Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Chelsea (PL) Sun 25th Aug 24 14:00 GMT

I hate being this person but I’m gonna have to be. We should have scored 10.

They maybe should have had 5 but, when we actually need clinical finishing in the tight games that is what will let us down.

Fantastic second half honestly has made my day though.
I think you're right - Madueke himself could have got another 3 if he'd have been played in by Felix.

 
It is very difficult game to analyze because when you score everytime you attack, everything looks good.

Positive 

Our attack was fine here, was fine vs city. But being clinical make everything looks very good. 


Some similar pattern of play vs city, slightly different setup with diamond  midfield. I like involving gk in the build up because it give you advantage but finding gk who is very good on the ball and good at gk stuff is hard. 

Madueke 

Madueke was very good at the back end of last season and he continue his good work. Is he still for sale? 😂😂😂

Colwill

I thought Colwill had a very good game. Colwill had problem dueling last season, not suprised he get better. He was 20.

Cueva 

I like our set pieces setup better this season. 

Negative

It is pretty much the same as last season and vs city. 

Set pieces defense

The way our player defended set pieces was criminal. So bad, same as last season. 

Transition defense (worse than last season) 

When we score or get something everytime we attack as we did in this game, everything looks good, but when we didn't, it was a nightmare. 

Long ball+2nd ball

This is how team attacked us last season and this is how wolves attacked us. Long ball, 2nd ball, easy money. 

Gusto 

Gusto is very good technically for a fb but defensively he is questionable. Nothing new, same as last season. 

Caicedo was horrific but he played 2, 90 minutes game. I think the plan is to play Lavia here but he is injured. 

Mudyrk was not great and bringing neto improved the team. 🫣🫣

 
It is very difficult game to analyze because when you score everytime you attack, everything looks good.

Positive 

Our attack was fine here, was fine vs city. But being clinical make everything looks very good. 


Some similar pattern of play vs city, slightly different setup with diamond  midfield. I like involving gk in the build up because it give you advantage but finding gk who is very good on the ball and good at gk stuff is hard. 

Madueke 

Madueke was very good at the back end of last season and he continue his good work. Is he still for sale? 😂😂😂

Colwill

I thought Colwill had a very good game. Colwill had problem dueling last season, not suprised he get better. He was 20.

Cueva 

I like our set pieces setup better this season. 

Negative

It is pretty much the same as last season and vs city. 

Set pieces defense

The way our player defended set pieces was criminal. So bad, same as last season. 

Transition defense (worse than last season) 

When we score or get something everytime we attack as we did in this game, everything looks good, but when we didn't, it was a nightmare. 

Long ball+2nd ball

This is how team attacked us last season and this is how wolves attacked us. Long ball, 2nd ball, easy money. 

Gusto 

Gusto is very good technically for a fb but defensively he is questionable. Nothing new, same as last season. 

Caicedo was horrific but he played 2, 90 minutes game. I think the plan is to play Lavia here but he is injured. 

Mudyrk was not great and bringing neto improved the team. 🫣🫣
Agree here. The players look so lost defending the transition. I do wonder if that is partially due to a lack of leadership (you need players behind you to tell you who to pick up) and adjustment to systems. It's the sort of thing that gets better with experience. Look at us under Lampard with and without Thiago Silva (apart from his first game, lol). 

Disagree on Gusto, he is a very, very good 1v1 defender but like the others gets lost in defending the transition and picking up runners.

The xG as it's a bit conservative for this game; most shots from Palmer's and Felix's positions would be pot-shots but theirs were very clear chances, and Madueke's chances of scoring are way above the average because of the quality of the pass and his ability to use his left foot as well. However, it is a clear lesson that being clinical covers all manner of sins.

 
No fluke but they lost Kilman to West Ham and that Arti Nouri guy, who I think should have been sent off, simply couldn't handle Madueke.

And Maresca made some good changes - we've got some real talent
O'Neill referenced a lack of LB during his presser. My thoughts at the time was that they must have been inverting Ait Nouri because that area was completely vacant. In fairness we probably could have scored another 3 goals during that period.

 
Do people who post live commentary here, read their idiotic comments later? They should so that they could improve just like the 2nd half performance by the boys! 
Fair point although I do stand by the points that I made that Caicedo was horrendous during that first half and the team had no concept of defending whatsoever.  I do think we improved defensively, by not dwelling on the ball in midfield but I am not sure that because our attack was so devastating if it took away focus on the defensive side.

Also I have said it since Maresca arrived, that Mudryk is the most at risk player and he proved it again yesterday. If we are to keep him he has to go on loan to a more forgiving league.

 
Agree here. The players look so lost defending the transition. I do wonder if that is partially due to a lack of leadership (you need players behind you to tell you who to pick up) and adjustment to systems. It's the sort of thing that gets better with experience. Look at us under Lampard with and without Thiago Silva (apart from his first game, lol). 

Disagree on Gusto, he is a very, very good 1v1 defender but like the others gets lost in defending the transition and picking up runners.

The xG as it's a bit conservative for this game; most shots from Palmer's and Felix's positions would be pot-shots but theirs were very clear chances, and Madueke's chances of scoring are way above the average because of the quality of the pass and his ability to use his left foot as well. However, it is a clear lesson that being clinical covers all manner of sins.
It was basically 3 cb with Caicedo as dm plus gusto and enzo next to him. Caicedo is good but not great at defending transition. Enzo is 🤐🤐.

It is nothing new, same as last season. We had Gallagher last season doing a lot of running to cover, Palmer won't do this and we don't want him to do this. 

I am not going to debate whether our chances is better/worse than what the xG say because it is a slippery slope. But being clinical make everything very easy. Not only you score but you can't get countered. 

 
Btw talking about how finishing can change be people opinion, if Wolves were more clinical and we didn't. It could have been 5-0 in the 1st half, wolves would sit back and it could get even get uglier and all of us will be talking about whether Maresca is even a coach at this level and whether his tactic is suicidal. 

Even though imo our performance was kinda similar vs city. We were fine offensively but had many many problems defensively

 
Gusto stood out a lot last season as he got down the right side and put in decent crosses, don't think he can do that with Madueke playing on the right or maybe it needs more work between the two of them.

Nice to see Felix on the score sheet and hopefully now he is a CFC player rather than on loan he will be more productive for us and a nice cross from Neto.

I liked the little of saw of KDH his movement looked very clever.

Yesterday reminded me of Villa away in the FA Cup not on style yet we looked quite fired up in a feisty match,

 
Lots of positives and some negatives with yesterday’s performance but it’s been a long time since I’ve felt so happy with our weekend performance.  Forgot what it was like to constantly run through the match in my head and feel that feeling of joy.  Hopefully this ain’t a one off and we can continue to improve.  
I know it’s early days and to not get carried away.  Feeling a lot better about the team.

 
I just feel happy today 

I haven’t t felt this happy for a bit with Chels  only 3 times last year spurs twice Utd once 

I feel over the last two years we would never have scored 6 like yesterday against a team mid table ish . I was at the stage of fearing every team we played all but the last 6/7 weeks of Poch I started to think we might win but under potter and the first 5 months of Poch I expected defeat against whoever we played 

Its made a lovely change I totally get our defence isn’t right and Enzo isn’t what I wanted him to be in midfield but I feel positive under the manager and we dont have a bad run to come

 
Btw talking about how finishing can change be people opinion, if Wolves were more clinical and we didn't. It could have been 5-0 in the 1st half, wolves would sit back and it could get even get uglier and all of us will be talking about whether Maresca is even a coach at this level and whether his tactic is suicidal. 
rsz_eeyore61_5881_5847.jpg


 
Back
Top