World Cup 2014 - Day 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must have an American ancestor somewhere down the line, I have been cheering for the Yanks the past two games, maybe it's because they are the underdogs, where the underdogs should I say.

Either way a draw is a good result, I tried telling a lot of Americans that on twitter, no need to get so upset over it, you would have taken a draw before the game started definitely. The germans have proven to be tactical in the past, wouldn't surprise me if they go for a draw this game and not bother wasting energy upfield. You just need to hope that Ghana don't win and you don't lose by more than 1, other than that I think USA have a good chance of getting through.

 
I must have an American ancestor somewhere down the line, I have been cheering for the Yanks the past two games, maybe it's because they are the underdogs, where the underdogs should I say.

Either way a draw is a good result, I tried telling a lot of Americans that on twitter, no need to get so upset over it, you would have taken a draw before the game started definitely. The germans have proven to be tactical in the past, wouldn't surprise me if they go for a draw this game and not bother wasting energy upfield. You just need to hope that Ghana don't win and you don't lose by more than 1, other than that I think USA have a good chance of getting through.
There is no way Germany will go for a draw. They will want to win their group.

 
Zola, do you remember the Austria-Germany fiasco that occured in the 80s in the WC, I believe?  I don't think either team ventured past the midfield line, and they played to a convenient 0-0 result, to allow both teams to advance to the round of 16.  I don't think that will occur here, but you never know.

 
Another tasty evening of football ahead

Chile, Croatia and the Netherlands have all looked impressive so far and can use tonight to prove their true credentials.

Brazil the favourites  and home nation have under performed so far but will probably need a win to keep on course the Brazil-Argentina final that I would love to see

 
Australia - Spain game should be interesting, I think the Aussies will be well up for it. Hopefully get a good look at Cesc and Costa too.

 
Zola, do you remember the Austria-Germany fiasco that occured in the 80s in the WC, I believe?  I don't think either team ventured past the midfield line, and they played to a convenient 0-0 result, to allow both teams to advance to the round of 16.  I don't think that will occur here, but you never know.
Germany had to win 1-0 to ensure both teams went through ahead of Algeria. The Germans got their goal early and both sides spent the rest of the match leisurely passing the ball around.


 
I must have an American ancestor somewhere down the line, I have been cheering for the Yanks the past two games, maybe it's because they are the underdogs, where the underdogs should I say.

Either way a draw is a good result, I tried telling a lot of Americans that on twitter, no need to get so upset over it, you would have taken a draw before the game started definitely. The germans have proven to be tactical in the past, wouldn't surprise me if they go for a draw this game and not bother wasting energy upfield. You just need to hope that Ghana don't win and you don't lose by more than 1, other than that I think USA have a good chance of getting through.
From my perspective, (and maybe this is because how new I am to football) the end result of the game wasn't really disappointing. If I wouldn't have been able to watch the game, and just checked in for the score and saw a 2-2 draw I would have thought "good, I was hoping for at least a draw, we are in a good spot now". What makes it so gut wrenching is having watched the entire thing, knowing you were 20 seconds away from advancing and then having that ripped away at the last second. That is what strings the most. Now there is actually something to worry about. Ghana looks to be stronger than Portugal in my mind, and could be a threat to us advancing. 

 
Germany had to win 1-0 to ensure both teams went through ahead of Algeria. The Germans got their goal early and both sides spent the rest of the match leisurely passing the ball around.


Well, if that happened, it would be a international scandal. FIFA would probably investigate both teams.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top