What changes would you like to see to our formation and positional set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma

Legend
Messages
14,938
Reaction score
4,435
this is me being simplistic really, and optimistic in giving the chance to a few younger players in our set up, but i would like to see some of the following:

- Hazard to play in the no10 position when oscar isn't available. hell, even give RLC a shot in the no10 role. 

- Traore/Oscar at LW, Hazard central, Moses/Traore RW

- Matic partnered with Traore in the double pivot, with traore pushing up a little more. 

- Hazard - Oscar - Kenedy/Traore/moses

- For certain cup games: Mikel/matic with Colkett in double pivot and a front three of moses/willian - RLC - Traore/Kenedy, then a back four of azpi/ola aina - zouma - ivanovic - baba

Also, something a little different in formation such as 3-1-4-2 with baba, zouma, azpi at back, matic or mikel sat in front of them, hazard, oscar, fabregas, moses/traore and then costa/remy/falcao partnered. 

Like i said, it's all simplistic as it will likely never happen, but if jose is reading then... :rolleyes:   :biggrin:

In an ideal world, what would you like to see changed? 

 
Ivan must be dropped or at the least moved to CB.

He's too much of a liability at the back and leaves so much space for attackers to hurt us.

Ideally Dave will be RB, Baba at LB and Zouma Terry in the middle. (Cahill isn't quick enough to compensate for John in games like yesterday).

Moses or Traore at RW if Willian is starting in the central attacking midfield role. Cuadrado should pack his bags and go back to Italy.

I'd like to see Oscar dropped into midfield in place of Cesc in games where we wont dominate the ball, he will give more graft in that role.

Leave Costa as is but he must improve because he doesn't look remotely dangerous so far.

 
Without talking about which players should come in, I would play a back four of Azpi zouma Terry baba.

We shouldn't need 2 defensive midfielders in there but matic has so much work to do at the moment. I actually put the blame more on ivanovic and a lack of pace, more than on Cesc, who isn't in the team to protect the frailties of the back 4.

Going forward there is a lack of support and quality from both full back areas, which means we have no width, hazard is doubled up on, and there us no space for costa.

I think the added pace, and fullbacks that can naturally provide width would fix alot of the problems we have at the moment.

 
Without talking about which players should come in, I would play a back four of Azpi zouma Terry baba.

We shouldn't need 2 defensive midfielders in there but matic has so much work to do at the moment. I actually put the blame more on ivanovic and a lack of pace, more than on Cesc, who isn't in the team to protect the frailties of the back 4.

Going forward there is a lack of support and quality from both full back areas, which means we have no width, hazard is doubled up on, and there us no space for costa.

I think the added pace, and fullbacks that can naturally provide width would fix alot of the problems we have at the moment.
Good post and echos my thoughts completely

 
.

We shouldn't need 2 defensive midfielders in there but matic has so much work to do at the moment. I actually put the blame more on ivanovic and a lack of pace, more than on Cesc, who isn't in the team to protect the frailties of the back 4.
We can't afford the luxury of playing Fabergas if he can't defend. Surely he is not your typical hard working and strong Mourinho player, so when he offers next to nothing in attack, he is basically defunct.

 
Ivan must be dropped or at the least moved to CB.
I wouldn't play him at CB either after losing the aerial duels he lost yesterday. 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't play him at CB either after losing the aerial duels he lost yesterday.
That's an issue yes.

I just can't see Jose dropping his vice captain so if he HAD to play I'd rather it be there instead of RB.

I think deep down we all know it will be Ivan at RB and Dave at LB for the foreseeable future.

 
                                 Courtois

Dave          Zouma                Terry                Rahman

   

                Fabregas/Oscar          Matic

Moses/Remy                Willian                            Hazard

                                    Costa

 
1) Zouma - he has to replace Cahill, we have problems in the defence and I'm sure in hundred percent that Zouma is the answer for that. ( I think this would be our most important change)

2) Baba Rahman - he's a new player and we all excited to see him. Ivanovic is in really poor form at the moment, I think we should move Azpi to RB and let Baba be LB temporary. ( I really hope Ivanovic will back to his old form, but at the moment he deserves to sit on the bench. This change is temporary because once Ivanovic is returning to his form, Baba will has to be a backup for Azpi this season)

3) Moses and Traore - they both great players in good form, especially Moses after his amazing pre-season. I think Jose should start use them more. Willian is still not 100% fit, Cuadrado is in a poor form as well. The right wing is empty, I expect that Moses or Traore would catch this spot until Willian will reach his form. (This change is for a short period because once Willian returns to his form, it would be hard to replace him. But they got cup games, CL games)

4) RLC - I think he really deserves to play, I'm not saying that he should turn into a starter now, but I want him to play at least 15-20 games this season. I don't know how he would match himself to the team and will find a connection to the players if he doesn't play enough. I think Jose should use him more, at the moment Oscar isn't fit and Fabregas in bad period, it's the right time for him to step up and recover them until they will be 100% fit. (Again, I'm not saying to drop Fabregas to let RLC start all the games, I only think that RLC deserves more time to play)

5) Tactics - Jose is super manager in tactics, the best in the world for me but at the moment we're not on the top of the league and we have to defend our title. I really want us to start playing creative football, attacking football. We got players like Hazard, Fabregas, Oscar, Willian. They're all creative players, intelligent players that would give us a lot more. I like our strong defensive football, but we can't use this tactic in the 2nd match of the season and lose 3-0. We have a lot of good attacking options (Costa, Remy, Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Traore, Moses, Ramires - once he starting to run forward with the ball). We can be very good attacking team and I'm sure our team is good enough to win the league again and run far in the CL.

 
                     Tibo
     Azpi -- Cahill -- JT - Baba

Kenedy -- Mikel -- Matic -- Hazard

                    Oscar

               Diego Costa

 
Last edited by a moderator:
We can't afford the luxury of playing Fabergas if he can't defend. Surely he is not your typical hard working and strong Mourinho player, so when he offers next to nothing in attack, he is basically defunct.
It's not that he can't defend though, it's he's having to defend more than he should, which is detracting from his main abilities. We shouldn't need 2 matic's in the team against 90% of the opposition we play. My post isn't in response to yesterday, it's in response to this calender year as a whole, where I don't think this squad has played to its full potential.

 
If we're going to persist with two holding MFs get a new body in, or push Zouma alongside Matic Cesc the best ball player behind the Striker, Hazard on the left, a proper Right sided winger/ MF, thats the miffield and uptop sorted.

Now for the Back, Get stones at all costs, rahman and Dave respective full backs, then swap Cahill/ JT to suit??

 
It's not that he can't defend though, 
Did you see MOTD when Shearer highlighted the first minute of the game when Silva turned Fabergas in midfield and left him standing ? 

He's soft in the tackle, slow off the mark, crap in the air. But we persist with him because he creates chances, but when that dries up he offers nothing else.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33954640

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't pretend to know more than Mourinho or other professional coaches.....

But I am genuinely worried about Terry & Ivanovi? at the back. Both have been outstanding servants for the club but continue to get older and we were exposed badly for pace against City.

I can't help but think a defensive reshuffle of some kind could be on the cards soon. I don't know if that means the end of some Chelsea careers, player's changing roles, or new acquisitions. But I sense the way we lined up in defence is no longer going to serve us the way it did last season.

 
Last edited:
Ivanovic can't play RB anymore, he either needs to play CB or be dropped.

MF is a problem also but what do we do? This is an area I see a big problem.

We lack width, we need a proper winger.

 
Something has to change, we've become very stale and predictable, everything is so slow and mechanical. We have been pretty crap to watch since January and dont seem to be able to create chances anymore, which is ridicukous given our first 11.

I would like to see a formation tweak to something a bit more attacking, 4-2-3-1 is good for protecting our centrebacks normally, but we are being killed on the wings.

Finally, we need players who can compete with the starting 11. There is next to no fear factor with them and there is no sense of urgency.

 
Dave to RB, Ivanovic to the bench.

I'm also not happy with Matic at the moment. Whether it's because playing with a 2-man DM means they end up shifting respsonsibility to each other, or just he's not playing well, but so many times against City they had a free shot from the edge of the box, with Matic nowhere to be seen.

Willian, although he's a tidy player and is good at keeping possession, needs to be replaced by someone who can actually score or setup a goal.

Costa needs to be dropped as well. All he does is argue and pick fights. Sure if the ball drops to him in the box he'll probably score, but his build-up play and hold-up play is very poor. Watching him and Augero on the same pitch yesterday it was so plain to see how far and above him Augero is in every department.

Fabregas also needs to either step it up or sit it out.

I also thought benching Terry was very harsh, as it appeared to me to be Cahill who was mostly the one being caught out.

So for the next game I would go something like:

Courtois

Azpilicueta   Zouma    Terry    Raahman

Matic

Fabregas  Oscar

Moses  Costa  Hazard

THat is with Matic being the sole holding midfielder, and Fabregas and Oscar playing just ahead of him. Back to the 4-3-3 that we were so successful with in Jose's first spell, not this midfield pivot nonsense.

 
                       Courtois

Azpi     Zouma       Terry    Rahman

            Cesc           Matic

Pedro         Willian        Hazard

                   Costa

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top