World Cup - Match day 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonblue

Chilled out entertainer
Messages
1,469
Reaction score
44
5:00 PM  - Germany v Portugal

8:00 PM - Iran v Nigeria

11:00 PM - Ghana v USA

Im going for a Germany/Nigeria/Ghana treble but if Ronaldo is on form the Portuguese could surprise us

 
First game will hopefully be a cracker, Mikel is probably going to play like Yaya Toure as he always does when not playing for us.

 
Come on Germany! Win me some money, Schurrle to bag a hattrick.

 
I want a Germany win, i can't stand watching Ronaldo make it all about him again like he did in the Euro's.

 
Germany and Portugal will be a draw I think, 1-1. 

Germany are apparently lining up with a false 9 of either Gotze or Muller, so that should be interesting. 

No Schurrle though which is disappointing considering his good goal scoring form for the national team. 

Nigeria to batter Iran 4-0 with all goals coming from the greatest player to ever grace a football John Obi Mikel.

Ghana Vs USA could be a close game but I fancy Ghana to sneak a 1-0 win. 

 
Got a few players in my fantasy team on display here (Ronaldo, Mertesacker and Klose who is on the bench for Germany)

Hopefully can earn me some more points. 

Selecting Colombia's David Ospina in goal has proved to be a master stroke - 11 points and a clean sheet the other day

 
For personal reasons (because of the Bosnian national team), I am hoping Nigeria and Iran have the first goalless draw of the Cup today.

I also hope my former country of residence, USA, can pull off a win. They play attractive football and I do hope they get at least a win ahead of the tough fixtures they have coming up.

And last but not least, Germany, for too many reasons to name... okay, I'll name the biggest - Ronaldo!

I hope Klose can get a few goals too to break that record.

Cheers!

 
I think Portugal will pull a surprise today and win 2-0. I think Germany are going to struggle this World Cup.

Nigeria to squeeze a 1-0 win as Keshi's side is very conservative.

Ghana v USA will be a good game I think. 2-2 perhaps.

 
I think Portugal will pull a surprise today and win 2-0. I think Germany are going to struggle this World Cup.

Nigeria to squeeze a 1-0 win as Keshi's side is very conservative.

Ghana v USA will be a good game I think. 2-2 perhaps.
What makes you think they'll struggle out of interest?

They've arguably got one of the best midfields in the competition with Muller, Ozil, Gotze, Kroos, Khedira all very comfortable in possession. 

Maybe not the best defense you could hope for but I wouldn't say it's any worse than say Argentina's who are favourites for the competition for a lot of people. 

Only thing I think lets them down is that they've only got Klose as a recognised forward so do they have enough options to change things if plan A isn't working? 

 
As much as i dislike Ronaldo, it's not in me to hope for a German victory. C'mon Portugal!

 
They aren't playing with a proper striker, Looks like a combo of Ozil/Muller/Gotze as the front 3 with Kroos, Lahm and Khedira behind them.

Will be interesting to see how that works out for them and who plays centrally as none of them are wingers either.

Ronaldo tore apart Bayern on the counter in the CL, will be interesting to see how Boateng or Howedes handle him. Neither are exactly quick pacey full backs.

 
Germany have a very strong squad in all positions but in the striking department. Wouldn't be surprised if they make it to the final

 
Portugal: Patricio, Alves, Pepe, Veloso, Coentrao, Ronaldo ©, Moutinho, Almeida, Meireles, Nani, Pereira.
Germany: Neuer, Howedes, Hummels, Khedira, Ozil, Muller, Lahm ©, Mertesacker, Kroos, Gotze, Boateng
 

Is it just me or does that German side have absolutely no width.

Also their centre back is playing left back so that their left back can play centre mid so that their centre mid can play up front. Football in 2014.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or does that German side have absolutely no width.

Also their centre back is playing left back so that their left back can play centre mid so that their centre mid can play up front. Football in 2014.
Barnay Ronay, The Guardian's chief football writer said this about the line up:

"German team looks like Lahm in midfield and gotze or muller playing as a false 9. I think the word is "funky""

Seems to sum it up quite well. 

The Germany side is undeniable full of talent but I guess it's going to remain to be seen if Low can get them playing cohesively. 

 
Raul Meireles with contender for hair of the tournament.

 
I do actually really like the Germany National team but I want Ronaldo to have a great tournament so hoping for a high scoring draw.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top