Expectations for the rest of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan'82

First Team Squad
Messages
1,209
Reaction score
57
So here we are, all gloom and doom, last one to leave turn out the lights and all that crap.For many reading this it will be a case of heard this before, and in a age where the media can't wait to kick a manager/club when they can, what can we, the fans hope for the rest of the season.Personally, firstly common sense, give our manager support, second, we need to freshen up our squad,thiird,we can finish top 4.A cup run to the final in the F.A. cup (with luck in the draw),is still on the cards, and if the club can stay focused we might suprise a few bigmouths when it comes to the champions league.One things for sure, compared to times past, this so called crisis will soon past and this clubs future is still looking peachy.

 
Top 4 finish is mandatory, a good cup run would be nice, the CL is a cup competition, we might just do a Liverpool..... So long as we finish top 4!!

 
I still say we can win all the competitions we're in. Perhaps not the way we're playing at the moment, but I'm confident it'll change soon and we'll be back to our old winning ways.

 
I think we are at crossroads. Depending upon the course of action taken, we could finish anywhere between 2nd and 5th. If Roman sticks with Carlo and funds are made available for a couple of signings, we can still finish 2nd. But worst case scenario, if Carlo is sacked and Emenalo is appointed we could finish as low as 5th, maybe lower but the usual suspects Everton, Villa, Fulham are all having bad seasons.

If anyone still thinks we can win the title, they are simply in denial. We'd have to win 17 out of 17 to match lasts seasons tally of 86 and that's the lowest winning total in 7 seasons.

 
I still say we can win all the competitions we're in. Perhaps not the way we're playing at the moment, but I'm confident it'll change soon and we'll be back to our old winning ways.
I am also confident that well be back to our old winning ways soon, but it may already be too late by then.

 
All depends on whether we fix our issues.

For me that revolves around reinvigorating the squad's morale. First thing that involves is getting in a new forward, young and talented right at the top or very close to the top of the tree. He should preferably be a right winger. We still have the equal second best defence in the league, our problem is scoring. We possess the most dangerous target man in the world, he needs service from both sides not just one. A player who can beat a man and cross accurately is a must. I've had enough to the playing of Anelka on the right, particularly when he provides no width and allows the right back to sit inside and flood the box a little more.

That is at the very minimum what is required. Preferably there should be a new assistant to come in. Either someone Carlo wants, or someone who has the respect of the squad, Steve Clarke's name has been thrown around and I think he would be perfect. If it wasn't Wilkins departure that caused the problems his absence certainly has not helped fix them. A strong personality experienced at this level must replace him.

If we can do those things, I've no doubt we can still finish ahead of Man City and Arsenal. Because they will be inconsistent and our squad is capable of stringing wins together. The title may be a bridge too far, but we've two matches against United to pull 6 points back. If we climb back towards our peak we can certainly win one if not both of those games.

Our run in the Champions League will depend also on the draw. If we improve we should beat FC Kobenhavn but make no mistake if we don't we will be out. After that it really comes down to who we draw. The FA Cup really is similar.

If we do not do at least the first of the things listed above, it's not inconceivable for us to miss out on the Champions League and go out to Kobenhavn. In my mind it has gone too far to be simply fixed by the staff, the board need to come in and take some positive steps towards fixing this. However, I don't hold out my hopes.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
As the Prem has gone so badly, I mean wrong beyond my imagination I think we will fight back and for a change have some luck and clinch the third place. That would be good considering the form we are on.

CL is all open. It is a cup tournament. Carlo knows how to win it and we were lucky in the draw. We are very experienced in going far in that tournament and with even a little bit of luck we would have won it already.

FA is the same. Actually this weekend will be important in that front.

 
Loads of youngsters get a chance in the league and FA Cup as we prepare for the next season obviously keeping an eye on the fourth spot.

A decent run in the CL and FA Cup. Hopefully winning one of those two.

 
We will get 3rd in the league

We will win the Champions League Final at Wembley beating Real Madrid

 
Last edited by a moderator:
We will get 3rd in the league

We will win the Champions League Final at Wembley beating Real Madrid
I like your style.

However your theory is flawed, because we are a bit sh*te.

 
I'm with the majority, CL qualification is definitely going to be top priority where the league is concerned. At the moment, we don't look like a side capable of winning the CL or FA Cup, I hope they can turn it around, so we can effectively start again for next season.

 
7th in the league and no silverware! I've seen nothing over the last few weeks to suggest we're suddenly going to turn it all round and start playing like a team.

 
It's form, you don't become a sh*t team overnight, a win would be a good start, and then a convincing win and we'll be back firing on all cylinders again

I feel we've been strangely lucky in the CL this year, apart from the Marseille game, I expect us to go deep into that competition and finish 3rd/4th in the league

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top