Ashley Cole to Real Madrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played the majority of the season with a knock to his ankle that never had time to heal, I think it started to show towards the end of the campaign but overall he was still one of our most consistent performers.
I wasn't suggesting he was bad, by no means. Probably still the best in the EPL, he just showed signs of slowing down. Part of that could have been injury and fatigue. And me pointing out just how one footed he seems is just a small annoyance, but he's still a teriffic player.

 
He's too good to be replaced by anybody at the moment. Eventually van Aanholt and/or Bertrand may develop to be as good as Cole.

 
I am in the minority who think we have two of the best young fullbacks on our books & IMO equally as good as the Da Silva twins. I'd rather we kept both; one as a back-up LB & the other as a back-up RB. In the long run it will be beneficial to the team as I think both if nutured well could form one of the best wingback/winger combo in world football. While one is getting occasional games as a back-up to Ashley, the other is working on his right foot as a backup to Ivanovic. Philip Lahm who IMO is one of the best fullbacks is comfortable on both flanks. This didn't come as a result of long loan spells away from Bayern but being given a chance & trusted by prospective coaches. Mourinho was the last I remember experimenting with Essien in a fullback position & playing Ferreira on the opposite flanks. Fergie has played his Da Silva twins as wingback & Guardiola is confident enought to play Mascherano or Abidal in the centre of defence.

 
It's also a good tactical option. Gallas, Bosingwa and Ferreira have all had great performances at right-back against left-footed forwards, simply because their stronger foot is more likely to prevent said players from cutting inside successfully.

 
I also agree that it would be nice if PVA or Bertrand were developed into a good right back, although that is easier said than done.

 
Pva and bertrand are lb's
I know, that's why I said it would be nice if it turned out that one was able to play on the right hand side as well. I know this isn't a video game where the side of the pitch doesn't matter, which is why I said it would be easier said than done to switch one of them to the other flank, but a man can dream!

 
He played the majority of the season with a knock to his ankle that never had time to heal, I think it started to show towards the end of the campaign but overall he was still one of our most consistent performers.
Yes, consistent is what Ash was last season. Not spectacular, never bad. In terms of defending 1v1 he is still the best in the world. However his touch is average, his crossing is weak and his final ball is rarely accurate. As another poster mentioned, he is heavily reliant on his left foot which makes him less of an attacking force.

If you watch Coentrao play, this guy is very versatile, very skilled in 1v1 attacking situations and penetrating runs, great crosser. He starts attacks and can finish them with great passes. He was also considered the best LB at the World Cup by many.

I think its time to let Ash go. He has personal issues, he has injuries, he is 30. If we could get 25 mil for him we would be crazy not to sell.

Plus, the way this story is shaping up, looks like Real want Maicon desperately which would free up Sergio Ramos. Maybe we send Ash in a straight swap for Ramos, Real signs Maicon to fill their RB position and we sign Coentrao to fill our LB spot.

 
Plus, the way this story is shaping up, looks like Real want Maicon desperately which would free up Sergio Ramos. Maybe we send Ash in a straight swap for Ramos, Real signs Maicon to fill their RB position and we sign Coentrao to fill our LB spot.
I think Maicon's pretty much lost his status as one of the best right backs in the world. He's even back up to Dani Alves for Brazil now. Real would be crazy to swap Ramos for a 30 year old Maicon.

As for Coentrao, he's looked very good going forward whenever I've seen him. But that is to be expected from a player who used to play in attack. Has he ever been really tested defensively though? Just don't really fancy these converted fullbacks tbh.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think Maicon's pretty much lost his status as one of the best right backs in the world. He's even back up to Dani Alves for Brazil now. Real would be crazy to swap Ramos for a 30 year old Maicon.

As for Coentrao, he's looked very good going forward whenever I've seen him. But that is to be expected from a player who used to play in attack. Has he ever been really tested defensively though? Just don't really fancy these converted fullbacks tbh.
How many players are not converted fullbacks?

Evra, Cole, Maicon and Alves all played in midfield and were converted to fullback.

 
How many players are not converted fullbacks?

Evra, Cole, Maicon and Alves all played in midfield and were converted to fullback.
Haha, I may need to rethink my logic then. Of course, lots of players change position in their youth. But I'm not sure if any of those were still playing higher up as late as Coentrao. Maybe I'm wrong though.

 
To be fair, Maicon has looked a shadow of himself ever since Bale gave him the run around.

I suppose it's the South American thing, get to 30 and you're over your peak and dropping fast.

 
As for Coentrao, he's looked very good going forward whenever I've seen him. But that is to be expected from a player who used to play in attack. Has he ever been really tested defensively though? Just don't really fancy these converted fullbacks tbh.
If we do get Coentrao, it would surely spell the end for Zhirkov, as both are these wing back type players that are great going forward, but perhaps suspect defensively. Where he would play is another question. Perhaps Ceontrao would be seen as a winger? We can only speculate.

 
If we do get Coentrao, it would surely spell the end for Zhirkov, as both are these wing back type players that are great going forward, but perhaps suspect defensively. Where he would play is another question. Perhaps Ceontrao would be seen as a winger? We can only speculate.
His playing style was likened to that of Arjen Robben by World Soccer Magazine in their 50 World Talents 2007 issue.

Can't be too bad as a winger then..

 
If we do get Coentrao, it would surely spell the end for Zhirkov, as both are these wing back type players that are great going forward, but perhaps suspect defensively. Where he would play is another question. Perhaps Ceontrao would be seen as a winger? We can only speculate.
Put Coentrao in Malouda's position and we are instantly a severely more dangerous team going forward. Coentrao has skill and a lightning quick first step.

 
I wouldn't really call zirkov a wingback either tbh, he's a versatile left winger, who can cover at lb if needs be. But imho I wouldn't consider him a wingback so it wouldn't mean the end if contraoe came. However, I wouldn't mind zirkov leaving for 15mill if a offer came in. Probably best for all parties.

 
I wouldn't really call zirkov a wingback either tbh, he's a versatile left winger, who can cover at lb if needs be. But imho I wouldn't consider him a wingback so it wouldn't mean the end if contraoe came. However, I wouldn't mind zirkov leaving for 15mill if a offer came in. Probably best for all parties.
He's 27 and is injury prone, plus he hasn't had much first team action and he's sooner or later going to request a transfer. I think his contract runs out next July or thereabouts as well. We'd be lucky to get over 6 million for him.

 
Yes, consistent is what Ash was last season. Not spectacular, never bad. In terms of defending 1v1 he is still the best in the world. However his touch is average, his crossing is weak and his final ball is rarely accurate. As another poster mentioned, he is heavily reliant on his left foot which makes him less of an attacking force.

If you watch Coentrao play, this guy is very versatile, very skilled in 1v1 attacking situations and penetrating runs, great crosser. He starts attacks and can finish them with great passes. He was also considered the best LB at the World Cup by many.

I think its time to let Ash go. He has personal issues, he has injuries, he is 30. If we could get 25 mil for him we would be crazy not to sell.

Plus, the way this story is shaping up, looks like Real want Maicon desperately which would free up Sergio Ramos. Maybe we send Ash in a straight swap for Ramos, Real signs Maicon to fill their RB position and we sign Coentrao to fill our LB spot.
:laugh2: :laugh2:

Hello ladies and gents :lol:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top