The 25 Man Squad for 2019-2020

Scott Harris

Legend
Messages
44,816
Reaction score
33,254
Just over 2 weeks until the Premier League season begins now, what does everybody think our 25 man squad will be?

We have a few too many non homegrown players at the moment, so a few will need to be sold or loaned out. 

This would be my squad:

GK - Kepa Arrizabalaga, Willy Caballero, Jamie Cumming

LB - Emerson Palmieri, Marcos Alonso

RB - Cesar Azpilicueta, Reece James

CB - Antonio Rudiger, David Luiz, Andreas Christensen, Kurt Zouma

CM - N'Golo Kante, Mateo Kovacic, Jorginho.

AM - Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Ross Barkley, Mason Mount

LW - Callum Hudson-Odoi, Willian

RW - Christian Pulisic, Pedro

ST - Olivier Giroud, Michy Batshuayi, Tammy Abraham

16 non-homegrown and 8 homegrown.

This leaves one spot left in the squad. We can either go with another homegrown player in Danny Drinkwater, or fill the gap with one more non-homegrown player. So it will be between Drinkwater, Zappacosta, Bakayoko or Kenedy. I wouldn't be surprised if Lampard went with Kenedy because he can play multiple positions and has played in all of our pre season games so far.

It's time to sell (but I am sure the majority will be loaned out again) Baba Rahman, Lewis Baker, Lucas Piazon, Matt Miazga and Izzy Brown, they have no future with us. Also, just sell Michael Hector, Kenneth Omeruo and Van Ginkel to anybody that will take them.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd honestly see if we can get DD and Baka to move on, but I can't see anyone paying for them TBH.  I think Kenedy ticks too many boxes with his versatility.

 
Unless the rules have changed, some of those players won't count as homegrown or non-homegrown, but rather as U21s. If that's true, that leaves space for a bigger squad.

Assuming that's true, Zappacosta will stay IMO, at least till January, as James is currently injured. Like you I also think Kenedy will stay, particularly as CHO is currently injured. I think it will depend on whether Kenedy signs a new deal however, as he's in his final year. If not, the club will possibly decide to sell.

I actually think it's a really strong squad and we will have a really good season with a really good vibe. A lot depends on Pulisic and CHO giving us an attacking edge. They could make us a very exciting side. They'll certainly have the fans behind them.

Edit: We could be only one season away from seeing a Chelsea side featuring James, Tomori, Christensen, Ampadu, Mount, RLC, CHO and Tammy. Just imagine the buzz. It would be unreal.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Agree he ticks a lot of boxes but thought Kenedy has looked absolutely woeful this pre season.

 
Edit: We could be only one season away from seeing a Chelsea side featuring James, Tomori, Christensen, Ampadu, Mount, RLC, CHO and Tammy. Just imagine the buzz. It would be unreal.
Would be fantastic!  But we mut remember, next summer we're going to have a lot of money to spend and if we want to get back to being title and CL contenders, an expensive, world class striker will be top of the list. Tammy might do a good job for us this season, but he's not going to be world class anytime soon. 

 
I'd honestly see if we can get DD and Baka to move on, but I can't see anyone paying for them TBH.  I think Kenedy ticks too many boxes with his versatility.
There's no point keeping deadwood. So imho the club should accept loses on them and sell them for a modest returns and get them off the wage bill. Plus Baba Rahman and a few others who are never going to make it at Chelsea

 
Unless the rules have changed, some of those players won't count as homegrown or non-homegrown, but rather as U21s. If that's true, that leaves space for a bigger squad.

Assuming that's true, Zappacosta will stay IMO, at least till January, as James is currently injured. Like you I also think Kenedy will stay, particularly as CHO is currently injured. I think it will depend on whether Kenedy signs a new deal however, as he's in his final year. If not, the club will possibly decide to sell.

I actually think it's a really strong squad and we will have a really good season with a really good vibe. A lot depends on Pulisic and CHO giving us an attacking edge. They could make us a very exciting side. They'll certainly have the fans behind them.

Edit: We could be only one season away from seeing a Chelsea side featuring James, Tomori, Christensen, Ampadu, Mount, RLC, CHO and Tammy. Just imagine the buzz. It would be unreal.
I forgot that it's under 21 and not under 18. It leaves open a spot for Drinkwater but it still means we would need to pick one of Zappacosta, Bakayoko and Kenedy, you can only include 17 non homegrown players in the 25 man squad. Kenedy seems like the obvious choice at this point.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot that it's under 21 and not under 18. It leaves open a spot for Drinkwater but it still means we would need to pick one of Zappacosta, Bakayoko and Kenedy, you can only include 17 non homegrown players in the 25 man squad. Kenedy seems like the obvious choice at this point.


If you're right and there's only room for one more, then agreed Kenedy could get the nod. However are you sure there's 16 non-homegrown players in your list? I'm assuming you've picked 2 of Pulisic, Zouma and Christensen as non-homegrown. Which 2, and are you sure they're not homegrown? I'm asking because I'm not exactly sure what the criteria is.

 
If you're right and there's only room for one more, then agreed Kenedy could get the nod. However are you sure there's 16 non-homegrown players in your list? I'm assuming you've picked 2 of Pulisic?, Zouma and Christensen as non-homegrown. Which 2, and are you sure they're not homegrown? I'm asking because I'm not exactly sure what the criteria is.
Ah yes, Pulisic isn't 21 yet. So we are good for another spot.

 
From the names  in the original post in respect of the PL squad there are 15 NHG, 4HG and 5 U 21 players listed

NHG.   Kepa, Willy, Emerson, Alonso,Dave,Willian,Kante,Kovacic, Jorgino,Pedro, Giroud,Batshuayi,Rudiger, Luiz& Zouma

HG. RLC, Barkley, Abraham & Christensen 

Under21. Cummings,CHO, Mount, Pulisic &James ( These players don’t  need to be named in the 25 man over 21 year old squad.)

That means 6 spaces still available squad but 4 of that number are reserved for HG players.

When it comes to the CL slightly different rules exist. 

Pulisic wont qualify as an under 21 player so he will count as a NHG player.

For CL 4 of the HG berths are reserved  for club trained players , we only have two that I am 100% on and they are Tammy &RLC. I think there is a third namely  Christensen. 

So  for the CL we have available spots as follows:

One NHG  . My guess will be taken by one of the following  Kennedy, Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Piazon or Van Ginkel 

One  possibly two HG and Club trained . Not sure who would fill this berth but could be someone like Kasey Palmer the second would be Christensen if indeed he does qualify as Club trained

Three HG . Probably won’t fill all of these spots I suspect Drinkwater and by default Christensen may take one of these spots if indeed he doesn’t count as club trained.

Hope that helps

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't mind seeing Bakayoko get another chance. I understand why a lot of Chelsea supporters will not want to see that, but his history at several clubs, including AC Milan and his perpetuity to start incredibly slow but build into a team and win a starting spot intrigues me. Like I said, I understand why a lot want to see him go out on loan or to be sold.

WAGNH had a nice preview to the season under Frank Lampard and what we might be able to expect from each position: https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/features/2019/7/16/20695928/frank-lampards-chelsea-year-one-midfield-two-and-box-to-box This article focuses on a box-to-box midfielder and the midfield 2 position (in a three man midfield) and has some good information if anyone is interested in reading it and hasn't. It is a little bit of a read but very interesting.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
My picks would be....

Kepa, Caballero, Cumming

James, Zappacosta

Rudiger, Luiz, AC4, Tomori

Azpi, Emerson/Alonso

Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Drinkwater (he's going nowhere and there's worse emergency 4th choices)

Mount, Barkley, Ruben

Pulisic, Odoi, Pedro, Willian

Giroud, Tammy, Batshauyi

 
I am not gonna try and guess who's gonna make the final cut but there is one player I would do not want to make it and thats Willian. The guy gives me the creeps everytime I see him play cuz 90% of the time, there is just a shirt and a pair of shorts walking down the pitch, nothing else. I have always thought that he does not have what it takes to play for us and has been a mistery for me that 3 coaches have been counting on him. Just offload him, along with Danny and Baka and give van Ginkel a chance to prove his worth. 

But who am I to judge. I am only hoping that my man Bats would get his chance to prove that he is a top tier material and can actually lead our offense instead of paying sh*tload of money and bring in another flop. 

 
Willian is going to give what he has given us all these years. He has brilliant ball control, first touch, ability to hold on the ball, dead ball skills and decent dribbling skills. He is also very experienced. With a squad of young players we need that too. He will not be Hazard but we know what we get playing him. Again Willian is not a problem in our squad in any means but he will not fill our (expected) goal scoring void either.

 
I think this season we will need Willian. If we are hoping to rely on Willian for goals this season it will be a long one regardless. But Willian, however frustrating he may be, will bring quality to our team. While his final product isn't that of Hazard or even Pedro, he does well to retain possession and he is very good on the ball.

Once CHO is back and gets to full match playing fitness, my hope is Pulisic and CHO will be our primary wingers with Willian and Pedro as the backups. But until he is back I imagine we will be seeing a lot of him and Pedro unless another young player steps up and takes playing time away from one of them. 

 
My picks would be....

Kepa, Caballero, Cumming

James, Zappacosta

Rudiger, Luiz, AC4, Tomori

Azpi, Emerson/Alonso

Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Drinkwater (he's going nowhere and there's worse emergency 4th choices)

Mount, Barkley, Ruben

Pulisic, Odoi, Pedro, Willian

Giroud, Tammy, Batshauyi
So do you think we should sell Zouma then? I would include Zouma in my squad and loan Tomori to a premier league team if I could. I would also include Baka, but other than those two players I think you're probably got the squad down if it were up to me. 

 
So do you think we should sell Zouma then? I would include Zouma in my squad and loan Tomori to a premier league team if I could. I would also include Baka, but other than those two players I think you're probably got the squad down if it were up to me. 
Zouma's never personally been my cup of tea but even factoring that out having a defender that could command £40m minimum as 4th choice is a waste of resources.

A transfer to Everton makes all parties a winner for me.

 
Back
Top