who is England's biggest rival?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MannyJello

In the Ressies
Messages
431
Reaction score
0
there are some footballing countries who have natural international rivalries -- Brazil/Argentina, Germany/Holland -- also, my home country has a natural and nasty rivalry with Mexico.

just curious -- which country do Englanders believe to be their biggest rival? would it be France?

 
I think Portugal might not be too popular in England.
icon_lol.gif


 
Has to be Scotland. It certainly is England from the Scottish point of view.

 
I think Germany after 1966 and then the 1/4 final in 1970 and the semi at Italia 90 (and those matches in 1914-18 and 1939-45)

(Scotland would like it to be them but I don't think it is for the English)

 
Everyone, us against the world.
icon_wink.gif


I'd like to make a joke about Scotland being our Fulham - not on our level, too small time to concern ourselves, won’t challenge us in any way... but we'll both be watching the same tournament this Summer on the same flipping sofas
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif


Germany, Franch, Britain, Argentina, Portugal... list is endless.

 
What about Ireland? From Euro 88 to the nineties it used to be really bad. Interestingly we haven't played them since.

 
I am a traditionalist when it comes to this sort of thing (which is why I don't see Liverpool as our biggest rival). Therefore I choose Scotland. The only downside to it is that Scotland beating us is total disaster whereas us beating Scotland is no more than expected so we don't ge the same degree of bragging rights!

 
My guess is Scotland. Has to be them surely.

Everyone, us against the world.
icon_wink.gif
I'd like to make a joke about Scotland being our Fulham
I think Argentina might see England that way too. Nowadays England should be in a category with the likes of... Belgium, Australia and Norway. Or at least under McClaren you should have been.

 
As a Scotsman, I think it means more to us than it would to the English! I do think we are rivals, but not as "nasty" as the Arrgies or the Gerries!

For me, and this is a perception from the non-English...I'd say

1. Germany

2. Argentina

3. Scotland

If you want to know about Scotland's biggets rivalry:

1. England

2. England

3. England

Scott

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top