Who do we want in January?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope Oscar can improve this season on his consistency. On his day he is brilliant, he just needs to work on having more sustained periods of playing like that. I like the kid and maybe we forget that he's only 22. I just hope he can rediscover the form he has had in patches so far.

If my memory serves me right I believe I remember him playing better at the base of midfield. Can anyone else corroborate this? Problem with that is there are better players in that position.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Varane is the only player I want in January(but only if Zouma isn't at the level yet).

 
I think personally, we still lack depth when you compare us to City's squad. I still think City will end up bottling the big/important games, but it's always good to have some extra strength in depth within a squad. If we added a couple of extra players in key positions, and with Jose as the driving force, we would definitely be the top dog for years. 

 
James Ward Prowse, either in january or in the summer transfer window

 
James Ward Prowse, either in january or in the summer transfer window
Don't think baker is that far behind ward-prowse. Rather give baker the chance since he's been here 10 years, and is the current England u20's captain.

 
Varane is someone I think should be on our radar. Jose rates him as the best young defender in European Football and was the one that brought him to Real. Ramos and Pepe are Ancelotti's favoured pairing there so perhaps Varane might want a change of scenery sooner rather than later. I'm not sure if JT has another season in him after this year, even if he does it would be best to have a replacement waiting in the wings. Cahill, Varane, Zouma and Ivanovic would be a good quartet, with Kalas and Christensen to push them.

I wouldn't say that we necessarily need him but I'm a big Paul Pogba fan and think he could be terrific in the Premiership. A midfield trio of Matic, Fabregas and Pogba would be formidable. Pogba, whilst expensive, would be a significant uprade on Ramires I think. Having him could allow Fabregas to play as the no.10 if need be too more often.

Looking ahead to 2015/2016, I think this is a big season for Oscar. I'm not advocating that we replace him, he's a talented young player who fits Mourinho's system well, but we need him to produce more goals and assists. I do think he's worth perservering with still but we need to see more consistency in terms of goalscoring and making assists. The same goes for Hazard as well, and more so in fact in his case. Ross Barkley is someone that intrigues me a lot in the no.10 position. 

Lastly, I feel we also need to buy another striker for next season. I really doubt Didier has much at all left in the tank. Destro sounds intriguing, maybe Bony or Benteke? Not sure who else there really is in Europe.

 
Take that Messi lad on a six month loan when he inevitably falls out with Suarez.

 
With Petr likely gone come January.. should we have a goalie in our radar?
I think Schwarzer would still be one of the best 2nd choice GK's in the league, and someone who won't complain about playing very infrequently.

 
I think Schwarzer would still be one of the best 2nd choice GK's in the league, and someone who won't complain about playing very infrequently.
I agree I don't think we need to splash out for another goalie. I think Schwarzer is a decent number 2

 
Given it's already been over four days since the end of the summer transfer window, the club could already be behind in its procurement targets for January. A rolling stone gathers no moss, and our club's success is too important for us to gather any footballing moss. We need to look to January to cover the obvious injury holes in our squad.

While on the surface it appears that our squad is relatively robust and bulletproof in its coverage it simply isn't the case if we prod a little harder. Consider our squad like a tank; a tank's armour is impenetrable to arrows, bullets and grenades, but it is still vulnerable to a nuclear warhead. We need to proof our squad against nuclear attack. 

Our travails at striker are pretty well-documented already. Costa, Remy and Drogba are all top-class and provide options for tactical adjustment and rotation, but what happens when both Costa and Remy are injured? Do we rely solely on a 36-year old Drogba?

The midfield is also another area of concern. Currently we only have Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, Willian and Salah, with Ramires and Fabregas able to cover in a pinch. Attacking midfielders are known for getting injured and if it is likely that the aforementioned players will injured at some point through the season, then isn't it also likely they could be injured at the same time? That would leave us extremely short and it is just not an acceptable risk.

I don't mean to be an alarmist but these are the facts. If we are not careful we could see a serious injury crisis leading to a lack of players, and the manager would be forced to promote youth players from the reserve sides- is that really fitting for a club of our ambition?

 
Given it's already been over four days since the end of the summer transfer window, the club could already be behind in its procurement targets for January. A rolling stone gathers no moss, and our club's success is too important for us to gather any footballing moss. We need to look to January to cover the obvious injury holes in our squad.

While on the surface it appears that our squad is relatively robust and bulletproof in its coverage it simply isn't the case if we prod a little harder. Consider our squad like a tank; a tank's armour is impenetrable to arrows, bullets and grenades, but it is still vulnerable to a nuclear warhead. We need to proof our squad against nuclear attack. 

Our travails at striker are pretty well-documented already. Costa, Remy and Drogba are all top-class and provide options for tactical adjustment and rotation, but what happens when both Costa and Remy are injured? Do we rely solely on a 36-year old Drogba?

The midfield is also another area of concern. Currently we only have Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, Willian and Salah, with Ramires and Fabregas able to cover in a pinch. Attacking midfielders are known for getting injured and if it is likely that the aforementioned players will injured at some point through the season, then isn't it also likely they could be injured at the same time? That would leave us extremely short and it is just not an acceptable risk.

I don't mean to be an alarmist but these are the facts. If we are not careful we could see a serious injury crisis leading to a lack of players, and the manager would be forced to promote youth players from the reserve sides- is that really fitting for a club of our ambition?
LOL... we have enough cover in midfield if any players get injured. I mean we have 2 am in each position covered which is more than adequate.

Striking options too are very good I mean compared to last season where we had 53 year old Eto'o as our best striker and Ba and Torres as 2nd and 3rd. I rate 36 y/o Drogba ahead of Torres anyday and Remy too is a significant upgrade on Ba. And we can play Brana as a striker if things goes worse :p even he would be better than Torres.

The only area I'm concerned is defence we should have gone for Varane or Benatia this window but hopefully we get one in Jan.

You could say the same for City what if Kompany and Mangala gets injured? They have only one good CB left even he's no that good Demichilis.

 
Given it's already been over four days since the end of the summer transfer window, the club could already be behind in its procurement targets for January. A rolling stone gathers no moss, and our club's success is too important for us to gather any footballing moss. We need to look to January to cover the obvious injury holes in our squad.

While on the surface it appears that our squad is relatively robust and bulletproof in its coverage it simply isn't the case if we prod a little harder. Consider our squad like a tank; a tank's armour is impenetrable to arrows, bullets and grenades, but it is still vulnerable to a nuclear warhead. We need to proof our squad against nuclear attack.

Our travails at striker are pretty well-documented already. Costa, Remy and Drogba are all top-class and provide options for tactical adjustment and rotation, but what happens when both Costa and Remy are injured? Do we rely solely on a 36-year old Drogba?

The midfield is also another area of concern. Currently we only have Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, Willian and Salah, with Ramires and Fabregas able to cover in a pinch. Attacking midfielders are known for getting injured and if it is likely that the aforementioned players will injured at some point through the season, then isn't it also likely they could be injured at the same time? That would leave us extremely short and it is just not an acceptable risk.

I don't mean to be an alarmist but these are the facts. If we are not careful we could see a serious injury crisis leading to a lack of players, and the manager would be forced to promote youth players from the reserve sides- is that really fitting for a club of our ambition?
The only signings we should be making during January and next summer should be at CB and striker.

Striker for Drogba hanging up his boots and a CB to give us options as JT might not have much left in the tank.

I'd only move for a mdifeilder if Mikel left or if Pogba was a realistic option. We might even go for Khedira in January.

In general though what we have just now is a strong well balanced side who are a big upgrade on what we had last season.

We could play a near enough different team and it would still look pretty strong.

-----------Courtois-----

Ivan-----Cahill---Terry---Azpi

--------Cesc----Matic--------

Willain-----Oscar-------Hazard

-----------Costa-------

and

---------Cech-------

Ivan----Zouma---Cahill----Luis

-------Ramires---Mikel------

Remy------Schurrle------Salah

---------Drogba-------

 
Our squad and first 11 is as strong as it has been since our first Premier league title, so personally I don't 'want' anyone, and I don't currently feel we 'need' anyone either. We solid all over the park!

By January though we could have an injury or two, but for now it's far too early to tell what we may need.

 
We're set until at least January, a defender is a maybe as far as I'm concerned we have pkayers who can step up and personally I'm hoping Kalas is ready next Summer. It all just depends on injuries really.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
On a serious level, is 4 centre-mids really enough for the whole season, seeing as we'll playing a 433 enough of the time? Although I suppose Oscar can slot in if that's the case. Surprised they let MVG go out on loan, but once Cech wasn't going anywhere I don't think there was any real choice. I guess we Ake knocking about if we get that desperate.

 
I think we should sign Varane from Real Madrid and Hector Herrera from Porto.

Varane will be one of the best CB's in about 4 years and Herrera is also (gonna be) a great C(D)M. He was absolutely fantastic at the World Cup for Mexico.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top