Loaning Benayoun to Arsenal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think we need to quash this silly idea of a "link player". All players should be involved in linking defense to attack, not just one or two, and there needs to be tactical instruction to create a system where this is possible.
They should but they don't. We needed an addition to the Mikel-Ramires-Lampard trifecta who couldn't really cut it at the highest level and left Torres especially completely isolated. Benayoun wasn't starting-XI material but he still was the best we had in that role and instead of getting any kind of upgrade we've shipped him out.

Regardless of your opinion on Benayoun or the role of 'link players', don't you think the nature of the transfer itself is baffling?

 
Well, as I said earlier I would've preferred to have had both Meireles and Benayoun in addition to Mata, making a strong creative trident in the team. I mean imagine a 4-2-3-1 with:

Lampard----Ramires

Benayoun Meireles Mata

That's five players who are capable of linking defense and attack in very different ways. Lampard with passing from deep, Ramires running on the counter-attack, Meireles, Mata and Benayoun with passing and movement. I just don't like the idea of splashing out big on a Sneijder/Modric or relying on Benayoun and saying "hey, you're the link guy, don't have a bad game or else we're screwed!"

 
So you put Sturridge in there instead of Benni and do it with pace. It does look like Mikel is going to struggle to get game time.

 
Why? I don't think Lampard has the stamina these days to play 50 games a season. Mikel will still get decent game time.

I like that 4-2-3-1 set-up. I don't know how happy Sturridge is to play out wide, though.

 
I think this is one of the stupidest moves ever..not only in our history but in premier league transfer history!

If we want Josh to get more game time, give it to him. Bench Benny or use him seldom and only when necessary. Its not like he is on big wages! He is on something like 40k/week, isnt he? As someone pointed out, we are again one injury to Mata away from the exact same situation of the last season! If Essien is making good progress and can be included in the action sooner than speculated, then again why not send the likes of Kalou out on loan, a position in which we have enough options. If we are really crowded in MF players by January send him out on loan THEN! Its not like we are trying to develop a youngster here and a six-month delay in regular game-time, which I doubt he is gonna get at Arsenal btw, is gonna hinder his progress. Its a finished product we have at our hands. Hes 31 FFS and hes been playing in the PL for more than 6 years now!

And why a loan deal for a 31 year old? That too to our rivals Arsenal?! No matter what people say about how weak Arsenal is. Actually we have strengthened their squad by giving out a very good midfielder and more importantly someone whose role is vital in the mode of play that AVB is seeming to adapt in the side! From when has CFC become so generous as to cut out on its own numbers and strengthen the Arse's squad?!

Just f**kin ridiculous! I am SO mad at whoever was instrumental in this!

 
The stupidest move in the premiership transfer history?

I take it you haven't been around for long

 
Benayoun has never been anything more than an average, lightweight player well suited to a mid table team.

He is no great loss to us. We should never have signed him in the first place.

A sale would have been preferable, but at least he didn't go to a rival team.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
More I think about this guys, I think it might be a wages thing. That is something we really wanted to do this summer, but none of the big earners Anelka, Drogba, Malouda could be budged. Yossi's wages wouldn't be insignificant and if he was willing to go elsewhere then we felt it best to make that sacrifice.
Yep that's the best reason I can come up with too.

Sadly that's what happens when you overload your squad with ageing players on big, expensive contracts.

The squad management these past five years has been appalling , admittedley the constant change of managers hasn't helped but we are now seeing the results of , and having to quickly deal with years of bad planning and short term thinking.

 
Chelsea supporters will never be happy, had we signed Modric for 30m + Alex some of you would have gone mental.. always has to be something to nag about from some of you.. AVB is the manager, he knows what he is doing and I can't see losing a 31 year old Benayoun being a bloody disaster that will f**k up our season really..

Oh btw, Luiz and Sturridge are back now as well..

 
I'll be perfectly honest, the move is pretty baffling to me, I can't understand why we did it unless Benny really wanted out in which case we were as well getting him out of the dressing room before there was an atmosphere created by it or something. I'm just speculating obviously, the fact we sold him to cross town rivals is really quite bizarre but at the end of the day there's stuff going on in any club that only the higher-ups know, and the only reason I could see us bailing them out is if we had first option on someone AVB or the scouts rate.

I'm willing not to pass judgment for a while on it anyway, on the face of it obviously a bad move but we'll see if it turns out to be a surprising and canny move down the track. At the very least there will be a bit of good will from the highers up at Arsenal when we come knocking as we gave them a hand when they were in crisis, or at least one would hope so. But I'm probably being a bit deluded and naive, but that's par for the course with me anyway.

 
I dont see why you guys are flipping about Benayoun

We have Mata and we have sturridge and we have so many players , besides benayoun has the achilles tendon problem , which is going to haunt him and if we rely too much on Yossi , it will hamper our season

I see this as a good move , getting a more stable central midfielder in the form of meireles , instead of benayoun , and besides its a loan , so if benayoun does have a good season , we can always keep him for next season , although it would be unlikely that he would stay

 
At least no one on here overreacted about anything, I think that's the main positive we can take.

Oh, and personally I think that Benayoun was moved on so that McEachran becomes the natural substitute to bring on in midfield when creativity is required. More game time for him, isn't that something you've all been screaming for? As has been stated, some people will never be happy.

 
Chelsea supporters will never be happy, had we signed Modric for 30m + Alex some of you would have gone mental.. always has to be something to nag about from some of you.. AVB is the manager, he knows what he is doing and I can't see losing a 31 year old Benayoun being a bloody disaster that will f**k up our season really..

Oh btw, Luiz and Sturridge are back now as well..
do you not see the reasons ppl are pissed off we have loaned a 31yr old out of a postion were we are not flowing with options we dont have alot of mids who can do somthing diffrent or didnt you notice against stoke? or maybe missed it against laboured win aginst wba . same with norwich if we get a couple of injurys we in trouble even if he is just rideing the bench its surely better he rides ours not arsenals

 
okay so we have a squad with limited creativity.

we then decide to let yossi talk to other clubs.

then we let him go out on loan. we don't sell him, we loan him.

but not to any club, but to arsenal, who have made over 50m in sales.

we've strengthened arsenal in exchange for weakening an already weak aspect of our squad.

I find this transfer completely indefensible. can anyone explain how this has been allowed to happen?
This sums up my feelings on this one completely.

Unless there is something we don't know about it just seems complete madness.

I was actually against breaking the bank for Modric when we had 2 decent options at our disposal in Yossi and Josh, neither of which have really had a consistant run in the team to show what they could do in that position so to eaken ourselves further in the position that we were trying to strengthen makes no sense to me at all.

And then there is the fact we are helping Arsenal out? Why? I mean I know they are all over the place at the moment but in my book they are still a direct rival, with Arteta (which I think is a great signing for them, class player) they could potentially pick up form and be competing with us come the end of the season for a Champs League spot. Strengthening Arsenal and weakening a position we are lacking in, I just don't get it. The more I think about this one the more frustrated I get, Yossi also looked one of our brightest sparks in pre-season along with Strurridge, I think we would have been pleasantly surprised at what he could bring in terms of creativity had we given him a decent run.... *sigh*

 
I really haven’t seen enough of Meireles to form a valid opinion but all I can surmise is that Dalglish is trying to build a side and is quite a shrewd bloke and if he is happy to let Meireles go, he can’t be all that. Like others, I am astounded that we have let Benayoun go who we all know CAN be creative.

We’ll just have to trust AVB on this one for now – maybe he is right and Dalglish is wrong?

I’m also surprised that we have retained all of our strikers. The squad does seem to be unbalanced with the lack of quality in midfield and yet up front we now have Drogba, Torres, Anelka, Sturridge, Kalou and Lukaku. Will we rotate or just end up with some unhappy players getting little playing time?

I suppose we shouldn’t forget that hopefully Essien will return at some point and in January Piazon will be available which will give us two more midfielders but today I’m not as happy with the squad as I was this time yesterday!

 
do you not see the reasons ppl are pissed off we have loaned a 31yr old out of a postion were we are not flowing with options we dont have alot of mids who can do somthing diffrent or didnt you notice against stoke? or maybe missed it against laboured win aginst wba . same with norwich if we get a couple of injurys we in trouble even if he is just rideing the bench its surely better he rides ours not arsenals
Josh McEachran.

 
He's been sent on loan because with the Raul deal he wouldn't of made the 25 man squad and no point having his wages on the book if he's just going to play in the reserves. We have 26 players right now the extra is Essien who won't be registered until January which means i think we are going to be active again because somebody needs to go out and i think i could see two players leaving maybe not both sold but i think we will buy another creative midfielder in January with the freed up space and it could very well be Modric. I'm happy for McEachran!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I completely agree, this is one of the most stupid things i have ever seen Chelsea do. For starters we have now made one of our rivals stronger also Arsenal arent going to buy him next summer, they only got him as a stop gap. His price will go down due to his age next summer and AVB said we were short of 2 midfielders and what do we do, buy one and then loan one out so we are still short.

 
He's been sent on loan because with the Raul deal he wouldn't of made the 25 man squad and no point having his wages on the book if he's just going to play in the reserves. We have 26 players right now the extra is Essien who won't be registered until January which means i think we are going to be active again because somebody needs to go out and i think i could see two players leaving maybe not both sold but i think we will buy another creative midfielder in January with the freed up space and it could very well be Modric. I'm happy for McEachran!
I think this is a good explanation. On the face of it, this seems a ridiculous deal, as Benayoun offers something we are short of, in creativity, and the ability to go past people, and Meireles isn't that type of player.But Essien's injury also leaves us short in equally crucial areas, and the squad size rule meant a choice had to be made. With the two JMs - who need and deserve a lot of playing time this year - we probably wouldn't have given YB that many opportunities anyway.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top