Wolves v Chelsea (PL) Tue 15th Dec 2020 18:00 GMT

Not a chance did we deserve a draw. We bent over and presented our arses for them to firmly rogered as soon as we went one up. It was awful. 

Wolves fully deserved that win. As soon as they upped their game our midfield bar Kante stopped playing and even he was loose with  possession on too many occasions. 

Havertz and Kovacic offered nothing other than encouraging Wolves to think they could win it. 

Werner either has to be in the centre or be on the bench. It's pointless starting him as a wide player. I'd rather we shoved a winger from the youth team on than watch Werner look look like a St Mirren reserve. 
I would have thought that having lived in Scotland for so long would have made you used to defeat?

Disagree on Kova?i? - I think he moved and showed for the ball with more purpose once he came on. Not saying much I suppose considering the alternative was our plague-stricken Teuton, who would sooner hug a Tottenham fan than crack a smile.

I did hear someone say that Werner should play through the middle, if for no other reason than his touch is so bad that it should be the last one of any play we make.

At this point, I am simply hoping that Super Frank will demonstrate what he did in every other part of his career: an indifferent start, followed by an improbable rise to world class based on work rate and charisma (and later, experience) alone.

 
The players didn't lose the ability to win and manage a game so effectively overnight.  Fatigue, injuries, lack of width, players out of position, away games, mistakes, punished mistakes - they all contribute.  The level of the team has collectively dropped.  It is so frustrating to watch as post Newcastle and Sheff Utd it started to feel like we were building something.

It has been said in this thread many times, but perhaps 4-3-3 is not the way to go without wingers.  I am also a believer that we are slowly diminishing any confidence two high flying Germans had by playing them out of position.  Without width our midfield has lost passing options, and its just all a little predictable.  Also, Jose gave the league a perfect blueprint/reminder on how to defend against Chelsea - the low block.

We're in a self-inflicted rut by some poor management and mistakes.  Time for some accountability and correction.  We are much better than what we just saw, much much better.  I expect immediate improvement, and we have to resolve this issue with wingers constantly being unavailable.  It will disrupt any sense of rhythm. 

 
The players didn't lose the ability to win and manage a game so effectively overnight.  Fatigue, injuries, lack of width, players out of position, away games, mistakes, punished mistakes - they all contribute.  The level of the team has collectively dropped.  It is so frustrating to watch as post Newcastle and Sheff Utd it started to feel like we were building something.

It has been said in this thread many times, but perhaps 4-3-3 is not the way to go without wingers.  I am also a believer that we are slowly diminishing any confidence two high flying Germans had by playing them out of position.  Without width our midfield has lost passing options, and its just all a little predictable.  Also, Jose gave the league a perfect blueprint/reminder on how to defend against Chelsea - the low block.

We're in a self-inflicted rut by some poor management and mistakes.  Time for some accountability and correction.  We are much better than what we just saw, much much better.  I expect immediate improvement, and we have to resolve this issue with wingers constantly being unavailable.  It will disrupt any sense of rhythm. 
This is all true. We should also give some credit to Espiritu Santo, he read us like a book.

Wolves knew how we were going to play and they defended well and as time was passing by it felt like we were getting beaten, I hoped for that 1:0 narrow win but I knew that we scored out of nothing, that was our first shot on target and it went in and sadly it was just too many minutes left to be played...

I think that Lampard is really smart, so I expect that we change our way of attacking in the very next game.

If he does prepare the team well for the next match we will end up letting out all of the frustration from these loses onto West Ham  :laugh2:

 
Literally I have no idea how to describe today's performance. Let's say it was even worse than on Saturday...

Although the defence is looking sloppy again (even Chilwell and Silva had a bad game) the main concern is creating chances. Pulisic was good in the first half, but when switched to right wing he completely disappeared from the game. As for Werner's position I think we can all agree that Frank has made a mistake. Havertz was poor again, he just doesn't seem to be physically strong enough in my opinion.

The midfielders were uninspired to say the least (credits to Kante who did a great job defensively again). And the problem is, as someone had mentioned earlier, an actual lack of rotation at those positions. Barkley/RLC could sometimes come up with something when subbed in and now we don't have those options. Maybe Jorginho should start the next game because we need some creativity urgently.

It is easy to blame Frank for these two defeats, especially for this one where he should have changed the approach to the game. Anyway a tough few weeks are coming up and we have to get our spirits up as soon as possible. West Ham on Monday is a must win.
Christ I mentioned bringing on Jourinho for the second half last night to add some creativity, and the Lampard Gestapo on here went mental...it's clear it's not working and change needs to happen...whether that ne players, system or managers...

 
Christ I mentioned bringing on Jourinho for the second half last night to add some creativity, and the Lampard Gestapo on here went mental...it's clear it's not working and change needs to happen...whether that ne players, system or managers...
I truly hate it when Managers & Coaches, say, "the squad is tired" or "we are suffering from fatigue" but without being biased, I think it is true of Chelsea. Frank hit upon a winning formula that served us well for 15/16 games, but you cannot continually pick the same XI without something failing. Great Managers know when to pick players, when to drop them, how to spot the signs of burnout etc and Frank has still yet to learn this skill, he is literally flogging a dead horse !!

We have had some injuries, arguably to the two most creative players in the squad, Pulisic and Zyech, as well as CHO out, Chilwell missed a couple, Kante too but nothing on the scale of Liverpool and City injuries. Therefore it genuinely may be fatigue of players like Mount, Werner, Havertz, Kante, James and Silva that is to blame for the dip in form. We obviously can't rotate them all at once, but with Giroud, fresh and scoring, and Tammy waiting, Werner should be given a break. Havertz has not looked fit all season and is a shadow of the player we signed, so rest/drop him. 

Then we are left with the "Frank is unquestionable" argument over who else to drop and who to bring in. I'm not getting involved in that, save to say that we have a top quality squad, with loads of experience in players who are probably champing at the bit to be given a start, it is 100% up to Frank to choose the who and when.

 
Go to Britain and get yourself a fry up. It's my favourite meal....proper bacon not American "bacon"... a side note. We tend to prefer Danish bacon to British bacon, Irish sausage, any eggs as long as they are fried. Most of an English breakfast is foreign but we made it and it's to die for
A fry-up is especially good when slightly hung over. It's definitely not good when massively hung-over, I've tried and had an intimate one-on-one with the toilet bowl shortly afterwards.

 
I didn’t see last nights game but the board tells the tale of the tape.

The worrying thing is there doesn’t seem to be an alternative to a FL team set up in FL’s head at the minute - big man up front and width at all costs ? Which is fine when all the width is available and functioning, but when it ain’t - what’s plan B ? It’s evident that just giving a player a bib that says ‘winger’ or ‘centre forward’ doesn’t necessarily make him so.

Personally been advocating going 3 at the back with the recent run of results and performances.  with James, Chilwell, Azpi and Alonso giving the width in this particular moment because currently our team formation/selection is soooo predictable and opposition managers must be praying that Havertz gets picked because, frankly, he’s been appalling - the number of under hit passes v Everton were embarrassing for a professional footballer - it’s very near to playing with only 10 v 11.

I’m beginning to wonder if we miss that ‘Chelsea man’ type of player in the team ?  - the sort who love the club, genuinely kiss the badge and would run through plate glass for the cause - aka Terry, Lampard,Azpi ? Silva it isn’t.

Maybe Azpi offers more than just the game he plays ? I think we need a leader on the pitch firing a few f**ks into people, leading by example and reminding them what it means to be playing for Chelsea imo.

Someone told me last night that Havertz and Werner were Angela Merkel’s and the German nations revenge for Brexit -  I would have laughed if it wasn’t so ridiculously close to being true !!

 
Seconded. What is it with this guy's use of "Gestapo", yesterday there was calling Lampard "Führer". It's too stupidly insensitive for words. 
He's made a few sly comments like that, almost as if he's loving the fact that Lampard is losing games now. Strangely, I've never seen this guy post before until after that defeat against Everton, now he's back again. Same with many others, same old story, as soon as we lose these people come out of the woodwork. 

I'm not saying you have to be a regular here, but make it a bit less obvious please... 

 
I didn’t see last nights game but the board tells the tale of the tape.

The worrying thing is there doesn’t seem to be an alternative to a FL team set up in FL’s head at the minute - big man up front and width at all costs ? Which is fine when all the width is available and functioning, but when it ain’t - what’s plan B ? It’s evident that just giving a player a bib that says ‘winger’ or ‘centre forward’ doesn’t necessarily make him so.

Personally been advocating going 3 at the back with the recent run of results and performances.  with James, Chilwell, Azpi and Alonso giving the width in this particular moment because currently our team formation/selection is soooo predictable and opposition managers must be praying that Havertz gets picked because, frankly, he’s been appalling - the number of under hit passes v Everton were embarrassing for a professional footballer - it’s very near to playing with only 10 v 11.

I’m beginning to wonder if we miss that ‘Chelsea man’ type of player in the team ?  - the sort who love the club, genuinely kiss the badge and would run through plate glass for the cause - aka Terry, Lampard,Azpi ? Silva it isn’t.

Maybe Azpi offers more than just the game he plays ? I think we need a leader on the pitch firing a few f**ks into people, leading by example and reminding them what it means to be playing for Chelsea imo.

Someone told me last night that Havertz and Werner were Angela Merkel’s and the German nations revenge for Brexit -  I would have laughed if it wasn’t so ridiculously close to being true !!
The Azpi situation is weird, suspect something happening outside the game.

Mount is normally the one to run through the plate glass, thought he tried that at Everton and didn't come off and yesterday was a game too many too close together. 

Mount should have recovered by the time we face WHU yet Frank has some decisions to make on personnel and systems, stick or twist to get us moving forwards again. 

 
A Software Engineer is a very lazy job, luckily (or unluckily for me) I have to go to my office still, even during COVID. So, I've never really got the benefits, people who stay at home though, do usually become quite lazy and easily distracted. 
I thought software engineers normally had remote access to systems so they could often work from home.

I always liked going in too many distractions at home ?

 
Seconded. What is it with this guy's use of "Gestapo", yesterday there was calling Lampard "Führer". It's too stupidly insensitive for words. 
It's sly xenophobia creeping in since the German players arrived - they're trying not be too obvious about it.

 
It's sly xenophobia creeping in since the German players arrived - they're trying not be too obvious about it.
It's your Teutonic inference that is interesting (and worrying)...mind you it's usual to see snowflakes like you at Christmas 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's your Teutonic inference that is interesting (and worrying)...mind you it's usual to see snowflakes like you at Christmas 


My Teutonic inference of the words 'Gestapo' and 'Fuhrer'?

Clearly not a doctor of language.

It's more usual to see xenophobes resorting to insults at any time of year.

 
Back
Top