The Beer Thread

Good to get the update on your cider, and look forward to hearing when you get the taste right.

I had forgotten how strong the Belgian beers could be, 8.5%!
ok mate, I will be breaking out my kettle & making my dedication brew for Eden Hazard. I am calling the brew, Eden's Gold. Here is the recipe, but I might tweek it when I arrive to my homebrew store, due to the available ingredients. First thing, I want to use this power Yeast from Imperial Labs called Napoleon. I guess Napoleon was in Belgium for a minute in real life. I guess this yeast strain destroys the sugars. Everything should be all done by Xmas. I will let you know how it goes, but I think it's going be like the Real Eden & it will be Top Notch!!!

 
ok mate, I will be breaking out my kettle & making my dedication brew for Eden Hazard. I am calling the brew, Eden's Gold. Here is the recipe, but I might tweek it when I arrive to my homebrew store, due to the available ingredients. First thing, I want to use this power Yeast from Imperial Labs called Napoleon. I guess Napoleon was in Belgium for a minute in real life. I guess this yeast strain destroys the sugars. Everything should be all done by Xmas. I will let you know how it goes, but I think it's going be like the Real Eden & it will be Top Notch!!!
Haha, Napoleon's  career was ended in Belgium at Waterloo.

Eden's Gold, a great name for a beer though, has a good ring to it 

 
Was in my local pub last night for a couple of beers brewed by a local brewer. Was told by the landlord that the hops for the beers were grown in the brewer's back garden. Always good to support a local business. 

 
I'll have to treat myself to a bottle of this. I have a bottle (un-opened) of the 25th anniversary bottle.

https://beertoday.co.uk/thomas-hardys-ale-50th-anniversary-1018/

The 50th anniversary brew of Thomas Hardy’s Ale has been released — this year the beer will be available via Laithwaite’s.

Thomas-Hardys-Ale-2018.jpg
In 1968 — the 40th anniversary of the death of the famous British writer and poet Thomas Hardy — some prominent members of Dorchester society founded a cultural association, the Thomas Hardy Society, to promote his works.

Among these there was the Pope family, owner of the Eldridge Pope brewery, who decided to celebrate the event by giving life to the historical Strong Ale described by the artist in his novel The Trumpet Major.

Hardy wrote: “It was of the most beautiful colour that the eye of an artist in beer could desire; full in body, yet brisk as a volcano; piquant, yet without a twang; luminous as an autumn sunset; free from streakiness of taste; but, finally, rather heady. The masses worshipped it, the minor gentry loved it more than wine…”

Numbered and vintage-dated — given the predisposition of this barley wine to age in the cellar for decades — the 1968 Thomas Hardy’s Ale was meant to be a one-off, but production continued in subsquent years.

Fifty years later, a reborn Thomas Hardy’s Ale, produced by the brewmaster Derek Prentice at Meantime’s London brewery, is finally available on the English market thanks to the collaboration with Laithwaite’s.

With a black label with golden details, the Thomas Hardy’s Ale vintage 2018 keeps its characteristics unaltered: limited edition, numbered labels and predisposition to ageing in the cellar for many, many years. Only the alcohol content varies slightly, reaches 13% ABV.

 
Update on Eden's Gold

  1. I had to change the brew style to a Belgium Dubbel, because I couldn't get the yeast strain that wanted.
  2. I burnt a hole in my grain bag & there is some grains in my wort
  3. I have an Original gravity of 1.086 - I was shooting for an OG of 1.067 - this will a much stronger ale
so far we see how this goes - I will rerack this brew into a 5 gallon carboy (aka secondary fermenter) in a week in order get my wort a bit clearer

Cheers!!!

 
I’m sure @Krc-fan will agree, this part sounds the most Belgian  :good2:
so if everything goes right I should get a ABV of 9.98% - I am worried that the wort will exploded out of the primary fermenter - when I checked on primary this morning before I jetted off to work, the blow-out tube was clogged - I unclogged it & there was air pressure gushing out of it - if this tube clogs again, I am afraid that I will have an explosion  :ohmy:

 
Pub I was in earlier sold west vleteren beer for 10 euros. Thought about it for a second but decided I couldn't justify spending 10 euro on a single beer.

Had a nice Texels Bock beer instead.

 
Was in Canterbury on Tuesday to listen to a history lecture. Whilst in Canterbury I went in to the Thomas Tallis Ale House (takes is name from the 16th English composer). A wonderful pub with a great selection of ales and ciders. Highly recommended to those who like ale and cider. I'll definitely go there again.

Here's the pub's website

http://www.thethomastallisalehouse.co.uk/

 
Update on my Eden's Gold Dubbel - in an effort to clear the brew, I put the wort into a secondary - took a gravity reading & it was 1.024 which means I have a ABV of .....8.14% - I am going to let the wort ferment for a couple of more weeks before I bottle it - hoping to get an ABV of 9 - almost there


 


 

 
This weekend I will begin the bottling process of Eden's Gold. I took a reading & it was 1.014. What does that mean you ask. That means I have a ABV of 9.45% :smile: - I am freakin Ecstatic with this outcome

 
A pint of Eden's Gold

EdensGold_pint2_zpsh6kwvf9k.jpg

doesn't have the best head but tastes great & is real smooth - does have a kick - now for my latest project, My Funky Cider - I have it fermenting currently - check it out

FunkyCider3_zpslbrukwix.jpg


 
Back
Top