A Topic About Refs, VAR and PGMOL.

Strange that sliding tackles (even from behind) carry a different logic (so I think).  
Yep - i agree. Although i guess that's because a tackle is a 1 off thing, unlike a pull which can be ongoing over a number of seconds.

 
When you think about it, we are focusing on the ref, when in fact it starts with player's who are cheating. Always gone on of course, I can't believe how ref's have allowed the ridiculous holding and grappling at corners to go on unpunished.

The one that annoys me most is players going down as if poleaxed if his face is touched. Even if it's a "fleeting" touch.!
What came first - the chicken or the egg?

Refs often don't give fouls unless the player goes down. Which in turn makes players go down on purpose even when they could stay on their feet. Players then realised they can fool refs, which they got away with for so long. 

If refs simply gave fouls when it was a clear foul, regardless of if the attacker went down or not, and always punished clear dives, then it would minimise the exaggeration.

 
It's not an automatic foul though. That's not the rules 
The rules clearly state it isn't allowed - and there are no provisions within the rules that make exceptions, concessions or flexibility to this. 

I have posted the exact rules already on this thread....and a link to the FA website.

 
The rules clearly state it isn't allowed - and there are no provisions within the rules that make exceptions, concessions or flexibility to this. 

I have posted the exact rules already on this thread....and a link to the FA website.
No it doesn't.

"Holding an opponent includes the act of preventing him from moving past or a round using the hands, the arms or the body.

Holding is only a foul if it prevents him from moving."

My argument, and the argument of the refs on the day, is that the holding did not completely prevent the player from moving. The player falling to the ground did. 

That's what it means by fleeting. 

Now I think it just about met the threshold of a penalty, but I can see why it didn't meet the threshold to overturn a decision. Because VAR needs to only be used for absolutely clear errors. The ref knew he had been held, he just didn't think it was a big enough hold to prevent the player from moving 

 
No it doesn't.

"Holding an opponent includes the act of preventing him from moving past or a round using the hands, the arms or the body.

Holding is only a foul if it prevents him from moving."

My argument, and the argument of the refs on the day, is that the holding did not completely prevent the player from moving. The player falling to the ground did. 

That's what it means by fleeting. 

Now I think it just about met the threshold of a penalty, but I can see why it didn't meet the threshold to overturn a decision. Because VAR needs to only be used for absolutely clear errors. The ref knew he had been held, he just didn't think it was a big enough hold to prevent the player from moving 
Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 14.27.04.png

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 14.28.14.png

 
Yes. And as I keep saying the ref made the decision that the holding didn't prevent the player from moving. The player threw himself to the ground because he felt a hand on his wrist. He might be wrong. I think he was. Fofana was stupid. 

But it was a judgement call. And VAR didn't feel there was enough evidence to overturn the refs decision. 

 
Christ the games gone soft, how am i seeing arguments that every single slight pull of a shirt or player is a foul. 

You'd be stopping the game at every 50/50 if this is the case. Players gone down far too easily for it to be a foul. 

 




David Coote is finished, no way back for him now..........I did laugh at some of it though. He was spitting a lot of facts 😆

I have no doubt that all refs are like this to some degree, but you have to be an idiot to let somebody record you saying it.

 
8 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:


I don't think it should be the end of his career, end of the day I bet the refs have all had a conversation amongst each other calling Klopp a c**t, unfortunately Coote was stupid enough to say it on camera. If he'd admitted to making dodgy calls on purpose against a team then I think it should be game over, but worst that should happen is he just doesn't ref Liverpool games anymore 

 
Ridiculous a man can have his career taken away from him for having a personal opinion on someone. 

I'd put money on antony Taylor has said a hell of a lot worse about us behind closed doors. 

 
We were all thinking it... 

It's a really tought one, the video is clearly a few years old and I don't like the idea of a career being taken from someone for a moment of stupidity but come on, thats pretty dumb.

Then again Mike dean admited to out and out not doing his job (which may have cost tuchel his job) as a VAR and he's doing pretty well for him self 

 
Ridiculous a man can have his career taken away from him for having a personal opinion on someone. 

I'd put money on antony Taylor has said a hell of a lot worse about us behind closed doors. 
We need a video of Taylor putting money on us to lose.

 
This simply confirms what everyone has always known, referees are human and have thoughts, feelings and opinions.

Seriously, how can anyone believe that anyone can actually like football enough to become a referee without having the same bias that ALL football fans have, or taking umbrage with someone who has a go at you?

He's just an idiot for saying it out loud. Saying that sort of stuff out loud is only for fans, not players, coaches or refs. He'd have been better off just disallowing all their goals.

 
I agree, it's a shame and I hope this doesn't end his career, but I can unfortunately see an argument for dismissal too.

There is no way that refs have unbiased views, opinions etc. But that's where the professional part of their job comes into play. On the field they "should" only see 2 teams and no bias or affiliations. Amongst friends, I don't care if he calls everyone a c**t! Just don't bloody record it ya fkn lemon!

 
Back
Top