Chelsea vs Fenerbahce

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC website saying "2140: No celebrating from John Terry. The Chelsea captain walks straight off the pitch at Stamford Bridge, shaking hands with Avram Grant on the way. Strange."Anyone else notice or can comment?
The fact that that BBC tw*t decided to pick that out speaks louder than JT's action. So he didn't want to celebrate, it's only the 1/4's, we've gotton carried away before.
ITV were no better. I swear that commentator - "Chelsea lead on the night by a technicality" - was willing a Fernabahce equalise, something I could never ever see happening with any other English team.

F*** 'em all.
Yeah sorry - should've realised it was nothing - just made me worry a bit seeing it - but you're right - I hardly felt like leaping around either!

 
My take on tonight,

Well happy to get through, nervous all game as were the players after letting the first game slip away.

I think Fenerbahce are a better team than people give them credit for and deserved their place in the last eight, Defended pretty well for long periods and still always looked like they could get something on the break.

We started well again but losing Carlo made the nerves even worse and we started to defend without pushing them backwards which invited them on a bit.

A few of our players had quiet games which did'nt help our cause although Ballack Jt Carvalho Essien and for me Kalou played well.

Credit to Hilario apart from a couple of nervous kicks he looked pretty composed and its good to have a third choice keeper as good as him.

Our two midfielders who can't play together both scored and the Shed end gambling society got its first win
happy0034.gif


I was happy when Grant moved Essien forward but wished it was Ferreira coming on, I complained when Kalou went off as I thought he was our main outlet with pace and we would miss him, Malouda came on to my horrer and done surprisingly quite well.

We are second in the league and in the semi's of the CL...I'm like a pig in s*it tonight
ball.gif


 
Yeah I'm quietly happy too - not jumping around yet but considering where I thought we'd be now back in September, I can't believe it (still miss Jose though!)

 
Just back from the match. A nervy affair.

Whoever said there was no atmosphere must have had their head stuck somewhere. It was the best atmosphere of the season for most of the game.

Although it was nervy and Fenerbahce did defend well, they never really looked all that dangerous until the Hilario double save.

I'm pretty happy but we will need to play better against the scousers that is for sure.

Essien and Ballack were both excellent. Kalou did pretty well whilst still being frustrating. Amazingly Malouda did well too for the short time he was on.

Frank did have a bit of a mare on the passing front but still worked his socks off and scored the clincher.

It's a shame we didn't take the game by the scruff of the neck more and go 4-4-2. Drogba really does need some help up front. We made it too easy for their defence for much of the game.

Overall though I'm very happy to be in the semis

 
I agree with ethical regarding the atmosphere. I watched on ITV4 and could hear our lot singing all night - I don't understand the comments about the fans.

Although it was nerve racking throughout I've definitely seen us play worse (including under Jose). The thing is we did win and we should be happy. I'm not looking forward to playing Liverpool, but I 'm hoping my nerves will be more settled by then. They should be, after all this is the fourth time in five years that we're in the semi finals. It can't be all bad can it?

 
I agree with ethical regarding the atmosphere. I watched on ITV4 and could hear our lot singing all night - I don't understand the comments about the fans.Although it was nerve racking throughout I've definitely seen us play worse (including under Jose). The thing is we did win and we should be happy. I'm not looking forward to playing Liverpool, but I 'm hoping my nerves will be more settled by then. They should be, after all this is the fourth time in five years that we're in the semi finals. It can't be all bad can it?
Spot on Jane...and you guessed the score right
happy0034.gif


 
Yes, Chippy - it's 'cos I'm a witch. (I did say witch and not bitch - well OK a bit of both)

 
Just back from the match. A nervy affair.Whoever said there was no atmosphere must have had their head stuck somewhere. It was the best atmosphere of the season for most of the game.

Although it was nervy and Fenerbahce did defend well, they never really looked all that dangerous until the Hilario double save.

I'm pretty happy but we will need to play better against the scousers that is for sure.

Essien and Ballack were both excellent. Kalou did pretty well whilst still being frustrating. Amazingly Malouda did well too for the short time he was on.

Frank did have a bit of a mare on the passing front but still worked his socks off and scored the clincher.

It's a shame we didn't take the game by the scruff of the neck more and go 4-4-2. Drogba really does need some help up front. We made it too easy for their defence for much of the game.

Overall though I'm very happy to be in the semis
Just back from SB and I can't lie. I saw a totally different game to you ES.

Sat in the MHU tonight and the atmosphere was very poor. Yes, it got a bit louder 2nd half, but that was all down to extreme nervous tension with the game poised on a knife's edge. It could have gone either way. Should it really have been that nervy ? Are Fenerbache really that good a side? Should we really have struggled to that extent?

I notice G4 has had a brave stab at guessing our formation after the substitutions. He's a better man than I. We did have a collective stab at it in the George afterwards and felt it was a 4-1-4-1 line up. The first time any of us could recall having seen such a set up. Ever.

People talk about the lack of excitement with Jose's team. Well I can only say, IMO, the last few weeks has seen us play some of the most turgid, un-inspired football I have seen us play since the days of Porterfield. Truly dire. And tonight was more of the same.

Still, as Avram tells us, it's the result that matters. And, yes, we are in the semis against the mousers again. So, I'm hoping that although Avi has practically no tactical acumen, he may yet prove to be the "luckiest" manager who has ever worn a pair of pants.

Because the way we're playing at the minute, we're certainly gonna need all the luck we can get.

 
When Carlo was subbed i was cursing our luck but credit to Hilario, he did very well, cool and solid throughout.

Overall, not a good performance,but we're through to the semis and that's what counts.

P.S. Please God, let us beat scousers this time around.
128.gif
128.gif
128.gif
128.gif
128.gif


 
Hope you break your dead luck against Liverpool and progress to the final for the first time.
Thanks.. I doubt if many fans could be so magnanimous in defeat
429.gif
, Honestly! I don't think I have ever met such a nice opposing fan on our forums, ever! Cheers for your insight Van, and all the best to your team in the future!

 
Like a stupid bas*ard I sceduled myself for work today, and missed the game. So I have only seen highlights. All I can really say is this; Ballack asked for the team to show passion and concentration for the entire game. Seems that he lead by example, and Essienw as one of the few who listened.

Anyway, I really hope that we beat the Scousers this time! I also hope that it is something contorversial, to see how those c*nts like it. Of course the media will be all over us, and the Scousers will think that it is more media bias against them. I will just be loving it

Scott

 
we were very poor tonight, no mistake...what a contrast to how we got to semi's last year with a stunning win in valencia...who was the dull manager in charge? oh yes...jose...still no need to go down that road again...avram has got us to the semi's and with the kind of luck he's got at the moment maybe he can do what jose failed to do and get us to a final and beat liverscum in the process...

 
I noticed one thing in the match. Our Home Support's passion was nothing compared to the the passion showed by the fenerbahce fans. Every Chelsea fan whop went to that match and sat their there like a useless c**t should be ashamed of himself. Support your team especially when it needs your support.

 
Second in the league

Semi final of the CL

But in all honesty - we play worse than Bolton

We haven't been this sh*t for 25 years

 
The singing was great alright....especially

"Were supposed to be at home"

That summed it up for me.

Grant should buy a lotto ticket this week.

 
Second in the leagueSemi final of the CL

But in all honesty - we play worse than Bolton

We haven't been this sh*t for 25 years
Funnily enough someone on Five Live said her boyfriend is a die hard Chelsea fan but when he phones her up after watching games now he just seems disheartened by our play and the atmosphere around the team.

Legard and Taylor said the atmosphere was quiet really and that Chelsea resemble a collection of individuals on the pitch not a team.

I never thought I would hear anyone say that about us - I wonder when we lost that?

After a dream start we again lost concentration and got sloppy - our manager does not help from the sidelines exhorting little and spotting these signs and stamping on them - he just sits there and waits until half time.

We were lucky that Fenerbache were simply not good enough to take advantage of the few good chances they had - they should have done - and a Man Utd would not have let Grant get out of jail like he did today.

We keep trundling along under this guy and I give him credit for that but that's what we do TRUNDLE.

One day we will meet a team that will make us pay for those increasingly worrying periods when we just switch off and seem to dawdle along thinking of something else.

 
Still, as Avram tells us, it's the result that matters. And, yes, we are in the semis against the mousers again. So, I'm hoping that although Avi has practically no tactical acumen, he may yet prove to be the "luckiest" manager who has ever worn a pair of pants. Because the way we're playing at the minute, we're certainly gonna need all the luck we can get.
This is different of course to when Avram tells us that playing stylishly is what he's there for.
icon_rolleyes.gif


Essien was good last night, silly yellow card though.

Grant has been blessed with luck alright - Jose never had the second leg at Stamford Bridige for Liverpool and I really think that will tip the balance.

And Grant needs all the luck he can get - although due to his sheer baffling ways I firmly believe Rafa will be unable to glean what is going on with our tactics and he'll promptly lose.

Irony indeed if we beat Liverpool with a much inferior manager at the helm than when we lost the previous two seasons!

 
Grant needs all the luck he can get - although due to his sheer baffling ways I firmly believe Rafa will be unable to glean what is going on with our tactics and he'll promptly lose.Irony indeed if we beat Liverpool with a much inferior manager at the helm than when we lost the previous two seasons!
As ive said earlier the thought of Grant v Rafa over 180 is scary

But i think youve hit upon something there.

Rafa had Jose nailed. But with Grant ? Who f**king knows what we are going to do....!!!!!

Last nights made up on the spot formation of the last 25 mins is something Rafa wouldnt have been expecting thats for sure!

 
I haven't seen the match yet but based on past experience however dissappointing it is the excitement against liverpool will be less. Penalty shootout anyone?

 
Just back from SB and I can't lie. I saw a totally different game to you ES.Sat in the MHU tonight and the atmosphere was very poor. Yes, it got a bit louder 2nd half, but that was all down to extreme nervous tension with the game poised on a knife's edge. It could have gone either way. Should it really have been that nervy ? Are Fenerbache really that good a side? Should we really have struggled to that extent?

I notice G4 has had a brave stab at guessing our formation after the substitutions. He's a better man than I. We did have a collective stab at it in the George afterwards and felt it was a 4-1-4-1 line up. The first time any of us could recall having seen such a set up. Ever.

People talk about the lack of excitement with Jose's team. Well I can only say, IMO, the last few weeks has seen us play some of the most turgid, un-inspired football I have seen us play since the days of Porterfield. Truly dire. And tonight was more of the same.

Still, as Avram tells us, it's the result that matters. And, yes, we are in the semis against the mousers again. So, I'm hoping that although Avi has practically no tactical acumen, he may yet prove to be the "luckiest" manager who has ever worn a pair of pants.

Because the way we're playing at the minute, we're certainly gonna need all the luck we can get.
I agree that the football wasn't inspiring Just. Fenebahce were not complete mugs though. They were pretty well organised and certainly not pushovers. But they really didn't look all that likely to score - I know they had a couple of late chances but other than that they were fairly unadventurous.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the atmosphere.

The formation after Belletti came on is a mystery to me but then again it was a mystery to the players too. I assume you saw Ballack standing there with his arms out asking where he was now supposed to be playing? You wouldn't think one change could cause quite so much confusion. I reckoned we ended up playing almost with two full backs on each side Belletti/Essien and Cole/Cole a sort of 6-1-2-1
icon_eek.gif
or maybe 4-3-2-1.

So you could well be right about it just being our year.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top