Tinkerman was ahead of his time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ws6blue

In the Ressies
Messages
535
Reaction score
28
Well actually he was, cos although he got loads stick at the time, many top coaches do it now - including Jose and no one even blinks when 3,4 or 5 player are changed from match to match

I think Jose has 3 tiers to his squad now

Tier 1 is his first pick and that's probably only 4 or 5 players but includes cech, ivanovic, Oscar, Ashley, Ramirez

Tier 2 is the players who he rotates around his core and that includes lamps, mata, schurrle, Eden, Mikel, Cahill, mata

Tier 3 are the fringe players who will get in only as a last resort and that includes Bertrand, schwarzer, willian (so far), de bruyne

Jose seems to be settling now for his first pick and players not in that group are gonna have to work mighty hard to break in

Key to successful rotation? You must have depth in the squad, the authority over the squad and a core group - Jose has these in abundance, so expect plenty changes going forwards

 
There's tinkering, and then there's the match against Monaco...

 
not sure why you have not mentioned the centerbacks who are the most important positions because if they shut out the opposition it means the confidence of that shut out will breed into our forward play.

 
With respect to Ranieri, who I like, he neither invented substitutions, rotation or changing formations, so no I don't think he was ahead of his time, as nothing much has changed except that our squad is stronger and less tinkering is needed.

 
Its tough to say really, he did buy some very good players but he did waste quite a bit also. Like all managers really.

I think he was a good manager for us before Roman but he wasnt good enough for the next level we needed.

 
Agreed but the work he did prior to Roman's arrival and in the first season after Roman bought the club he laid the foundations of a very good side and a lot of his signings were a big part of our back to back titles. 

 
Jose wouldn't have won the league if Ranieri hadn't assembled a quality squad. He's the one who brought in Cech, Lampard, Joe Cole, Duff, Robben, Makelele, etc...

 
I agree with consensus that Claudio made some fantastic signings, and laid the foundations of a title winning side but I disagree with the topic of the thread. 

Most managers change consistently, Ranieri was called the tinkerman because he took it a step further with the changes he made. Some of which were very bizarre.

Also think it's a bit weird saying that he was ahead of his time. He's still alive and still managing...

And although it's incredibly anal, spelling Ramires as Ramirez drives me insane  :Connie_threaten:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jose wouldn't have won the league if Ranieri hadn't assembled a quality squad. He's the one who brought in Cech, Lampard, Joe Cole, Duff, Robben, Makelele, etc...
I doubt he had anything to do with those signings, just as I doubt he had anything to do with the likes of Veron.

I'm sorry mate I disagree with you, Jose doesn't need Ranieri to lay the foundations to win trophies, his record proves that.

 
I doubt he had anything to do with those signings, just as I doubt he had anything to do with the likes of Veron.

I'm sorry mate I disagree with you, Jose doesn't need Ranieri to lay the foundations to win trophies, his record proves that.
Doesn't need? Maybe but Ranieri HAD laid those foundations. He bought Lampard and Makalele who were essential to the title wins, he bought JT through and made him captain despite his young age.

He signed Robben, Duff and Cole whereas Jose signed Wright-Phillips, how much Ranieri was involved in the signings after Roman bought the club who knows but they were made under his management.

 
i think Claudio was a very good manager, and was unlucky to lose his job. he made key signings (not least identifying makelele as the man that would make us tick) but his over-rotation was an issue. in Lampard's auto-biography he talked about how ranieri would use blood tests to determine whether players were fit enough to play/train, rather than the players own knowledge of their bodies and how best to train themselves. he was a hugely important manager in our recent success though, and deserves to be saluted for that

 
A massive turning point for the club and a game I will never forget was dumping Arsenal out the CL at the library .... And his reaction was fantastic.

 
The main problem with his last season is that I always felt he had no idea what our best 11 was. 

 
I doubt he had anything to do with those signings, just as I doubt he had anything to do with the likes of Veron.

I'm sorry mate I disagree with you, Jose doesn't need Ranieri to lay the foundations to win trophies, his record proves that.
He had nothing to do with the signing of Lamps? Then who did? :) You're underestimating him. He may not be a winner but he sure does know how to build a squad.

And José may have not needed it but in fact he did inherit a fantastic squad from Claudio which no doubt helped him a lot to win the PL in both of his first two seasons.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top