Film and Music Quizzes

Status
Not open for further replies.
U) The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King?V) Apt Pupil
Both are right!
happy0034.gif


 
E. Bridge over the River Kwai

M Bringing out the Dead

X Bonfire of the Vanities

 
E. Bridge over the River KwaiM Bringing out the Dead

X Bonfire of the Vanities
All three are right!
happy0034.gif


Well...to be precise, it's 'The Bridge on the River Kwai', but I'll accept it.
icon_lol.gif


bolt.gif


 
So links are:

T-U Peter Jackson

D - E Can't work that one out

E-F Alec Guinness

L - M - struggling with that as well

W - X Morgan Freeman

X - Y Brian De Palma

 
Oh final score was 4-4 and it was the soundtrack to 'American Werewolf in London'

 
Still two quotes to identify and a few connections to make...
icon_lol.gif


Again, quotes in bold and the connections between the movies in gray:

A) The Fugitive[The quote from 'The Fugitive' is said by Tommy Lee Jones, who plays a character who is tracking down the fugitive played by Harrision Ford, who says the quote from 'Witness']

:conspiracy: Witness

[The quote from Witness is said by Harrison Ford, who also appears in American Graffiti]

C) American Graffiti

[American Graffiti is directed by George Lucas, who also directed the prequel 'Star Wars' -trilogy in which Ewan McGregor features as an actor]

D) Shallow Grave

E) Bridge on the River Kwai

[Alec Guinness says the quote from 'Bridge on the River Kwai' and also features in 'Doctor Zhivago']

F) Doctor Zhivago

[Rod Steiger says the quote from 'Doctor Zhivago', and he also features in 'On the Waterfront']

G) On the Waterfront

H) ?Man has a choice and it's a choice that makes him a man.?

I) Grapes of Wrath

[The quote from 'Grapes of Wrath' and 'Once Upon a Time in the West' are said by Henry Fonda]

J) Once Upon a Time in the West

[The quote from 'Once Upon a Time in the West' is said by Henry Fonda, who is the father of Peter Fonda who features in 'Easy Rider' as an actor, writer and producer.]

K) Easy Rider

[Dennis Hopper says the quotes in 'Easy Rider' and 'Rumblefish']

L) Rumble Fish

M) Bringing out the Dead

N) ?I'm not afraid of death, but I am afraid of murder.?

O) Unforgiven

[both quotes are said by Richard Harris]

P) Guns of Navarone

['Guns of Navarone' and 'Where Eagles Dare' are both based on Alistair MacLean novels]

Q) Where Eagles Dare

[The quote from 'Where Eagles Dare' is said by Clint Eastwood, who directed 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil']

R) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

[John Cusack says the quotes from 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' and 'High Fidelity']

S) High Fidelity

[Jack Black says the quote from 'King Kong' and he also appears in 'High Fidelity']

T) King Kong

[Peter Jackson has directed the re-make of 'King Kong' and the 'Lord of the Rings' -trilogy]

U) Lord of the Rings ? The Return of the King

V) Apt Pupil

W) Shawshank Redemption

[Morgan Freeman says the quote from 'Shawshank Redemption' and also features in 'The Bonfire of the Vanities']

X) The Bonfire of the Vanities

Y) Carlito?s Way

[both quotes are said by Al Pacino]

Z) Any Given Sunday

JOKER: The Jazz Singer
Ok...as well as the short description of the movie, I'll give you the actor who says the line in the first movie and reveal the name of the character for the latter quote:

H) Cal Trask(played by James Dean) feels he must compete against overwhelming odds with his brother Aron for the love of their father Adam.

N) Harry Caul is a security specialist who performs wiretapping and eavesdropping operations for powerful clients. Harry's surveillance of a couple taking a noontime stroll in a San Francisco park is a difficult job for which three eavesdropping devices must be used. In polishing his results for delivery to the corporation director who requested the tape, however, Harry allows himself to become concerned. Repeated listenings convince him that to turn the tape over to the director, the woman's husband, will bring harm to the couple. Harry's decision to intervene in this particular case puts an odd twist on his revived sentimentality, for the people who seem innocent and in need of Harry's protection turn out to have sinister motives.

 
Anyone care to give these another try? Only two films to go and a few connections to make.
icon_wink.gif


'H' was the first film to get posthumous acting nomination in Academy Awards history. The actor didn't win it, but the film did get the Oscar for Best Actress in a Supporting Role.

'N' didn't win any Oscars but it was nominated for three Oscars in 1975 and one of them was the award for Best Picture. It did win the Golden Palm at Cannes the previous year, though.

 
H is East of Eden (didn't get it till I saw the James Dean /Cal Trask clue) which makes the connection from G to H James Dean and from H to I

its John Steinbeck (genius!)

Still don't know N

 
'East of Eden' is right, but the connection between G and H is not James Dean.

The connection between H and I is John Steinbeck, though. Both 'East of Eden' and 'Grapes of Wrath' are based on a John Steinbeck novel.

 
Sorry for G to H I meant Elia Kazan - I just had James Dean's name stuck in my head because I had just typed it.

I actually watched 'On the Waterfront' again last night for the first time in a long long time - still a classic (and Brando does a mean James Dean impression
icon_wink.gif
)

 
Ok...
icon_lol.gif


Elia Kazan indeed directed both 'On the Waterfront' and 'East of Eden'.

---

Not sure if this makes it too easy, but the last movie left unidentified was released between the first two 'Godfather' films.

 
N is a film I haven't seen (based on your description of it) so is one I shall have to put on my list of films to see once you tell me what it is.

Based on when you say it was made and the film at O I am guessing the link is either Clint Eastwood or Gene Hackman and based on your description of the film I would place my money on Hackman.

 
Ok...I'll give away the last movie, but leave you to try to make the connections that haven't been made yet. The missing film is The Conversation, which isn't usually mentioned with Coppola's most famous films, but that doesn't mean it's not any good.

Here's the updated list:

A) The Fugitive[The quote from 'The Fugitive' is said by Tommy Lee Jones, who plays a character who is tracking down the fugitive played by Harrision Ford, who says the quote from 'Witness']

:yay: Witness

[The quote from Witness is said by Harrison Ford, who also appears in American Graffiti]

C) American Graffiti

[American Graffiti is directed by George Lucas, who also directed the prequel 'Star Wars' -trilogy in which Ewan McGregor features as an actor]

D) Shallow Grave

E) Bridge on the River Kwai

[Alec Guinness says the quote from 'Bridge on the River Kwai' and also features in 'Doctor Zhivago']

F) Doctor Zhivago

[Rod Steiger says the quote from 'Doctor Zhivago', and he also features in 'On the Waterfront']

G) On the Waterfront

[both 'On the Waterfront' and 'East of Eden' have been directed by Elia Kazan]

H) East of Eden

[both 'East of Eden' and 'Grapes of Wrath' are based on a novel by John Steinbeck]

I) Grapes of Wrath

[The quote from 'Grapes of Wrath' and 'Once Upon a Time in the West' are said by Henry Fonda]

J) Once Upon a Time in the West

[The quote from 'Once Upon a Time in the West' is said by Henry Fonda, who is the father of Peter Fonda who features in 'Easy Rider' as an actor, writer and producer.]

K) Easy Rider

[Dennis Hopper says the quotes in 'Easy Rider' and 'Rumblefish']

L) Rumble Fish

M) Bringing out the Dead

N) The Conversation

[The quote from 'The Conversation' is said by Gene Hackman who also features in 'Unforgiven']

O) Unforgiven

[both quotes are said by Richard Harris]

P) Guns of Navarone

['Guns of Navarone' and 'Where Eagles Dare' are both based on Alistair MacLean novels]

Q) Where Eagles Dare

[The quote from 'Where Eagles Dare' is said by Clint Eastwood, who directed 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil']

R) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

[John Cusack says the quotes from 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' and 'High Fidelity']

S) High Fidelity

[Jack Black says the quote from 'King Kong' and he also appears in 'High Fidelity']

T) King Kong

[Peter Jackson has directed the re-make of 'King Kong' and the 'Lord of the Rings' -trilogy]

U) Lord of the Rings ? The Return of the King

V) Apt Pupil

W) Shawshank Redemption

[Morgan Freeman says the quote from 'Shawshank Redemption' and also features in 'The Bonfire of the Vanities']

X) The Bonfire of the Vanities

Y) Carlito?s Way

[both quotes are said by Al Pacino]

Z) Any Given Sunday

JOKER: The Jazz Singer
I've left a gap between the films where the connection hasn't been made yet. One link is the director, one is the writer, twice the connection is the actor, once it's a role and one is about people and who they are related to(a bit of an obscure one, but at least I wasn't being lazy
icon_wink.gif
)

 
OK the obscure one is surely Shallow Grave to River Kwai as that certainly isn't writer, director or actor

AARRGHHH - Nicholas Cage was in Rumblefish wasn't he as Smokie - so he is the link to Bringing out the Dead that one has been puzzling me for ages as I have seen both films a number of times and I just couldn't make the connection.

The Conversation I know nothing about so I am not going to get the link to Bringing Out The Dead other than it isn't the director because that is Copolla and Scorsese

Apt Pupil I haven't seen but I do know McKellen is in it so I am guessing that is the link to LOTR. As for its link to Shawshank, by process of elimination (and a 50 50 guess) I say that is the writer link and therefore I am guessing Stephen king as he wrote Shawshank.

Bonfire of the Vanities I also haven't seen but as the only link Ihave left is director's then I am guessing Brian de Palma as he directed Carlito's Way (Sean Penn with that affro - class comedy).

 
Yes, Nicholas Cage is the connection between 'Rumblefish' and 'Bringing out the Dead' and Ian McKellen is the link between 'Apt Pupil' and 'Lord of the Rings'. Brian de Palma is the connection between 'Carlito's Way' and 'Bonfire of Vanities'. Both 'Apt Pupil' and 'Shawshank Redemption' are based on a story written by Stephen King.

'Shallow Grave' to 'River Kwai' isn't the obscure one. Well ok, the connection isn't straight forward, but it's still quite simple once you realise it. Think of roles.

The connection between 'Bringing out the Dead' and 'The Conversation' is the obscure one. Think people(directors and actors) and who they are related to.

 
Yes...Cage's real full name is Nicholas Kim Coppola. I think he changed the name so that people wouldn't treat him any differently because of the connection to Francis Ford. Not 100% sure though.

So what is the connection between 'Shallow Grave' and 'River Kwai'...? Quotes from Ewan McGregor and Alec Guinness.
icon_wink.gif


 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top