Emotional movies

Seven Pounds.

It might be the Will Smith film that FC is talking about but you spend two hours trying to work out what the hell he is doing then when it is all revealed at the end it hit me like a punch in the stomach!

 
Not an emotional film, but a very emotional novel which hasn't (as far as I know) thank goodness, left the page. 'Middlesex' by Jeffery Eugenides.

'Emotional', one may assume a softer, tearful emotion. 'Two Caravans' (Marina Lewycka) moved me to anger and is as pertinent now as when it was written.

 
Not an emotional film, but a very emotional novel which hasn't (as far as I know) thank goodness, left the page. 'Middlesex' by Jeffery Eugenides.
For a long time I thought this was similar to one of those Edward Rutherford books - you know, following a place and its people across history.  If I'd been looking for that type of book I may have got a shock!  I wonder if others have been caught out in the same way? 

 
I actually burst into tears laughing in the theater at the start of Up. Just thought it was morbidly hilarious that a kids film would start so depressingly, not that it wasn't sad.

That's not even my most awkward laughing fit in a theater either.

Surprised no one has mentioned Old Yeller.

City of God is a really good movie but I found it to be quite sad at times.

 
For a long time I thought this was similar to one of those Edward Rutherford books - you know, following a place and its people across history.  If I'd been looking for that type of book I may have got a shock!  I wonder if others have been caught out in the same way?
Ha yes, not the mysterious disappearing county, but the most wonderful novel.

 
Haven't got round yet to watch the film but have read the book and seen the stage adaptation. The stage adaptation was brilliant. If people get the chance, go and see it. 
I've seen the stage adaptation as well which I also enjoyed, though found less emotional. I must get around to reading the book.

 
The film I sobbed at the most was an old Frank Sinatra one I saw on tv as a teenager called the Joker's Wild.  It was about a singer who got beaten up and his throat was injured stopping him being able to sing so he became a comedian instead.  I can't remember all the details but the film charts his decline and the breakdown of all his relationships.  The song "All the Way" came from that film and whenever I heard it afterwards (which was lots as I was going through a real Frank spell at the time) I teared up.

It doesn't even sound emotional now I write about it.  I haven't seen it since, so I don't know if it was just something that touched me at the time.

Sophie's Choice was traumatic - I don't think I could watch that again.  I saw it before I had children and it was bad enough then!

A few years back I went with a group of friends to see "And When Did you Last See Your Father" with Colin Firth.  When it finished, our whole row was in tears - the problem was we were all of an age with recently deceased or declining parents and it was all a bit too close to home for us.

Obviously Boy in the Striped Pajamas too.  Stunned silence at the end.

 
Sophie's Choice was traumatic - I don't think I could watch that again.  I saw it before I had children and it was bad enough then!
You beat me to it. Amazingly powerful. Meryl Streep is phenomenal.

The Deer Hunter is another. She's in that, too.

 
Dead Poets Society

Schindler's List

Shawshank Redemption

Good Will Hunting

ET

Patch Adams

The Thin Red Line ('every man fights his own war')

Moon

I Origins

 
Last edited by a moderator:
My Sister's Keeper is emotional as well. 

Several war films have made me emotional too - the scene in Saving Private Ryan when the medic dies for one.

 
Since I've started watching Narcos on Netflix it has reminded me of a film I saw several years ago called Maria Full Of Grace. It's about a young, pregnant and desperate girl in Columbia who is persuaded to start working as a drug mule. As you can probably tell, it's not a feel good movie.

 
Since I've started watching Narcos on Netflix it has reminded me of a film I saw several years ago called Maria Full Of Grace. It's about a young, pregnant and desperate girl in Columbia who is persuaded to start working as a drug mule. As you can probably tell, it's not a feel good movie.
That made me laugh the way you put that.

 
Who didn't cry when ET "died"?

The Champ, with Jon Voight and Ricky Schroder.

I probably was one of the few who wasn't touched by Titanic, just annoyed at the waste of my time and money.

 
The Notebook - having spent my teenage years living with a grandmother with alzheimers this one makes me well up every time.

 
Back
Top