Carney Chukwuemeka

Well Villa as a club weren't so happy. They had offered Carney an improved contract and really wanted him to stay. But he refused to sign it.
He was what ? 18 and the story is that he wanted £100k a week and playing guarantees . He had broken into their first team and was on a 3 year first contract and had entered the last year. They, Villa of course wanted him to sign a new one to protect their investment and of course we weren’t the only club circling.

For an 18 year old who had played more than just a handful of PL games the fee of circa £15 million was a potential bargain.

It’s hard to believe that he has been with us for 3 years so potentially could be a good deal selling him.

Have to be honest when I saw him play and score the first day of the 23/4 season at WHU I thought wow but as history tells us he got injured and struggled to get back in the team from that point on.

 
The amount of attackers we have now with Xavi Simons and probably the very punchable Garnacho coming in, I can’t see where Carney can get games for us.

I’m sad but it’s probably the best move for all parties, hopefully we can squeeze a decent amount out of Dortmund.

 
Real shame, I had high hopes for Carney and he showed glimpses when fit. There’s a player there, I just hope he fulfils his potential.

 
So Colwill gets injured and out of the three remaining left footed CB's we own:

  • Dortmund have deemed one good enough and took him on loan.
  • Another we have sold on a permanent transfer following a successful loan to Juventus.
  • We have kept the worst one in Badiashile.
Looking into my crystal ball ... we'll probably top this by signing a left footed 19 year old centre back on a long contract for a huge fee, and who is palpably worse than Badiashile, let alone Colwill, but enables Colwill's sale next year for a rather underwhelming fee which is nevertheless all "pure profit" :-)

 
Pretty decent price if €20m is the up-front fee. Small accounting profit this season, with potentially a nice little bonus further down the line. If he stays fit he will do well at Dortmund so it's easy to see either us buying him back at an effective discount or raking in a decent commission.

I really rate Chukwuemeka and would rather have him than Enzo Fernandez (or Xavi Simons) in that 8/10 role, but unfortunately I don't think his body is going to cope with EPL football yet. A few years away might give him the base for a really top career.

 
Pretty decent price if €20m is the up-front fee. Small accounting profit this season, with potentially a nice little bonus further down the line. If he stays fit he will do well at Dortmund so it's easy to see either us buying him back at an effective discount or raking in a decent commission.

I really rate Chukwuemeka and would rather have him than Enzo Fernandez (or Xavi Simons) in that 8/10 role, but unfortunately I don't think his body is going to cope with EPL football yet. A few years away might give him the base for a really top career.
It seems madness but he is now into the 4th year of his 6 year contract.

As I keep banging on about how questionable Transfermarket is but they have his fee from Villa being €18 m so on their numbers that’s circa €11 million accounting profit not a lot but as Tesco declares “ Every little helps”

I too liked what I saw when he did play but I think you are right about his ability to perform in the PL.

 
Such a shame his knees are made of wheatabix, he's a very good player and would easily be a starter for us under normal circumstances.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
It seems madness but he is now into the 4th year of his 6 year contract.

As I keep banging on about how questionable Transfermarket is but they have his fee from Villa being €18 m so on their numbers that’s circa €11 million accounting profit not a lot but as Tesco declares “ Every little helps”

I too liked what I saw when he did play but I think you are right about his ability to perform in the PL.
The BBC reported the original fee as £20m excluding bonuses so should be a decent PSR profit because he was able to be amortised over 8 years.

i think with opportunities, he's a £50M man. if Dortmund can keep him fit they've got a fantastic Bellingham replacement.
They sick of the other Bellingham already? Stirring up some family trauma there

 
The BBC reported the original fee as £20m excluding bonuses so should be a decent PSR profit because he was able to be amortised over 8 years.

They sick of the other Bellingham already? Stirring up some family trauma there
I am pretty sure it was a 6 year deal indeed both Transfermarket, yes Transfermarket, say it was a 6 year deal as does wiki

Also it’s now being stated elsewhere it is £25 m up front

Here’s wiki

“On 2 August 2022, Aston Villa and Chelsea confirmed that the clubs had reached an agreement for the permanent transfer of Chukwuemeka, subject to the player agreeing personal terms and undergoing a medical.[12][13] On 4 August 2022, Chelsea announced the signing of Chukwuemeka on a six-year contract.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hope it happens and he stays injury free. Lot of talent and Germany with Dortmund seems an ideal place for him.

Should be a good loan for anselmino too. Not point in him sticking around as maresca does not think he is ready, just like Sarr.

 
Back
Top