Where will the next generation Chelsea fan come from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football at the top is no longer a working mans game. So the smaller teams will start getting the support.
I can see this becoming a factor.

Don't know if anyone saw, but Leyton Orient are offering free  season tickets to under 18s and students.

Who's too say in 10 years time they won't have a reasonably good following?

 
I can see this becoming a factor.

Don't know if anyone saw, but Leyton Orient are offering free  season tickets to under 18s and students.

Who's too say in 10 years time they won't have a reasonably good following?
That's a smart move on their part if they aren't selling out their matches.

Chances are those going along for free will be with someone over 18 who will have had to pay for their ticket. Once you are at the ground chances are you spend some money on food/drink/merchandise so they will get some revenue even if they are letting people in for free.

It's things like this or "kids of quid" that need to happen to allow fans who don't have massive amounts of disposable income to attend matches. 

 
Also the more following a smaller team get the more money they get in the door and thus become bigger if managed right.

 
Also the more following a smaller team get the more money they get in the door and thus become bigger if managed right.
And then hike up their prices to reflect their newly achieved higher status, pricing out the loyal fans who got them there in doing so.

The move needs to come from the top.

 
German holiday makers are well known to get up early on holiday and put their towels on sun loungers by the hotel pool, in an effort to reserve them. That's the joke Zola!
Thank you for letting me know.

That's a great idea by the way, typical Germans!

 
I hope we are not hearing the old story of .." the expense is driving the real fans away"..Yes we are expensive...Are all our OLD fans poor then....I hate to use this but....If West Ham, Spurs, well any other team  had a 42000 max, they would fill it...They would fill it with noisy fans..They would fill it with old and new fans that would integrate to make home matches reasonably good.....I cant really understand our home lot really...Weve heard all the theorys..Ive given plenty myself, but, at the end of the day i scratch my balding pate in frustration

 
I hope we are not hearing the old story of .." the expense is driving the real fans away"..Yes we are expensive...Are all our OLD fans poor then....I hate to use this but....If West Ham, Spurs, well any other team  had a 42000 max, they would fill it...They would fill it with noisy fans..They would fill it with old and new fans that would integrate to make home matches reasonably good.....I cant really understand our home lot really...Weve heard all the theorys..Ive given plenty myself, but, at the end of the day i scratch my balding pate in frustration
To be honest I think a lot of it is down to the type of fans who go to matches. We are much more of a 'branded' club now than we were and obviously it affects the kind of fans we have location wise. For example I was sat in the East Upper for the Rubin Kazan game a few weeks ago, and I was sat next to three Rubin Kazan fans, several Asian fans and 3 whole rows of Spanish people. A lot of them don't sing as they might not even know the chants or speak English for all we know, and when a large group don't chant neither do the minority, and personally I probably wouldn't have the balls to try and get a chant going all by myself. It's a knock-on-effect.

For whatever reason more English fans sit in the MH and the Shed (probably because tickets are marginally cheaper) and thus there is a better atmosphere. I mean I'm all for new fans even if they are from foreign countries, but unfortunately (generally speaking) it seems to have a negative effect on the atmosphere of home games.

Also, just to clarify, I'm not saying that all fans from outside the UK are like this because I'm not that ignorant, but from my experience it seems that there are more foreign fans that do not sing that foreign fans who do sing. It's just too expensive, and as people have mentioned it's stopping people from being able to go to games.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree with them saying we lack youth at Chelsea games. See plenty of young groups at away games, might be a different story for home games though. Most of the lads I know, myself included, only do away games. Better atmosphere and always a great laugh. As for the foreigners; I come from Norway myself, but live in England and done 35 + games this season, including trips to Donetsk and Prague. Chelsea away, I f*cking love it.

United on Sunday, let's sing our hearts out.

 

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top