PL Games to be shown on PPV

dkw

officer dibble of the shed end constabulary
Messages
40,392
Reaction score
23,323
Sounds a good idea, until you see its going to be £15 a game. What a massive rip off that is, especially for anyone who is paying for Sky Sports, BT etc.

 
Below  is the club statement. I don't have Sky Sports but I do have BT Sport. Will need to check my contract with BT.

I'm attending an online meeting of the Chelsea Supporters Trust tomorrow and suspect the announcement on TV broadcasts will come up in discussion. Will let people know. There will be discussions about the future of the stadium and the Chelsea Pitch Owners. Will also report on those.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/10/09/premier-league-confirms-latest-interim-broadcast-arrangements-fo

 
Piss take isn’t it! Already pay through the arse for sky & BT. Luckily there are plenty of links available for streams in the match day thread!
 

I'm attending an online meeting of the Chelsea Supporters Trust tomorrow and suspect the announcement on TV broadcasts will come up in discussion. Will let people know. There will be discussions about the future of the stadium and the Chelsea Pitch Owners. Will also report on those.
Please do!

 
Theres outrage on the BBC website about this, and rightly so. I think this isnt going to fly and or the price will come down. Supporters are incurring plenty of cost already with season tickets, Sky, BT sport etc. This could be the straw that broke the camels back.  

 
I think it's quite likely that this is the "new normal" - Sky sports and BT subscriptions will go down a bit and then all matches will get to be PPV.  It's a much more lucrative funding model in the long run, and eventually the prices will settle down  bit , but never cheap.  And then it will be much simpler to eradicate streaming as any PPV broadcast can be digitally identified as to the purchaser.

It's the way of the world, semi-monopolies maximising their profits.  Amazon and AppleTV will be on the game soon as well.

 
They're living in cuckoo land if they think people are gonna pay 15 quid to watch 1 game on TV

 
Not going to be popular here I guess but: 

Can’t see the problem myself. If you already subscribe to Sky/BT you get the games etc you pay your subscription for.

These are bonus games that you have a choice to watch or not, not a rip off to me you have a choice. 

Agree that £15 might be a bit over the top (£10 would be fair imo) 

people have been so spoilt in lockdown with all games free to air, it wasn’t going to last forever! 
I will certainly be getting our games and if you get 5 mates round it’s £2-50 each hardly going to break anyone.

 
And they wonder why illegal streams and alive and kicking.

In these tough times £.9.99 would be fairer will ALL of the money going to clubs until current deals expire then move to a Netflix model maybe. I suspect Amazon may get more matches next time around  and could see new players Facebook/Disney/YouTube bid along event Netflix and just add to current subscription.

 
Below  is the club statement. I don't have Sky Sports but I do have BT Sport. Will need to check my contract with BT.

I'm attending an online meeting of the Chelsea Supporters Trust tomorrow and suspect the announcement on TV broadcasts will come up in discussion. Will let people know. There will be discussions about the future of the stadium and the Chelsea Pitch Owners. Will also report on those.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/10/09/premier-league-confirms-latest-interim-broadcast-arrangements-fo
Look forward to your feedback, thought about attending but something has come up.

 
Can’t see why anyone should be surprised by this initiative. Football and greed have long been an unwelcome combination. I think in economics it relates to price elasticity of demand theory. Whatever custom they lose by setting higher prices is made up for by the increased revenue from those who are willing to pay. People like me. Sometimes it’s hard not to think that even those who run Chelsea FC look down on paying fans as suckers who can be exploited and milked.

 
And they wonder why illegal streams and alive and kicking.

In these tough times £.9.99 would be fairer will ALL of the money going to clubs until current deals expire then move to a Netflix model maybe. I suspect Amazon may get more matches next time around  and could see new players Facebook/Disney/YouTube bid along event Netflix and just add to current subscription.
You can't just delete Sky and BT from the game, they are the major payers, they've put billions into the game via their subscribers, how do you think the EPL clubs became so rich ? Streaming the games doesn't compare to the experience you get down a sat dish, unless you pay for premium services. Nothing beats actually going to the game, but 2nd best is watching it on SKY/BT on the big TV at home or in the pub. Straming it on Amazon or netflix on Ipads and laptops just isnt the same.

 
You can't just delete Sky and BT from the game, they are the major payers, they've put billions into the game via their subscribers, how do you think the EPL clubs became so rich ? Streaming the games doesn't compare to the experience you get down a sat dish, unless you pay for premium services. Nothing beats actually going to the game, but 2nd best is watching it on SKY/BT on the big TV at home or in the pub. Straming it on Amazon or netflix on Ipads and laptops just isnt the same.
It's not like Amazon and Netflix are confined to small devices though. I can watch Amazon and Netflix on a big tv just like I could with Sky and BT. A Smart TV, Firestick, console, laptop, pc, they all connect to a big tv fine. I don't see how watching Amazon or Netflix on a Firestick or Smart Tv would be any worse than watching it on Sky or BT.

I think how much it costs to watch to Premier League football is absurd to be honest, even back when Sky had it all to themselves it was very expensive, now that BT, Amazon and PPV is around, it's way out of my price range. Illegal streaming is booming and that won't be changing if things continue like this.

 
It's not like Amazon and Netflix are confined to small devices though. I can watch Amazon and Netflix on a big tv just like I could with Sky and BT. A Smart TV, Firestick, console, laptop, pc, they all connect to a big tv fine. I don't see how watching Amazon or Netflix on a Firestick or Smart Tv would be any worse than watching it on Sky or BT.

I think how much it costs to watch to Premier League football is absurd to be honest, even back when Sky had it all to themselves it was very expensive, now that BT, Amazon and PPV is around, it's way out of my price range. Illegal streaming is booming and that won't be changing if things continue like this.
Don't you feel slightly uncomfortable not paying the clubs anything to watch their football ? 

I watch illegal streams, but i also subscribe to BY and Sky, i have no problems with people streaming illegally if they cant afford to subscribe, but if we all did that the bottom would fall out of the sport a bit sharpish.

 
I know Sky and BT charge you for their subscriptions then make you pay for Boxing/UFC events. 

The only difference is they're a lot more rare, expecting PPV's every week? Absolute pure greed and to the people who pay it you're absolute mugs. 

 
Back
Top