Next Coach?

I really hope Alonso turns out to be the real deal - because we need him to be. We really can’t afford another disaster.

Interesting listening to the pundits about him, very highly rated. Gerrard was saying even as a player, he was a “coach”.

Personally, I don’t put much faith in playing careers. They might get you in the door but playing careers don’t last long in a managerial sense. It’s about results

Credit to the board and SDs for moving quickly, being decisive and (hopefully) changing their strategy.

 
Very exciting news and a positive shift into the right direction.

This is a man who played at the highest level and understands the game from 2 different perspectives. Xabi as our manager makes us have some pull power again for top players.

 
  • Like
Reactions: OTL
Reading and listening to Liverpool fans reacting to this has been the perfect distraction from the FA cup final defeat. Reminds me of when England got knocked out of the world cup in the group stages in 2014 and Suarez decided to chomp down on Chiellini on the same day to take the focus away.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Do people actually have confidence that Alonso, given the job will be allowed to pick his best/preferred 11 each week as opposed to the tombola approach we’ve seen this last season or so?

At only 44 and with the prospect of the Liverpool job hovering, and the dysfunctional sh*t show that is BlueCo Chelsea, I would not be even slightly surprised to see us struggle and him leave or be sacked (or whatever it was that happened with Maresca) before the year ticks over to 2027.

And despite typing all this, I think I’m very nearly past caring in all honesty.

 
Do people actually have confidence that Alonso, given the job will be allowed to pick his best/preferred 11 each week as opposed to the tombola approach we’ve seen this last season or so?

At only 44 and with the prospect of the Liverpool job hovering, and the dysfunctional sh*t show that is BlueCo Chelsea, I would not be even slightly surprised to see us struggle and him leave or be sacked (or whatever it was that happened with Maresca) before the year ticks over to 2027.

And despite typing all this, I think I’m very nearly past caring in all honesty.
It very much sounds like Alonso is going to be involved in the decision making and ultimately final say.

 
Do people actually have confidence that Alonso, given the job will be allowed to pick his best/preferred 11 each week as opposed to the tombola approach we’ve seen this last season or so?
Nope.

 
Finally an appointment I can get excited about and invested in.

The fact that Liverpool fans are in meltdown about it is the icing on the cake.

At least the future doesn’t seem so bleak, but there’s a lot of work to be done to get us back to the top.

 
I think Alonso was the best of the managers available. If he gets the level of control a normal manager gets then I have some optimism for the future. If we can dispense with at least some of these ridiculous Blue Co. style methods related to the footballing activities then it can only be a good thing.

The thought of a manager using his influence to bring a squad together to attract players to the club and to organise a team will be a return to normality but may feel like a revolution. We have not learnt from the Americans (Todd) and we do feel a manager is important regarding results (Finklestein). I think im going to like this self reflection.

It will take time but we have plenty of that and without the complication of Europe next year. I hope flogging the surplus players will keep the SDs busy as i cant imagine him needing all of the, in some cases, medium quality players. He might surprise us and re integrate a few players out on loan, in the academy or one or two of the incoming young overseas players.

Its been a while since ive looked forward to watching us play, been more of a habit this year, here's to normality !

Roll on July 1st.

 
He needs a top keeper, a centerback, 2 wide attackerS and a striker of real quality at least.

If we are indeed sell to buy now I don't see how we manage to back him.

 
Can't disagree with Cole on this.
Is what they do. unfortunately it works, look at less than 150 of our fans today willing to protest.

BlueCo has us by the short and curleys and can get away with whatever they want it seems.

 
I'm honestly wondering, is he a top appointment?

As a player yes a top career, excellent. As a manager though what makes him a top manager?
I think he's the most impressive manager that we were supposedly looking at and might be interested in coming.

Unfortunately there are still many fans and pundits that talk as if we're a big club. That's gone, possibly For good, who knows. This version of us that these clowns have created are a mid table team, in a smaller run down stadium, saddled with immense debt with little commercial appeal to sponsors. I'm sure that the likes of Sunderland and Leeds spent years turning their noses up at their managerial appointments all throughout their declining years under the misconception that they were still big clubs.

He appears to have a brand of football that is honest and entertaining without the classroom nonsense we've suffered in recent times. He will undoubtedly be a selling point to possible new plays. For me, even if they ultimately get this wrong, this seems to be the first decision that this appalling ownership have made regarding managing any of our teams, that I have found encouraging.

 
I think he's the most impressive manager that we were supposedly looking at and might be interested in coming.

Unfortunately there are still many fans and pundits that talk as if we're a big club. That's gone, possibly For good, who knows. This version of us that these clowns have created are a mid table team, in a smaller run down stadium, saddled with immense debt with little commercial appeal to sponsors. I'm sure that the likes of Sunderland and Leeds spent years turning their noses up at their managerial appointments all throughout their declining years under the misconception that they were still big clubs.

He appears to have a brand of football that is honest and entertaining without the classroom nonsense we've suffered in recent times. He will undoubtedly be a selling point to possible new plays. For me, even if they ultimately get this wrong, this seems to be the first decision that this appalling ownership have made regarding managing any of our teams, that I have found encouraging.
Really hope his brand of football is entertaining. Over the last twenty years or so, we must have had the most pragmatic, dull style out there. More so than any of our competitors. Tolerable when we are winning things, less so when mid table. The amount of games I’ve bailed out of early. No atmosphere. Boring football…

 
Do people actually have confidence that Alonso, given the job will be allowed to pick his best/preferred 11 each week as opposed to the tombola approach we’ve seen this last season or so?

At only 44 and with the prospect of the Liverpool job hovering, and the dysfunctional sh*t show that is BlueCo Chelsea, I would not be even slightly surprised to see us struggle and him leave or be sacked (or whatever it was that happened with Maresca) before the year ticks over to 2027.

And despite typing all this, I think I’m very nearly past caring in all honesty.
For a few seconds I felt a glimmer of interest flickering....

It may be the gloom of the past 4 years speaking, but I'm preparing myself for the next disappointment. It will take years to clear out the squad garbage. We MUST sign experienced players for the positions that desperately need improvement. The directors MUST not involve themselves in team decisions (and preferably f**k off altogether). I just don't see this happening, he won't get the time he needs. I don't believe Clearwater/Blueco have seen the light and change the current way of running things, it's never been about football with them.

 
We need to sing "never walk alone" really wind the dippers up
Embarrassingly, the Shed regularly sung this, in the 70’s through to early 80’s. Check out on YouTube 1982 us versus them in the FA Cup.

Bit off track, met a bloke yesterday who reminded me of when we alighted at Lime St Station way back. Dodgy looking geyser, rattling a charity tin, f**k all accreditation. “ What’s the Charity?”

“ Disabled kids”

“ What type of disabled kids?”

“ Ones without any legs, like”

 
Good appointment on face value but I still have huge concerns at ownership and DoF level ... have they really changed strategy, or is Alonso just the next scapegoat, albeit one with a better CV ?

I would like to see some board room accountability (i.e. sackings) for the sh*t show season we've just had, but suspect that will all be brushed under the carpet now. The annual "review" process will probably just throw darts at Maresca and Rosenior.

 
Xabi_Alonso_7
Xabi Alonso appointed Chelsea managerChelsea Football Club is delighted to announce the appointment of Xabi Alonso as Manager of the men’s team.

The Spaniard will begin his role on July 1, 2026, having agreed a four‑year contract at Stamford Bridge.

One of the most respected figures in the modern game, Alonso arrives at Chelsea having already experienced coaching at the highest level of European football with Real Madrid and Bayer Leverkusen, where he led the German club to the first league title in their history.

Xabi_Alonso_Bundesliga_title_Bayer_Leverkusen.jpg


Xabi Alonso guided Bayer Leverkusen to a historic unbeaten Bundesliga title in 2023/24

His appointment reflects the Club’s belief in his broad set of experiences, coaching quality and game model, leadership attributes, character and integrity, which were key to the decision to ask him to help lead the next phase of Chelsea’s journey.

He is regarded not only as an outstanding football coach, but also as a proven leader and partner across a number of areas essential to the demands of driving the team.

On his appointment, Xabi said: ‘Chelsea is one of the biggest clubs in world football and it fills me with immense pride to become manager of this great club.

Xabi_Alonso_World_Cup_trophyy.jpg


Xabi Alonso enjoyed an illustrious playing career, winning 17 trophies for club and country, including the 2010 World Cup

‘From my conversations with the ownership group and sporting leadership, it is clear we share the same ambition. We want to build a team capable of competing consistently at the highest level and fighting for trophies.

‘There is great talent in the squad and huge potential at this football club and it will be my great honour to lead it. Now the focus is on hard work, building the right culture and winning trophies.’

Chelsea Football Club looks forward with confidence to the next phase in collaboration with Xabi, united in the determination to bring success to Stamford Bridge, a hallmark of the Club’s history and future.

 
Interesting ... "Manager of the Men's Team"

Welcome Shabby. Good luck son. You're going to need it LOL

 
Good appointment on face value but I still have huge concerns at ownership and DoF level ... have they really changed strategy, or is Alonso just the next scapegoat, albeit one with a better CV ?

I would like to see some board room accountability (i.e. sackings) for the sh*t show season we've just had, but suspect that will all be brushed under the carpet now. The annual "review" process will probably just throw darts at Maresca and Rosenior.
Very interesting that his role is now manager. Some strong messaging going on

Its now official, and yet I dont fully believe that we’ve got him!

 
Back
Top