PL, Bolton vs Chelsea , 06/12/08, 1500 GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree completely. So far we seem to have blooded Di Santo and Stoch out of desperation, rather than any sort of organised development plan, which is NOT the way to do it.

Why they haven't been given 20 mins or so in the games we've been winning easily is beyond all of us, but unless we get off to a flying start on Sat, away at Bolton is perhaps not the best time to give them a start or a good chunk of the game.

 
I’m inclined to agree that Bolton away is not the ideal time to throw in young hopefuls. But when is the best time? I would rather see them get a start, than throw them on when we are 3-0 up and cruising when they have little to prove. It’s a bit like boxing when you have your Audley Harrison’s, Naseem Hahmed’s / Amir Khan’s. Keep giving them easy fights and build them up to be great, then as soon as they come up against anyone any good, they are found wanting.

Owen made his name with that goal against Argentina and Rooney with his goal for Everton v Arsenal. I know you do have to nurture young talent, but what’s the point in wrapping them up in cotton wool?

As I’ve already said, with injuries and supposed first team regulars under-performing, NOW is as good a time as any to throw in a youngster or two.

 
As I’ve already said, with injuries and supposed first team regulars under-performing, NOW is as good a time as any to throw in a youngster or two.
Deco has done nothing to earn his place in this game. I would also put Ivanovic instead of Bosingwa and give Alex the central D role. Ballack and Lampard should play. These Bolton games are their cup of tea. I would also consider giving Cole's place to Bridge. I really hope Joey can play in this one.

I really hate if Scoari doesn't put bigger men in the pitch today. If Paolo plays I really start to wonder what goes inside LFS's brain.

 
Deco has done nothing to earn his place in this game. I would also put Ivanovic instead of Bosingwa and give Alex the central D role. Ballack and Lampard should play. These Bolton games are their cup of tea. I would also consider giving Cole's place to Bridge. I really hope Joey can play in this one. I really hate if Scoari doesn't put bigger men in the pitch today. If Paolo plays I really start to wonder what goes inside LFS's brain.
Joey's still out according to SSN. Hoping for the same formation as against Arsenal, except Malouda for Deco, something I'd never expect me to say. Deco dropped to the bench and Stoch on the bench to play at least 15 mins.

 
Here's the team news:

Luiz Felipe Scolari has recalled centre-back Alex to face Bolton in the only change from the side defeated by Arsenal last weekend.The Brazilian defender returns to the line-up in place of Branislav Ivanovic, making his first appearance since the Carling Cup fourth round tie with Burnley on November 12.

With Joe Cole still absent, Salomon Kalou and Deco continue in the wide areas, with Florent Malouda missing out due to injury.

Didier Drogba completes his three-match suspension this afternoon, and so Nicolas Anelka continues alone up front.

Chelsea will line-up in a 4-1-4-1 formation as follows:

1 Petr Cech

17 José Bosingwa

33 Alex

26 John Terry ©

3 Ashley Cole

12 John Mikel Obi

21 Salomon Kalou

13 Michael Ballack

8 Frank Lampard

20 Deco

39 Nicolas Anelka

Substitutes: 23 Carlo Cudicini, 2 Branislav Ivanovic,19 Paulo Ferreira, 27 Mineiro, 44 Michael Woods,16 Scott Sinclair, 43 Miroslav Stoch.

Bolton are expected to line-up in the following 4-1-4-1 formation:

Jaaskelainen; Steinsson, Cahill, A O'Brien, Samuel; Muamba; Davies, Nolan ©, McCann, Taylor; Elmander.

Subs: Al Habsi, Gardner, sh*ttu, Basham, Smolarek, Riga, Obadeyi.

The referee is Howard Webb.
Good to see 3 youngsters on the bench but we know, its just to add up the numbers. Scolari will not be surprising us if he brings on Ferreira for Deco if we are 0-0 at the hour mark.

I'm just hoping he becomes less predictable.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Some youngsters on the bench, although I'm afraid we still won't see any of them joining the match. Even if our only attacking options on the bench are youngsters.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bolton have a player on the bench whose name has been censored by the The Shed End moderators :drinkdrunk:

 
--------------Cech---------------

Boss----Alex-----Terry----Cole

--------------Mikel---------------

Ballack-----------------Lampard

--Kalou---------------Deco------

------------Anelka---------------

Substitutes: 23 Carlo Cudicini, 2 Branislav Ivanovic,19 Paulo Ferreira, 27 Mineiro, 44 Michael Woods,16 Scott Sinclair, 43 Miroslav Stoch

Are we going to bag 4-5 goals? I don't think so. I think we can make 2-3 goals with this lineup. Bolton is on a roll and they have an able goalie.

 
I think we're gonna be lucky to score two, but I hope I'm wrong. Then again, 1-0 to us would do me just fine.

 
Malouda out? Well our missed chances just went down by 83%. Not much offence on the bench, Scotty and Stoch? Is Bridge hurt?

 
Malouda out? Well our missed chances just went down by 83%. Not much offence on the bench, Scotty and Stoch? Is Bridge hurt?
Ferreira can play on either side, so I guess Scolari didn't want to put both him and Bridge on the bench. Even now we have only two attacking options amongst the subs.

 
My fingers are crossed, and hopefully our team play can carry us through. Its funny that the much maligned Malouda is now a last hope

Ferreira can play on either side, so I guess Scolari didn't want to put both him and Bridge on the bench. Even now we have only two attacking options amongst the subs.
its truly shocking to think about. Its Kalou, Anelka, and then a load of kids (though obviously Sinclair has a little more experience)

shockingly thin if we're looking for a goal

 
It's times like this that justify why some youngsters should have been given run outs as late subs earlier in the season.

 
we're not the only ones who are looking thin: scousers dropped Robbie "20 million" Keane to play Kuyt on his own up front

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Anelka!!!

1-0.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top