Who Introduced you to music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is all too spooky for words.

Lofty and BB - YOU ARE ME!

 
Something I'd forgotten ... around 1969 Woollies were having a massive sale on LPs for as little as 25p a piece, as I recall. And among those sale items were albums by ...

Otis Redding

Aretha Franklin

Sam & Dave

Joe Tex

Arthur Conley

Wilson Pickett

The Bar-Kays

The Mar-Keys

Rufus Thomas

Carla Thomas

Eddie Floyd

William Bell

Isaac Hayes

The Staple Singers

Booker T & The MG's

For instance.

And albums by just about any Motown artist you care to mention, including lesser known artists like Shorty Long. I had loads of them - Motown, Stax, Atlantic classic albums ... and I sold the lot.

 
. And among those sale items were albums by ...Otis Redding

Aretha Franklin

Sam & Dave

Joe Tex

Arthur Conley

Wilson Pickett

The Bar-Kays

The Mar-Keys

Rufus Thomas

Carla Thomas

Eddie Floyd

William Bell

Isaac Hayes

The Staple Singers

Booker T & The MG's

For instance.

And albums by just about any Motown artist you care to mention, including lesser known artists like Shorty Long. I had loads of them - Motown, Stax, Atlantic classic albums ... and I sold the lot.
Lofty

I do a lot of replacing all of these on vinyl albums these days in charity shops. Mostly 50p or a quid, but watch out for Oxfam because they have some young smart-arses with the latest copy of the Record Buyer's Price Guide, and so they put ridiculous prices on them.

Charity shops is where I get most of my 60's and 70's singles for the jukeboxes these days as well.

Good hunting

Kev

PS - I am desperate for a 7" single of Curtis Mayfield "Move On UP" if you spot one (and yes I do know that there are svereal on e-bay, but not at sensible CS prices!)

 
I've still got a few Stax albums, some of them well scratched, but then it's so rare I play vinyl these days, they take up space as much as anything else. But actually .. almost the entire Stax catalogue, or at least the post Atlantic era Stax stuff is available from EMusic. I joined years ago at a time when you were still allowed unlimited downloads. I've just looked through that list again - can't believe I missed out Johnny Taylor. But there you go. Not Stax I know, but there's a quite wonderful Joe Tex 3-CD set available from Amazon - 60 tracks and not a bad one among them. If you're into stuff like this, for ?7.99 this is possibly the best value you'll ever find.

Doubtful I know, but if I happen to spot a sensibly priced copy of Move on Up, I'll let you know.

 
aaaargh just noticed you mentioned ebay ones already!! Sorry

 
Not a problem Loz and thank you for such diligent research, presented in a reasonable way. I'm thinking about the third one because that has the full album version across two sides, rather than Move On Up and a different B-side.

Cheers again

Kev

 
Just had a look on e-Bay - Otis Redding & Jimi Hendrix at Monterey - vinyl - it's a Froggy copy, but might be worth a punt.
RESULT!!!
Great, hope it's in good nick!
icon_cool.gif


 
My mum always had a great taste in music, and she always had mix tapes for her car. Mainly 60's stuff like the beatles, kinks, Stones, WHo, troggs, manfred man, etc. I also had a family friend who was in the band honeybus who did the single "can't let maggie go" and he was huge into Buddy Hollly and Elvis,et all of that era.

STumbled into a lot of music from there myself, the Beatles led me to Sabbath (Ozzy said he admired the beatles) who led me to Led Zepplin, and from there a whole host of other bands.

I also had a cousin who was into his "metal" in the 80's, and seeing as he was from the big city of Edinburgh I thought it must be cool. He introduced me to ACDC, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Van Halen etc. SOme of whom I never cared for but still listen to old metallica now and again and most def ACDC.

On my own hunch I also bought "never mind the bo**ocks' and loved it. I instanlly devoured the late 70 era of music, and I still feel it is some of the best music in recent times. Clash, Damned, Ian Dury, Buzzcocks, Stiff Little Fingers, the COrtinas, etc all became instant additions to my Vinyll collection (some rare stuff I have too, including a 1st day press of NMTB with "submission" added as a single as it wasn't on the original press.) The clash then turns you on to reggae, adn raggae into some hip hop (old school stuff, and jazz infused stuff I liked best....tribe called quest, jurrasic 5, Digable planets)

Then pretty much for teh past 15 years, I have been on a quest to find new bands, and then instanly hating them when they got big...mostly.

Scott

 
The biggest influence on me was an older friend that I looked up to - he was a couple of years older - who introduced me to Bowie and the like when I was about 9 or 10. My parents were into Sinatra and Dean Martin etc - not much of an influence really, more a cue to leave the room!

Thinking about this now, my kids are 15 and 17 and one has picked up on my love of The Clash, XTC and more recent bands like the Flaming Lips and Super Furry Animals, and the other (the younger one) is into the earlier stuff I've amassed over the years - Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, John Lee Hooker, etc. I'm always dipping into stuff they're listening to, the latest being Good Shoes, so we kind of keep each other going.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top