World Cup 2014 - Day 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been very critical of England over the last couple of days on here, but I'm about to go again.

Nigeria just showed England how to manage the game. I know they got some luck like the offside goal and the Dzeko miss at the end. However, Nigeria were pretty comfortable against a side who many regarded as better than them.
Maybe Nigeria has a better gaffa. Keshi did lead The Super Eagles to the ACN Title. Also in 2006 he got Togo into the WC, but freakin' Adebayor complained about Keshi to the federation & they dumped him.

 
Maybe Nigeria has a better gaffa. Keshi did lead The Super Eagles to the ACN Title. Also in 2006 he got Togo into the WC, but freakin' Adebayor complained about Keshi to the federation & they dumped him.
They do, that's my point...I think.I also think they have a better football culture (well since Keshi took charge).

I didn't know he was the man who led Togo to qualification. That's pretty impressive as , you know, it's Togo aha. I've rated him since I first saw how his team played in AFCON 2013. Also I think his style and the way he runs the team is extremely refreshing and positive for an African side.

In many respects he is like the original Pan-Africanists of post independence like Nyerere and Nkrumah. He has re installed pride in Nigerian ethics and identity through selecting domestic players and sends a message 'hey we can do it, why not compete.'

I also think they have a nice balance of respecting those who are weaker than them and not being fearful than those that are worse than them. Like in 2013 when they beat Ivory Coast. The Nigerian philosophy was you may have the better players but we'll prove we have the better team.

Nigeria are now in good shape for tournaments for the foreseeable future as Keshi has built a culture reliant on the system opposed to some stars.

Nigeria may still go out as Iran have proved they are no mugs. But from an English perspective, when you look at the progress of France and Nigeria when they had comical WC 2010 campaigns, it is disappointing when you compare our progress.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Their striker had a bad night, but how good were B&H midfield 3, Pjanic easily the best Midfielder I have seen at this WC, and that young lad so much energy, unlucky but fabulous to watch. wonder if we can trade with Roma for Pjanic..

 
Their striker had a bad night, but how good were B&H midfield 3, Pjanic easily the best Midfielder I have seen at this WC, and that young lad so much energy, unlucky but fabulous to watch. wonder if we can trade with Roma for Pjanic..
I thought for all their craft and technique they were some what disappointing. They are a better team to Nigeria in terms of player quality but Nigeria were tactically ahead of them and made Bosnia lose their way in what should have been a winnable game.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bizarrely Belgium don't seem to pass the ball to hazard very much...in saying that he's not exactly busting a gut to find space...for all their talent, I have seen Belgium for 135 mins so far and they have been a big disappointment...they play so slowly...surely the coach wants the talent he has to play with pace...they showed how dangerous that can be for second goal against Algeria the other day

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure Hazard could have got to that ball instead of stopping and appealing.

 
I thought for all their craft and technique they were some what disappointing. They are a better team to Nigeria in terms of player quality but Nigeria were tactically ahead of them and made Bosnia lose their way in what should have been a winnable game.
TBH Dzeko's goal should have counted & there could have been a different result in that match. Also Begovic had an awesome match. He had the most saves in one match for a GK in this WC. I saw him up close & personal during my only trip to the Bridge. Dude made many saves in that match too. It took a 90 yard run from Ashley Cole to get us the 'W' that day. IMHO Begovic is an under-rated World Class Keeper.

 
I can't think why I looked forward to seeing Belgium play at the World Cup. They're sloppy and ineffective and dull.

Edit: oops, it's day 11 already. We have a newly created thread by a birthday boy for today!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top