Collymore hate chelsea - petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
conveniently choosing to ignore the fact that the friendships were built mainly on the friendlies in memory of the bradford disaster.

but never mind. 
Sorry mate

8. A number of milestones stick out in my memory. Firstly the 2 friendlies in the early 1980’s. The first at Stamford Bridge in aid of the Bradford Disaster, when it was party time in the Fulham Road before and after and when the Shed end cheered every Rangers goal and the Rangers fans the Chelsea goals! The second at Ibrox in what I think was the following year, (and the floodlights failed for a period!) and when it was almost impossible to buy a drink in the pubs due to the generosity of the Rangers fans.

9. There is no doubt that the Bradford Disaster game was a major stepping stone in what became known as the Blues Brothers concept and the attendance in greater numbers at each other’s games. Chelsea/Rangers hats and scarves became commonplace at Stamford Bridge and the Blues Brothers fanzine was born. At this time the Linfield connection joined into the Blues Brothers fraternity as reflected in the fanzine. The Rangers & Linfield connection was already there but the Chelsea Linfield one definitely grew from the Chelsea servicemen out there and the attendance at the 12th July marches. The fanzine ‘completed the circle’

Wouldn't like to be accused of distorting the reality of these things and ignoring certain aspects.

What harm is it doing you?

Some members obviously want to discuss it while others who don't simply don't go into the thread.

Why are you taking offence at it? It almost seems like you like to cause arguments on here on a daily basis tbh.
It's not doing me any harm but the Chelsea-Rangers link is in the news so I thought it would be interesting to ask why there's an entire sub-forum dedicated to something that has some rather distasteful aspects. 

As for your last sentence, sorry I've disagreed with some of what you've said. Didn't mean to cause offence.

 
Then don't use it, don't look in it. Some people do, some people don't. I'm sure there's other lesser used sections of the forum too, do you want to dictate exactly which ones should be kept? Whether you like it or not there are historical links between the 2 clubs, I've been to 2 pre season friendlies at rangers and they were brilliant occasions, a real sense of camaraderie between fans and a great atmosphere.

 
What harm is it doing you?

Some members obviously want to discuss it while others who don't simply don't go into the thread.

Why are you taking offence at it? It almost seems like you like to cause arguments on here on a daily basis tbh.
strange reaction. worried that i am fuelling the fire here... but in saying that.. im a ST holder at the bridge and i the folk i sit with will always share their fondness for the Rangers and there will always be a friendly chat about the state of affairs north of the border. Older fans - its relevant. To many of the younger fans / new fans then it may be hard for them to comprehend. 

I just feel that it is a meaningful part of the club's history - which is something many other clubs like to dig us up on, giving it the "you aint got no history" chant. 

fact of the matter is, we do. and this is a relevant part of it. to some it means something, to others it doesnt. but to just blindly claim that it bears no "f**king relevance" is, in itself, stupid. 

 
Agree with this. I  am not here to champion the Rangers cause or wax lyrical about how you must like Rangers if you support Chelsea. It's personal preference. But to completely disregard what some people consider a lasting bond and friendship built on the games in memory of the bradford disaster, is quite frankly, f**king stupid. 

it means a lot to some people. just because many of us here may be too young to appreciate it, doesnt mean it isnt valid. 

pig ignorant really 
No need for the insults is there. If you need to do that then PM me OK and keep the actual thread friendly.

 
Then don't use it, don't look in it. Some people do, some people don't. I'm sure there's other lesser used sections of the forum too, do you want to dictate exactly which ones should be kept? Whether you like it or not there are historical links between the 2 clubs, I've been to 2 pre season friendlies at rangers and they were brilliant occasions, a real sense of camaraderie between fans and a great atmosphere.
amazing scenes at ibrox when the fans unfurled the banner reading

JOSE - THANKS FOR SEVILLE which he applauded. 

good few videos online of the chelsea faithful in a rangers supporters bar (the louden tavern) with everyone singing carefree together. great times. 

 
Oh guys please, I do not want to be the cause of in fighting. I'm curious and like to understand that's all. Let's move on.

 
It's based on 13 seasons

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/chelsea-supporters-most-racist-premier-league-according-13-year-home-office-statistics-1488546?

27 offences over a 13 year period which is obviously just a little over 2 a year. 

Full list of statistic can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/football-banning-orders
Right cheers, that makes sense.

Has anyone trawled through all the spreadsheets? I don't really trust the press to report on this accurately.

 
Then don't use it, don't look in it. Some people do, some people don't. I'm sure there's other lesser used sections of the forum too, do you want to dictate exactly which ones should be kept? Whether you like it or not there are historical links between the 2 clubs, I've been to 2 pre season friendlies at rangers and they were brilliant occasions, a real sense of camaraderie between fans and a great atmosphere.
Not dictating, questioning.

strange reaction. worried that i am fuelling the fire here... but in saying that.. im a ST holder at the bridge and i the folk i sit with will always share their fondness for the Rangers and there will always be a friendly chat about the state of affairs north of the border. Older fans - its relevant. To many of the younger fans / new fans then it may be hard for them to comprehend. 

I just feel that it is a meaningful part of the club's history - which is something many other clubs like to dig us up on, giving it the "you aint got no history" chant. 

fact of the matter is, we do. and this is a relevant part of it. to some it means something, to others it doesnt. but to just blindly claim that it bears no "f**king relevance" is, in itself, stupid. 
Again, no need for the insults is there.

I'm simply saying that in my 20+ years of going to the Bridge (not a younger fan really, definitely not a new one) the Rangers link has very little (if any) relevance to the vast, vast majority of fans I encounter.

In fact I remember plenty of fans in the Goose, The Lily and the Prince of Wales commenting that it would be a shame if Rangers went out of business because they'd end up latching onto us even more. No offence intended.

 
Right cheers, that makes sense.

Has anyone trawled through all the spreadsheets? I don't really trust the press to report on this accurately.
I've raised this elsewhere, it is so subjective. Factors would include type of police force and their available manpower as a start. Statistics can say what you want them to.

 
Not dictating, questioning.

Again, no need for the insults is there.

I'm simply saying that in my 20+ years of going to the Bridge (not a younger fan really, definitely not a new one) the Rangers link has very little (if any) relevance to the vast, vast majority of fans I encounter.

In fact I remember plenty of fans in the Goose, The Lily and the Prince of Wales commenting that it would be a shame if Rangers went out of business because they'd end up latching onto us even more. No offence intended.
contrary in the extreme to my experiences to date but there you go. relegation to the third tier hasn't resulted in any extra "latching on", so while you mean no offence, you've done a good job in getting half way there.  

onwards and upwards. not going to engage in this chat anymore. its not what the thread is about. 

enjoy the rest of your day. 

 
The thing about Collymore he has no self awareness. All he's doing with is idiotic Twitter rants is biting the hand that feeds him.

In the past he's been dropped from MOTD 2, 5Live, and now BT Sport. Talk Sport should have let him go years ago he's a awful co- commentator he never shuts up and has a bloody annoying brummie accent.

 
contrary in the extreme to my experiences to date but there you go. relegation to the third tier hasn't resulted in any extra "latching on", so while you mean no offence, you've done a good job in getting half way there.  
I didn't mean to cause offence, or even halfway.

I simply think that now might be a time when we can be honest about the more contentious aspects of our support. Collymore is a f**king moron of the highest order and I think that obscures any minor point he might haphazardly stumble upon that contains even the tiniest kernel of truth.

Either way, I think that even if you and I have had different experiences of the reality of this link in the ground (I think I've seen more Americans at the ground in recent months than Scots to be honest) the evidence of this forum is that it's a very, very small link nowadays. Maybe it means more to those fans who were around in the 1980s but I think times have changed and many things that were part of the club in the 1980s aren't part of the club now.

And to the mods I wasn't trying to dictate anything. I was simply questioning certain things and isn't that how that sub-forum came into existence? People discussing it? Either way it's not causing me any offence.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
here you go mate

Http://www.theshedend.com/topic/18448-chelsea-and-Rangers/ 

like i said above, i regularly meet chelsea fans who keep an eye on rangers. some who will even organise a bus up to glasgow every few months for a visit to see them play. 

its the older fans who still regard it as relevant. younger people will have no reason to do so, which is totally understandable. 
Thanks, I've now read it. Fascinating and frightening in equal measure.

 
I've raised this elsewhere, it is so subjective. Factors would include type of police force and their available manpower as a start. Statistics can say what you want them to.
It's also misleading to quote the numbers without reference to the amount of supporters attending matches for each club. For example, Stoke, Leeds and West Ham are close behind in terms of arrest numbers but all have significantly lower match day attendances than us, so statistically supporters of those teams are more likely to be arrested for racist chanting than we are. That said, we're still too high up that particular league table for my liking.

 
Right cheers, that makes sense.

Has anyone trawled through all the spreadsheets? I don't really trust the press to report on this accurately.
I'm happy to take the report at face value, obviously having the highest number of arrests for racist chanting is concerning but when you consider it works out as 2 per year over a 13 year period when we play on average over 50 games a year it really is a very small percentage of the support. 

I'm not excusing it but to lead with a sensationalist headline of "Chelsea most racist fans in the Premier League" is a little misleading. 

We've had the most arrests, so more of our fans have been caught then any other club but that doesn't necessarily mean we are the worst for it, perhaps others have just not been caught doing it by the authorities. 

What's annoying is that when the Metro (I know, sh*tty free newspaper and all that) reported this story they made no mention on their online article that this is over a 13 year period and I just don't like that some media outlets are piggybacking on the incident in Paris and bashing the club and fans with misleading stories because it's a hot topic and generating lots of traffic. 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy to take the report at face value, obviously having the highest number of arrests for racist chanting is concerning but when you consider it works out as 2 per year over a 13 year period when we play on average over 50 games a year it really is a very small percentage of the support. 

I'm not excusing it but to lead with a sensationalist headline of "Chelsea most racist fans in the Premier League" is a little misleading. 

We've had the most arrests, so more of our fans have been caught then any other club but that doesn't necessarily mean we are the worst for it, perhaps others have just not been caught doing it by the authorities. 

What's annoying is that when the Metro (I know, sh*tty free newspaper and all that) reported this story they made no mention on their online article that this is over a 13 year period and I just don't like that some media outlets are piggybacking on the incident in Paris and bashing the club and fans with misleading stories because it's a hot topic and generating lots of traffic. 
Would love to know an exact breakdown of those numbers and what exactly the offences were. Can imagine a few were directed towards our League Cup Final opponents and I've seen that type of chanting drop quite a bit except for during one chant.

At least it shows we're taking action. Would much rather the club focussed on taking action against these people then people who 'persistently stand' during matches.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top