Sensible thoughts on who is going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ashley Cole Difficult one. He's 31 now and theoretically could have a good few seasons left in him, but it appears he is on the wane. Personally, I would keep him. If we were to lose him, we would either have to be convinced that Bertrand were ready, or we would have to sign a replacement, thus stifling Bertrand's progress. Hopefully next season we see more of Bertrand and Cole is allowed to rest more, which is as it should be. A lot of our players appear on the wane but I believe it is a result of bad management over the last 2 years, and they have more to give than they are showing. Cole is a winner, he is experienced, I think he should be kept on, not only so he can perform but also so Bertrand can learn from him. Phase him out rather than get rid, that's my opinion.

Michael Essien Again, I would keep him. People writing him off are being way too premature. He looked good in his first one or two games back, then undoubtedly his level dropped, but that's to be expected. He isn't match-fit, not by a long stretch. He looks heavier than he used to and he isn't sharp, but he has hardly played any games. People are being overly-pessimistic in my view. He may never be the Essien of old, sadly, but he can still be a top performer possibly, and wouldn't you rather wait and find out? Of course you would. Even if he converts to a DM, I'm pretty sure he will be as good as any in that position. Patience, people.

Frank Lampard He stays and anyone that says otherwise is mad. He may no longer be able to play every match, but we would be mad to sacrifice what he has to offer. What does he have to offer? Incredible determination, a winner's mentality, a real passion for Chelsea, goals goals and more goals, and experience. He is an asset to the club and should he leave he will be inundated with offers. He is our very own Golden Balls. He is good for the image of the club, he is wholesome and the kids love him. Don't lose him. Underachieved possibly in recent times but as I've said, don't underestimate the part bad management has played in that. Lampard looks after himself, he wants that scoring record, he wants 100 caps for England. My guess is that he'll get it. Would Man Utd let go of Lampard? Would they heckers like.
I totally get where you are coming from DB but do think you have let sentiment cloud your judgement. There are some tough calls to be made, particularly where Cole and Lamps are concerned. You say Man Utd wouldn’t discard Lamps and maybe you’re right but they do seem to have a record of being able to keep their players happy even when their playing time is limited. Maybe it’s good man management, maybe the players know that there are probably no bigger clubs to play for so better to play now and again for Utd than more often for someone else?

With Lamps it all boils down to the next manager and how he handles it. Lamps cannot play every game now – we all know that. He might start some matches or come on in others or be rested completely. As long as he is happy with that and fully accepts it with no pressure on anyone then he should stay. If not then he has to go. This situation could also be the same for Cole. We have to accept that his form has dipped and he is unlikely to become the ultra-consistent left-back he once was. He’s still good, but he is in decline and we have both Bertrand and PVA ready to try and fill his boots and they need experience.

Essien is a totally different matter. He is nothing like the player he once was and all the time we keep him in the squad it is blocking the way of others who are more deserving. My issue is if we keep all three of them and the new manager is even a tad weak when it comes to team selection, it will be like this season all over again. If they are still in the squad, the temptation will always be there to play them. Sometimes you just have to make a clean break and move on.

I agree with all the rest though!

 
I feel people are being far too quick to write off Essien. He has only had a handful of games since returning from long term injury and I don't think that is anything like enough evidence to be able to conclude that he is never going to get back to the player he was.

He is only recently turned 29 and I would prefer to keep him and see if, and to what extent, his game recovers after playing a good number of games and having a pre-season to work on his game. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we see him commanding the midfield again next season.

 
But Loz, I think you're over-looking just how bad the injuries he has suffered have been. Career-ending injuries going back a few years before medical technology improved.

I think it's a similar situation to Joey Cole after his bad knee injury. He could still do a job but was never going to be the player he once was and Essien has now had that x 2. No way of knowing for sure and I guess it's whether you're willing to give him the chance but going on what I've seen, I think we'd be better off with a fresh pair of legs.

 
With the likes of Lamps and Cole staying i think it depends on who the next manager will be. IF we got Jose back then i would say keep them but any other manager then they need to go.

 
I totally get where you are coming from DB but do think you have let sentiment cloud your judgement. There are some tough calls to be made, particularly where Cole and Lamps are concerned. You say Man Utd wouldn’t discard Lamps and maybe you’re right but they do seem to have a record of being able to keep their players happy even when their playing time is limited. Maybe it’s good man management, maybe the players know that there are probably no bigger clubs to play for so better to play now and again for Utd than more often for someone else?

With Lamps it all boils down to the next manager and how he handles it. Lamps cannot play every game now – we all know that. He might start some matches or come on in others or be rested completely. As long as he is happy with that and fully accepts it with no pressure on anyone then he should stay. If not then he has to go. This situation could also be the same for Cole. We have to accept that his form has dipped and he is unlikely to become the ultra-consistent left-back he once was. He’s still good, but he is in decline and we have both Bertrand and PVA ready to try and fill his boots and they need experience.

Essien is a totally different matter. He is nothing like the player he once was and all the time we keep him in the squad it is blocking the way of others who are more deserving. My issue is if we keep all three of them and the new manager is even a tad weak when it comes to team selection, it will be like this season all over again. If they are still in the squad, the temptation will always be there to play them. Sometimes you just have to make a clean break and move on.

I agree with all the rest though!
Good point regarding Utd, maybe it's easier to keep their aging stars happy because of Fergie and the fact they are Utd and likely to win the main prize every time, however Lampard has Chelsea very much in his heart and he wants the scoring record, be sure of that. He feels he can go on as long as Scholes, and for that to happen, he needs to be rested, he will understand that, particularly if the manager has authority. Lampard is a no-brainer. Absolutely must stay. A good manager will know how to utilise him and utilise him he will. Every single club in the world would take him. Every single one. I've spoken to them and they've confirmed it for me. That was a lot of phone calls.

Regarding the LB situation, Bertrand is nowhere near ready to compete at the level we want him to. Good prospect but from what I have seen he still needs to learn the basics of defending. He needs more game-time, sure, but if we are to depend on him next season we could be in trouble, and we could expose him, which wouldn't do him any good. Again, no brainer. He plays more bread and butter games, Cole welcomes the rest, teaches Bertrand all his tricks (not all Ashley, behave), and plays at his optimim more regularly because he is being deputised. The options are get rid of Cole and depend on a youngster, which is dangerous, or keep Cole and phase him out while phasing in the youngster, which seems more prudent. We cannot depend so much on Cole but neither should we fritter away what we have, which is a player still able to compete at the top level with the right management. Alternatively, we sell Cole and buy a world-class LB, but where does that leave Bertrand?

Essien, you may well be right, but I stick to what I've said, and what Loz has said above. Let's see what he's got. It's too early to judge. He's been absent an awful lot and we can't expect too much too soon. You can't just come back from two major injuries and perform at a high level consistently straight away, it's impossible. We need to have a look, and that means giving him a fair chance, then we decide. Right now, if we were in the CL final, he makes my first team, though I would rest him in many other games. I know you think we can sign better and you may well be right, but let's find out. As I've said, Mikel and Meireles are dispensable as far as I'm concerned. Not Ess. Not yet anyway.

I think the key to your post is in regard the manager. You have got it spot on. No "people-pleasers" need apply, and for me, RDM is not the man for the job, whatever happens this season, though that may seem harsh. It is far easier being a caretaker than taking the job full-time, there is often a "bounce", and we have a very important summer ahead of us.

 
It's about letting the dead flesh go and keeping the motivated players.

Scenario 1: Drogba alone wins the semi-final against Barcelona and score the winner in the CL final. Keep or not keep? He's been unmotivated, lazy and demands high wages. Personally I don't think the "striker-competition" with Drogba is good for anyone. Wilkins was a guest on a Norwegian TV "show" and was quick to point out that Drogba takes space. Huge space. I would like to see him leave, and I think it's almost certain as well.

Scenario 2: Lampard wants to play higher up the pitch to score more. If he wants that, we need to change our formation to the boring 4-3-3 again. He's not good enough to be the player we build around anymore, but it's a keeper. He brings experience to the squad. If he can adapt to the deeper playmaking role we could have ourselves a Scholes or Xavi.

As for Malouda and Bosingwa, they need to go. Malouda is unmotivated and slow, Bosingwa is just not good anymore. We can't let too many experienced players go, then we'll lose a lot of points in the hard "struggle-matches". So, two-three and maybe four players out, two or three (young) players in.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
But Loz, I think you're over-looking just how bad the injuries he has suffered have been. Career-ending injuries going back a few years before medical technology improved.

I think it's a similar situation to Joey Cole after his bad knee injury. He could still do a job but was never going to be the player he once was and Essien has now had that x 2. No way of knowing for sure and I guess it's whether you're willing to give him the chance but going on what I've seen, I think we'd be better off with a fresh pair of legs.
Fair point Nibs although I don't see it as quite as doom and gloom as you do. Essien's injury was admittedly the worse knee injury you can get and has ended the careers of players in the past however there are a number of players who had the same or very similar injury longer ago than Essien and made successful comebacks. RVN, Roy Keane and Pires all spring to mind and I am sure there are others. Gascoigne also suffered it and came back although admittedly not to the same standard consistently however that was probably as much to do with other reasons as it was the knee injury.

What is entirely true though, regardless of whether he gets back to his best, or near it, is that once you get cruciate knee damage once, and then twice in Essien's case, the likelihood of it happening again is much increased.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well the club is going downhill as is obvious with the league position and number of points we have this season.

Its been obvious for years that we were underinvesting. Underinvesting has a very clear meaning. The market value of the team is declining. Depreciation on the ageing players exceeds the sums spent on new players and the increase in value of young players.

You have to keep the investment up if you want to stay at the top.

We need both the manager and the new players. This thread is not about replacements though, its about who should go.

 
If the only activity is that we get kalou and meireles out I will start to believe that the decision makers upstairs have some remote understanding of what our team actually needs

 
The players who should stay: Cech, Bertrand, Cole, Terry, Cahill, Luiz, Ivanovic, Ramires, Mata, Sturridge

The rest can f**k off.

 
For 60 minutes today, Kalou looked our most dangerous player. he won the penalty ffs. I know he missed that open header but good lord, he has been much better since RDM started playing him again.

What the board needs to see is that we are static in midfield and produce almost nothing from the wings.

Subtract some of the older, slower players, add youth on the wings and a pair of midfielders one of them world class. A grafter like Dempsey would be a good place to start.

 
Kalou is f**king awful, there is no two ways about it. Yes he runs at people, which is something no-one else does really, but he loses it 9 times out of 10. There is no way he would be getting games at another "top" club.

 
*rubs hands together* right lads, I'm going to point you in the direction of my previous post where I listed:

Ash

Kalou

Malouda

Lampard

Drogba

Bosingwa

Ferreira

Mikel

Essien

Meireles

I think after that performance not many will disagree

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know where people are getting the hope and quoted figure from, but remain very skeptical about the links to Robben.
Agree, I think he may of just signed a new contract too (could be wrong, may have just been offered one).

Clear out list:

Bosingwa - liability

Ferreira - never use him so a waste of wages

Cole - falling away and stopping PVA and Bertrand from progressing.

Miereles - crime against football

Essien - saddens me greatly to include him but I can't see him coming back into form

Drogba - another player that I'm sad to include, but he doesn't seem as interested and is holding us from moving into a new future

Kalou - has never really convinced me he deserves to be at the club

Malouda - old, inconsistent, and now rarely even used

I also think that Lampard needs to maybe accept that he won't start every game. We can't play him every game but it would break my heart if he left. If he could stay on as an occasional starter and as an impact sub though, just as Giggs and Scholes do at united, then I would be very happy.

 
Not gonna bother listing the names yet again as it's all too apparant the players who are just not good enough. We're getting out-passed and being made to look fairly average by teams like Wigan and Fulham. We need 3 or 4 players who are comfortable on the ball and who don't turn and pass it backwards every time they receive it like we witnessed about a million times tonight, even in the last few minutes when we NEEDED A f**kING GOAL!!

 
Feel like banging my head on the wall every time I hear Lamps should accept a role like Giggs or Scholes. Different skill set and Lamps main strength was arriving deep in the box which he is not doing anymore. He has also been average when playing from deep.

Assuming we miss out on Europe this season, I am afraid his 150k/wk wages becomes unsustainable for what we get in return. Legend he might be but I reckon a proper assessment is needed at the end of the season.

 
*rubs hands together* right lads, I'm going to point you in the direction of my previous post where I listed:

Ash

Kalou

Malouda

Lampard

Drogba

Bosingwa

Ferreira

Mikel

Essien

Meireles

I think after that performance not many will disagree
You cant really say after that performance and include, Cole, Essien, Ferreira, Bosingwa and Malouda seen as they didnt play.

But Kalou, Malouda, Bosingwa, Ferreira, Mikel, Meireles ; I wouldn't be sad to see go!

 
Bring in Bielsa, and let him take Muniain and Martinez with him, and buy that little Jordi Alba from Valencia. Let Mata talk nice to him about our fantastic supporters and hot climate, like Torres did with Mata himself. The stamina of our players are directly crap, not to talk about the creativity. Then we'll play like this next year:

Cech

Iva Luiz Terry Cole/Bertie

Muniain Martinez Ramires Alba

Mata

Torres

Play the f**king game on the ground and forget about the long balls up to a lanky big w**ker up front. Let Torres and Studge have the striker position and fill up with youngsters after selling Mikel, Mary Ellis, Kalou, Malouda, Essien, Drogba, Bos and another prick who's lazy.

 
Bring in Bielsa, and let him take Muniain and Martinez with him, and buy that little Jordi Alba from Valencia. Let Mata talk nice to him about our fantastic supporters and hot climate, like Torres did with Mata himself. The stamina of our players are directly crap, not to talk about the creativity. Then we'll play like this next year:

Cech

Iva Luiz Terry Cole/Bertie

Muniain Martinez Ramires Alba

Mata

Torres

Play the f**king game on the ground and forget about the long balls up to a lanky big w**ker up front. Let Torres and Studge have the striker position and fill up with youngsters after selling Mikel, Mary Ellis, Kalou, Malouda, Essien, Drogba, Bos and another prick who's lazy.
Personally, I would love to see this happen. Sick of watching lacklustre performances with no creativity whatsoever.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top