Top TV Theme Songs

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brian M
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Manimal, I particularly remember an episode where he turned into a snake to pull someone out of quick sand. I also remember thinking it was fabulous special effets for its time but there is every chance it was actually terrible.

 
Heard of it as a kid Mak? I was just a mere youth watching it..

It wasn't a big show was it Loz, and wasn't on here that long, but remember being amazed at the effects and was alot different from the 'super car/bike/helicopter shows'.

 
Heard of it as a kid Mak? I was just a mere youth watching it...
What's so surprising about that? I was a kid in the 80s.
300.gif


 
Heard of it as a kid Mak? I was just a mere youth watching it..It wasn't a big show was it Loz, and wasn't on here that long, but remember being amazed at the effects and was alot different from the 'super car/bike/helicopter shows'.
I don't think it was on for long, maybe just one series but I remember being glued to it.

 
In no particular order: FTroop, Welcome back Kotter, Rockford Files & My Favourite Martian

 
Brian, thank for putting in the Young Ones, can't believe that it took 4 pages to get it in here. In fact, I can't believe that I didn't put it in there in my first posting!

 
Ok, now for something completely different:

[youtube:5cudhd7c]

[/youtube:5cudhd7c]
happy0034.gif


 
[youtube:3iuqz1yz]
There's a film being made of this great kids sci-fi trilogy, by Aussie Gregor Jordan. (Co-written by Alex Proyas of Dark City fame)

PS: Mak, can you explain that last clip? The first part looks fantastic! Really well directed / shot. And looks to be set in the middle ages. Possibly against the back drop of the plague? But then it cuts into a dodgy looking Grey's Anatomy! What the...
300.gif


 
Mak, can you explain that last clip? The first part looks fantastic! Really well directed / shot. And looks to be set in the middle ages. Possibly against the back drop of the plague? But then it cuts into a dodgy looking Grey's Anatomy! What the...
300.gif
That's Lars Von Trier's "Riget" or "Kingdom" in English. To really simplify it, I'd say it's a bit like a hospital drama meets Twin Peaks. If that makes any sense.
icon_lol.gif


I mean, it's got this pretty eerie atmosphear and there are some pretty weird things happening at the hospital. It's this weird mix of drama and some fantasy elements. I don't mean fantasy, as in goblins and elves, but in the sense that it's got some (possibly) supernatural elements to it.

Here's an English translation of the voice over in the first part of the intro:

The Kingdom Hospital rests on ancient marshlandwhere the bleaching ponds once lay.

Here the bleachers moistened their great spans of cloth.

The steam evaporating from the wet cloth

shrouded the place in permanent fog.

Centuries later the hospital was built here.

The bleachers gave way to doctors and researchers,

the best brains in the nation and the most perfect technology.

To crown their work they called the hospital The Kingdom.

Now life was to be charted, and ignorance and superstition

never to shake the bastions of science again.

Perhaps their arrogance became too pronounced,

and their persistent denial of the spiritual.

For it is as if the cold and damp have returned.

Tiny signs of fatigue are appearing in the solid, modern edifice.

No living person knows it yet, but the gateway to the Kingdom

is opening once again.
I didn't translate it myself, but the person who uploaded the intro to youtube had provided the translation so it's quite probably from the English dvd subtitles.
317.gif


I think the second half of the intro is a piss-take on intros of dodgy hospital dramas. Well that's how I see it anyway.
431.gif


 
You're right about the 2nd half of the titles. Very badly done. But, heck of an interesting premise. And with a cool undercurrent - thematically - of the divine, the spiritual, seeping through the cracks of the flawed modern gods of science. Nice.

You should definitely send a copy to Loz Nietzsche. Though I don't think he understands how to spell spiritual let alone comprehend that there could be something greater than himself in this big old cosmos...
smack_head.gif


 
You're right about the 2nd half of the titles. Very badly done.
Or if that's the look they were going for, then I'd say it was very well done. I mean, if they wanted it to look like a bad cheapo hospital series, I'd say they were very succesful!
icon_lol.gif


Knowing Von Trier, I'd say the look is very intentional and he probably wanted it to bring in some shock effect to the intro. I think he wanted to play with the audience a bit. Let the audience know that they can expect almost anything from now on. And then Von Trier appears at the end of each episode in this sort of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" kind of way to comment the story to really make sure you wouldn't think it's any old hospital series.
icon_lol.gif


 
You're right about the 2nd half of the titles. Very badly done.
Or if that's the look they were going for, then I'd say it was very well done. I mean, if they wanted it to look like a bad cheapo hospital series, I'd say they were very succesful!
icon_lol.gif


Knowing Von Trier, I'd say the look is very intentional and he probably wanted it to bring in some shock effect to the intro. I think he wanted to play with the audience a bit. Let the audience know that they can expect almost anything from now on. And then Von Trier appears at the end of each episode in this sort of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" kind of way to comment the story to really make sure you wouldn't think it's any old hospital series.
icon_lol.gif
The only thing you know you're going to get from Von Trier is nudie bits! I suspect he was raised on the same island as Peter Greenaway...
icon_wink.gif


(an island I'd quite like to visit, mind you!)
icon_lol.gif


 
The only thing you know you're going to get from Von Trier is nudie bits! I suspect he was raised on the same island as Peter Greenaway...
icon_wink.gif
(an island I'd quite like to visit, mind you!)
icon_lol.gif
Actually...I think Lars Von Trier's parents are nudists or at least were when Lars was growing up. I remember reading something about that.
icon_lol.gif


 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top