New fan and member

  • Thread starter Thread starter d-vder
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the forums mate, I live in the US too, and used to live in NY. I am now a west Coaster, and thoroughly love it out here. Interesting that the education is better in the UK...which I think is true also....makes me wonder about what we'll do when we finally have kids.

There are some great Universities out here, but if your lad wants to continue plaing football, and continue his education down the road, then the U.S.A has the U.K beaten, hands down, for being able to combine the two. Plus there are plenty great Uni's out here.

Anyway, welcome

PS. I came to the states originally so I could play sports and get an education, but figured I'd stay on and do a Masters out here too, just to be safe.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Education in the States must be truly woeful if it's worse than English education. In the last two years, I had a grand total of two competent teachers (who happened to be father and son).

 
Education in the States must be truly woeful if it's worse than English education. In the last two years, I had a grand total of two competent teachers (who happened to be father and son).
In my experience, Dutch schools are FAR better than English schools... Although that might just be some wistful nostalgia, as I went to lower school there, and middle and upper schools here... Having said that though, I am aware that in a study by the EU, The Netherlands came out on top for student happiness and enjoyment.

 
Welcome to the forums mate, I live in the US too, and used to live in NY. I am now a west Coaster, and thoroughly love it out here. Interesting that the education is better in the UK...which I think is true also....makes me wonder about what we'll do when we finally have kids.There are some great Universities out here, but if your lad wants to continue plaing football, and continue his education down the road, then the U.S.A has the U.K beaten, hands down, for being able to combine the two. Plus there are plenty great Uni's out here.

Anyway, welcome

PS. I came to the states originally so I could play sports and get an education, but figured I'd stay on and do a Masters out here too, just to be safe.
Hey cool, nice to meet another ex-pat. However, on your point about football education - well, I'd agree it's technically more thorough (as is all sports edu stateside), but Football is like the Blues (music, not CFC): it's a cultural thing that you've gotta feel.

Otherwise, why d'you think the Brasilians are so good? Because their footie schools are so good?

 
In my experience, Dutch schools are FAR better than English schools... Although that might just be some wistful nostalgia, as I went to lower school there, and middle and upper schools here... Having said that though, I am aware that in a study by the EU, The Netherlands came out on top for student happiness and enjoyment.
Eggy - you're not Dutch are you? Dutch people p*** me off because they're so well educated, so polite, are very cool and even speak English better than most English.

Hate you! :)

 
Eggy - you're not Dutch are you? Dutch people p*** me off because they're so well educated, so polite, are very cool and even speak English better than most English.Hate you! :)
Wait until Val gets a hold of you :P

 
Eggy - you're not Dutch are you? Dutch people p*** me off because they're so well educated, so polite, are very cool and even speak English better than most English.Hate you! :)
Was born in Milton Keynes, raised not far from Amsterdam, then raised the rest of the way in Bedford... With a Ukrainian grandparent on each side for a good measure of randomness... Oh and my accent is Bedfordian, now. :P

 
Hey cool, nice to meet another ex-pat. However, on your point about football education - well, I'd agree it's technically more thorough (as is all sports edu stateside), but Football is like the Blues (music, not CFC): it's a cultural thing that you've gotta feel. Otherwise, why d'you think the Brasilians are so good? Because their footie schools are so good?
No, but a lot of them are brought off the streets, where they didn't exactly get an education (well, not in the traditional sense). My pint was basically that if you want to get an education, and play sports, then the States wins.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top