Clarkson gone/sacked/not being renewed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The girl could have been the greatest whore who ever walked the streets of London, it still doesn't excuse them ringing up her grandfather the way they did.

If anyone ever rang me up and talked about one of my grandchildren like that, I would go for the jugular!

 
No excuse for what Clarkson did, but it was nothing like as bad as what Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand did to Andrew Sachs, and their careers still seem to be going strong.

I know bugger all about cars, but I do have a sneaking admiration for Jeremy Clarkson's honesty in speaking his mind, even though I often disagree with what he says.
I'm not sure if I would say that what Ross and Brand did was worse than Clarkson, but like with Clarkson their actions were indefensible. At least Brand had the decency to fall on his sword. I believe Ross was suspended for quite a long time but eventually returned to working for the BBC for a while.

 
No excuse for what Clarkson did, but it was nothing like as bad as what Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand did to Andrew Sachs, and their careers still seem to be going strong.
Off the back of that didn't Brand leave BBC Radio and Jonathan Ross didn't get his £8m a year golden handcuff contract renewed. 

Okay they weren't sacked but they weren't on a final warning like Clarkson was.

Both of their careers are still going but it's away from the BBC, it's only through their desire to continue working and doing new projects that they've stayed in the limelight. 

 
It's a rather bizarre outcome where one man can punch another yet the group who ultimately suffers is the BBC's audience/licence fee payers (although they'll move over to whatever Clarkson does next) and the corporation itself, whilst the person who did the punching may well benefit financially as a result of it.

The BBC is poorer for this decision.

 
The difference between what Clarkson did and what Ross/Brand did, is that he lost his temper and impulsively (and inexcusably) punched another man, whereas they planned publicly to humiliate an old man and took great glee in doing so.

 
It's a rather bizarre outcome where one man can punch another yet the group who ultimately suffers is the BBC's audience/licence fee payers (although they'll move over to whatever Clarkson does next) and the corporation itself, whilst the person who did the punching may well benefit financially as a result of it.

The BBC is poorer for this decision.
What makes you say Clarkson might benefit financially? If the BBC have decided not to renew his contract then he shouldn't be entitled to any payout, and Sky have announced (or so I'm told) that they will not be employing Clarkson in any capacity.

I could see him ending up doing some crappy talk show on ITV which eventually bombs, followed by a spell on some crappy commercial radio station before fading into total obscurity, sort of like a real life Alan Partridge. Oh well, I can dream...

 
What makes you say Clarkson might benefit financially? If the BBC have decided not to renew his contract then he shouldn't be entitled to any payout, and Sky have announced (or so I'm told) that they will not be employing Clarkson in any capacity.

I could see him ending up doing some crappy talk show on ITV which eventually bombs, followed by a spell on some crappy commercial radio station before fading into total obscurity, sort of like a real life Alan Partridge. Oh well, I can dream...
The show has over 300 million viewers worldwide and is the most-watched 'factual' show in the world. 

I hope he lands at somewhere like Netflix to be honest. I understand that he's a very polarising person but he's a tremendous example of how working hard can lead to big rewards, something that will add to him being unlikeable to some.

And the BBC can continue to look for diversity over talent.

 
He might be a cocky arrogant man but I can't really say I care about that. What he does in his own time or outside of the show I can't care less about.

I never listen/read about personal life of celebs, just don't care about any of that.

At the end of the day topgear is great entertainment and I'm sad there won't be any new episodes. 

Of course punching a producer is inexcusable but the show will be missed by many.

 
His sacking was inevitable really. Jeremy was on a final warning, then he punched a producer. The BBC had their hands tied yet in the same time they have royally shot themselves in the foot by ridding themselves of their biggest cash cow.

I guess the thing is, what happens to Top Gear now? I can't see Hammond or May staying as they seem close to Clarkson. The three could easily jump ship and set up a rival show on Sky or Netflix.

Chris Evans does seem like the best man for the job but another shout could be Steve Coogan (not Alan Partridge!). They're both massive petrol heads.

If I was the BBC, I'd be inclined to kill off the show in its current format then reinvent it. I do love watching Top Gear but I have found that the latest series' have been a bit tired.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
His sacking was inevitable really. Jeremy was on a final warning, then he punched a producer. The BBC had their hands tied yet in the same time they have royally shot themselves in the foot by ridding themselves of their biggest cash cow.

I guess the thing is, what happens to Top Gear now? I can't see Hammond or May staying as they seem close to Clarkson. The three could easily jump ship and set up a rival show on Sky or Netflix.

Chris Evans does seem like the best man for the job but another shout could be Steve Coogan (not Alan Partridge!). They're both massive petrol heads.

If I was the BBC, I'd be inclined to kill off the show in its current format then reinvent it. I do love watching Top Gear but I have found that the latest series' have been a bit tired.
GUY MARTIN! Whoop whoop.
 
May and Hammond have both said they wouldn't do the show without Clarkson, so it's either they jump over to Sky, or it's done.  Shame as the show was entertaining; however, Clarkson himself is a knobend.  He's dropped racist slurs far too often, and as has been already mentioned, was at the end of his leash for the BBC.  They (the beeb) couldn't have taken this lightly, as it was a huge money earner for them.  I do, however, find it sad that a petition was formed and got millions of signatures in the UK within days.  When there is so much worse out there that we should be petitioning 

 
GUY MARTIN! Whoop whoop.

I like Guy but I just can't see it. I watch his shows a lot and he tends to provide commentary rather than present something, I think he'd struggle on something like Top Gear.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
It surprises me that the BBC can take the high ground where their employees are concerned, I guess their not protected by them for petty stuff like this!

 
I like Guy but I just can't see it. I watch his shows a lot and he tends to provide commentary rather than present something, I think he'd struggle on something like Top Gear.
I know, I doubt he'd be interested as he's too 'normal', but I'm a HUGE fan of his.

 
The real issue for me is that I have absolutely no idea how to pronounce Oisin. Anyone?

 
Thanks, I've been thinking 'Hoi Sin' without the H. Made the fact that the argument was about food a bit funnier.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top