that we actually won the damn thing on pens with a farewell winning penalty from Didier Drogba was unbelievable. I actually cried when we won this something I hadn't done before in football. This will forever be my favourite moment ever as a Chelsea fan. We finally got the holy grail and I think the fact that Robbie DiMatteo was in charge made it all the sweeter. Just WOW!
2. Cup Winners Cup '98
My fond memories come from this as this is what I consider my Chelsea, i remember watching this in the kitchen at home on Channel 5 as i had done with all the CWP games that year, to see my favourite player Zola ever scored the winner was incredible. Nostalgia definitely puts this one high on the list.
3. FA Cup Final 1997
This was the first trophy I ever saw Chelsea win but I have to admit to everything been a blur after Robbie scored that amazing record timing goal. I do remember dancing around fir the celebrations. Really really good memories and looking back the most important trophy we won during the Premier League Years.
4. FA Cup Final 2007
Not the greatest if games but after United had taken our title we needed this win. The league cup was a great addition earlier in the year against Arsenal in what was definitely one if the best games for a final as they're usually stinkers but it was never going to be enough. This game was in no way a classic, it had some moments but it never really cane alive into we scored the decisive winner with a stunning team goal greatly finished by Mr Cup Final himself Didier Drogba. It turned what has been a disappointing league campaign into a superb season.
5. Europa League Final 2013
This might have made the list mostly cause its fresh in my mind but it was again dramatic right up until the end. The first half was a stinker but the second half more than made up for it. We had our backs against the wall most if the game but to finally see Fernando Torres score such an important goal made me ecstatic, definitely his most important goal for us. I was gutted when they git back in with a one and I have to admit I thought we had f**ked it. But Ivan saved the day in the final moments with a stunning header, that was it I thought but my heart was in my mouth when Benfica had that chance in the final seconds, thank god for Gary Cahill. Such an important win, I'm sure it's gonna lead to great things.
That's my top 5 ranked from best to well still amazing but not as good as the one above it
I do want to add though that the league cup win over Arsenal in 2007 would definitely have been fifth as of all the games listed it was probably the best football match of the lot and Drogba's headed winner is one of the best cup final goals ever. I always love a win over Arsenal and this was one of the most special but the Europa League win just pips this for me.
I know i must've watched it but I think I had "baby brain" (three children under 7) and it is a complete gap in my memory - I do sort've remember waking up the next day thinking - we won! but can't remember the match at all. Maybe I had a really good night.....