The Euro 2016 Thread

Chuffed for Ronaldo and Portugal, there is now no debate about who is the greatest of this generation.

 
Chuffed for Ronaldo and Portugal, there is now no debate about who is the greatest of this generation.
Yup, still Messi.

I will admit Ronaldo's gotten real close though when it looked liked Messi would easily pull away at one point. Got to respect him for that.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chuffed for Ronaldo and Portugal, there is now no debate about who is the greatest of this generation.
I don't know if you watched the Copa America. Messi's performance there was worlds better than Ronaldo's performance at Euros. It's unfortunate that he missed the penalty in the final. Other than that, what he did in the tournament was more impressive than what Ronaldo did. Then again, Messi had better teammates than Ronaldo did. I'm not even sure Ronaldo was Portugal's best player in the tournament, though he was their best player when they really needed him to be. He also performed well in a tournament where other big club scorers (Lewandowski, Muller, Kane etc) were awful, to put it mildly.

I also get the impression that Ronaldo was more of a team player than he has been in the past.

ronaldo after he was subbed lol. gotta love his passion.

https://streamable.com/ys48
Too bad Conte wasn't coaching Portugal. With the two of them, what a touchline sight that would have been!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
He was talking about the way Portugal played which wasn't really very different from the way we did. We sat back with 10 players and hit on the counter. We had to beat some big teams and we djd with our resoluteness and mental toughness. Not with flair. Similar to Portugal.

It was drab but i never complain. We won it fair and square, so who cares. All other fans had the exact comments about anti-football that some guys on here have now.
Yes, that's what I meant. I'm afraid other teams will use this as a blueprint for how to win or advance in a tournament without being that good.

 
For the few people who have insinuated that Ronaldo was exaggerating his injury, this should settle things. Looks like a medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury. Will probably need an MRI to see how serious it is.

I've put it in a spoiler tag for those who are squeamish.

CnB1pP2UEAA_sim.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
For the few people who have insinuated that Ronaldo was exaggerating his injury, this should settle things. Looks like a medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury. Will probably need an MRI to see how serious it is.

I've put it in a spoiler tag for those who are squeamish.

CnB1pP2UEAA_sim.jpg
Unbelievable he tried to play on a for a good 5 minutes after his upper and lower leg had been twisted in opposite directions, Messi probably would have retired on the spot.

 
For the few people who have insinuated that Ronaldo was exaggerating his injury, this should settle things. Looks like a medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury. Will probably need an MRI to see how serious it is.

I've put it in a spoiler tag for those who are squeamish.

CnB1pP2UEAA_sim.jpg
Same injury I had several years ago, a collision injury that hurts like a bar steward. Your knee feels like its empty when you try and walk no it, just horrible. 

As for the abuse he gets, I wish our so called superstar players had half the commitment and will to win that he has. 

 
Decades from now, what moments will you remember from this tournament?

I'll remember that Wales and Iceland got far, but I won't remember any specific moments from their games. I'm already having trouble recalling their games.

I'll remember the hooliganism, but sadly I have a feeling it'll be forgotten within 2 years because Russia will be so much worse.

There were no gripping games or performances that will be remembered even a couple years from now.

The only moment I think will go down as a classic is the hilarious penalty shootout between Germany and Italy.

Pretty awful.

 
Decades from now, what moments will you remember from this tournament?
Robbie Brady's goal against Italy, with the titanic music in the background. And getting soaked in beer when it went in. And getting soaked in beer when Ireland got the early penalty against France. So basically i'll remember being soaked in beer but being too happy to care. 

 
The moment Ronaldo takes out his frustration about his left knee by jabbing the left knee of Adrien Silva (with a marker? Can't tell what that thing in his hand is)

...forgetting that Silva is also on the bench due to an injury to his left knee :ohmy:


 
The KBVB had to do it, but I'm sad to see it.

Belgium have been one of the few sides that have been consistently enjoyable to watch. They rarely park the bus despite having the defenders to do so. They are more expressive than teams that look too systematic and rehearsed such as Germany and Italy. They keep faking to a minimum.

Their game against Wales was the best game I saw in the tournament, and I remember some good games from the World Cup.

I hope they don't go down the route that the other European countries have taken by appointing a manager who can park the bus, but I suspect they will.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top